Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Stereo.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

fwiw I've only extensively played the Quad mixes in this set rather than the Stereo but have found VI to have overall the best sound quality of all of them, with VIII possibly the least impressive sounding, so I would say maybe try the Quad of VI next and see if you enjoy the sound of it more than CTA & the Hits comp.?

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

This Chicago Blu-ray box set of Chicago's 70's albums is very enjoyable to listen to if you have an Oppo UDP-25 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc Player, a McIntosh multi channel A/V processor, a McIntosh MC205 200 watts/channel multi-channel power amplifier and two pairs of B&W 805 speakers and REL subwoofers. I'm dreaming again!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    quicksrt likes this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Actually you need two sets of B&W 805 speakers and ideally four REL subwoofers. Any Oppo from the 83 model on will do;)

audiomixer likes this.
  5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Correct, 2 sets of B&W 805 D3. The new Oppo UDP-205 sounds great!

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Up next is one of the Blu-rays from the Quadio set. I have different gear but it's just as enjoyable :)!

7. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

I recently acquired this set and I am puzzled by the output. The 4.0 sound is being sent to my front (2), center, and left rear surround channel only. I have checked my receiver and Blu-ray player settings and I am puzzled. From reading past reviews, I assumed that only my front and rear channels would be active. Please advise.

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Do you have any other four-channel discs? My hunch would be that you have a wiring problem such that what should be in your right rear channel is coming out of your center channel. The only thing that makes me think this couldn't possibly be the case is that it seems like you surely would have noticed before that what should logically be coming from the center channel was instead coming from your right rear speaker. But it seems even more unlikely that you got discs manufactured with this screw up when I haven't read anyone else indicate they have had this problem.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. beatlesfan68

I have tried 2 different Blu-ray players, checked all speaker connections and listened to other Blu-rays, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs.
    Same problem exists with the Chicago discs.
    Can you recommend any 4-channel discs that I could try ?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

By checking speaker connections, do you mean you either used a test disc or something built in your receiver or blu-ray player that allows you to play white noise isolated to each channel in succession to verify that the speaker wires are hooked up to the correct outputs?

scobb, Bill Mac and longdist01 like this.
  11. beatlesfan68

White noise generated through my receiver.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If it was one disc, I could see where there might be an authoring error. But all discs? Unlikely.

JediJoker and audiomixer like this.
  13. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Your troubleshooting method appears to be sound.
    This may seem obvious, but have you completely disconnected power to your receiver for 15 seconds to reset the logic?

Once, after exiting an auto-calibration of my AVR, it got into a strange state like you are describing.
    Steering the channels got mis-directed, no matter what I switched around at the source.
    A power cycle reset it back to normal.

The 1973 Quad Best of The Doors Blu-Ray from the The Singles box set is identical, 4.0 DTS-HD Master Audio 192.
    For >$13 you need this if you don't have it.

Mal, JediJoker and audiomixer like this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I would check if your blu-ray player is set for LPCM or bitstream.

JediJoker likes this.
  15. beatlesfan68

Bitstream.
    I just tried the Doors Singles 4.0 Blu-ray and it does the same, so I believe it must be a 4.0 channel decoding issue with my Denon receiver. I am using HDMI from both Blu-ray players to the Denon. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    JediJoker likes this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Re-author using Audiomuxer adding silent center and sub channels. It will do both with a few clicks.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm pretty sure these discs have a silent center chan already. It's a set up issue with equipment most certainly.

lv70smusic and JediJoker like this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Try LPCM to receiver or go through analog outs if that's a possibility...

JediJoker likes this.
  19. Hymie the Robot

No they don't.

JediJoker likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

How do you know this? It has been stated that SACD MC layer has to include a center channel or modern systems can't play them. It's a part of the standard.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Re-author every disc he has? I’m not sure that’s really the best solution.

JediJoker likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, I believe all 4.0 SACD are really just 5.1 with silent center & sub channels. Or 3.0’s like the Living Stereo’s are 5.1 with silent rears and sub.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

BluRays too, they had to have a standard or things would be very messy.

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Have you tried pulling the power to the receiver, waiting a short time and then plugging it back in again so that it reboots when you turn it back on, as suggested by ~dave~~wave~ above [post #2337]?

JediJoker likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Is that right? I wonder why DVD-Audio Extractor sees quad BDs as 4 channels and 5.1 BDs as 6 channels when ripping?

JediJoker likes this.