Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Then try LPCM and let the blu-ray do the decoding. See if that works.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

If it isn't a setup issue and his player doesn't support 4.0 discs, what other options are there if he wants to listen to them in multichannel? Get a new player? Move to a computer based system? Best solution? If you have the tools and know how to use them, re-authoring is cheap and simple.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sorry but that seems like a tail wagging the dog solution to me. If you have a car and it will only turn left, do you only take routes that avoid right hand turns or do you fix the car?

JediJoker likes this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

I play back all my discs using a PC and I have ripped them. I double checked one of my ISO's before posting here and Audiomuxer clearly shows it as 4.0. 5.1 and 5.0 discs are much more compatible and that is why Audiomuxer has a simple one click solution to turning 4.0 discs to 5.1 with blank center and LFE.

5. Hymie the Robot

Thanks for that analogy. That gave me a good chuckle. Discs are a dollar and the software is free. Buying a new car is expensive. Have you given a better solution?

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief. The point is the problem likely hasn’t been identified. Find the problem, i.e. fix the car, rather than avoid right turns.

You’re assuming the problem is the player. But he’s tried two different players...same result. So the problem is likely somewhere between the audio out of the player(s) and his speakers.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    JediJoker likes this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Which players specifically? Does the processor have multichannel analog?

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There is no 4 channel area on an SACD. Only 2, 5, and 6.

9. Hymie the Robot

The box are all blu-ray's.

JediJoker likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You responded to a post about SACDs.

11. Hymie the Robot

Sorry if I confused you. My post was in the context of the thread and not specifically about SACD's.

12. Hymie the Robot

I didn't see the second part of your post.

Actually he believes it is his receiver not his players. It is not processing the 4.0 properly and it needs a standard 5.0 or 5.1 to play properly. I am only assuming that he tried both bitstream and pcm settings and neither worked.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But the Chicago BD-A’s are DTS-HD MA only IIRC. I find it very hard to believe that his Denon receiver - which is licensed to support DTS-HD MA - wasn’t built fully to spec for DTS-HD MA.

But anything is possible I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  14. Hymie the Robot

I burned backup copies of all my Quadio discs without adding the fake center and LFE and they all play fine on my Oppo using analog out to my 5.1 preamp.

You would think it could handle it but I have seen the problem before and there is a reason Audiomuxer specifically added the option in its settings. Trouble shooting over a forum is not easy.

15. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

I unplugged the Denon for 60 seconds to reset the unit, but the problem persists.
    I have never encountered an issue like this before.
    My speaker connections are correct.
    I am able to play Blu-ray, SACD and DVD-Audio discs in correct surround sound.
    The problem still seems to be a processing issue with the Denon receiver, specifically 4.0 channel discs.
    The receiver is the Denon AVR-789.
    Question for any Denon owners:
    Could the receiver be trying to "upgrade" the 4.0 into 5.1 and it causes a snafu in the process?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Are the Chicago discs the only Quad discs you have? Do you have any of the Audio Fidelity Quad SACDs? If so, do they work okay?

As I said earlier, the Chicago discs are DTS-HD MA and your receiver was licensed to support DTS-HD MA - and thus it should perform to spec.

Have you looked at the AVSForum to see if anyone has reported a similar issue with the AVR789? I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a dedicated thread to your receiver.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. Pizza

I have the same receiver. Setting your bluray player to pcm will resolve the issue. When I set it as bitstream it made a center channel. When set to pcm, all was fine and there was no center channel.

BeatleJWOL, quicksrt and JediJoker like this.
  18. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I trust that you realize that many SACDs do indeed include 4.0 mixes which simply happen to leave the Center and Sub Channels unused.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. beatlesfan68

Should I set the receiver to pcm as well ?

20. Pizza

I didn't do anything with the receiver other than checked its model number. I have three denon receivers so when you said the model number I thought I'd check to see if one was the same. It was. The bluray player was set for bitstream and sure enough, the middle channel had sound with Chicago. I changed the setting on the bluray player to pcm and no more middle channel.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Interesting how some are having issues with the Quadio 4.0 quad mix. Is it just with Denon AVRs? I have no problem using bitstream with an Oppo 105D and Emotiva XMC-1. I prefer using bitstream so the display on the XMC-1 shows the codec being used.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ll repeat. There is no 4 channel area on SACDs. What part of that is in conflict with what you wrote?

JediJoker likes this.
  23. beatlesfan68

I switched the Panasonic Blu-ray player to PCM and that did the trick.
    I will keep the Sony Blu-ray player at Bitstream and use it exclusively for movies.
    Thank you to all for their suggestions.
    Mike

24. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

For the win! :righton:
    Interesting and confusing problem, as there seem to be few titles produced in Blu-Ray 4.o DTS MA.
    I certainly learned some useful theory and troubleshooting.

History records the correct diagnosis suggestion was made 60 hours ago.
    Send that cat a pizza. ;)

LEONPROFF and Pizza like this.
  25. Pizza

Thank you, ~dave~~wave~!