Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have dealt with the good doctor a few times, each was corrected without issue. This includes sending out a replacement box set when one appeared lost. Of course both showed up the same day and I was told to keep them due to the delay.

Sometimes it does take a while for a response so fret not.

JediJoker and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would not assume this. There wasn’t a recall so any initial press boxes that didn’t sell early would remain in retail inventory until sold.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Considering they were unavailable for some time, it seems likely most copies in stock now would be the corrected versions.

Plan9, JediJoker and formu_la like this.
  4. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Huh?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

At least on CTA the horns on many (all?) tracks are in one of the rear channels.

6. And if that bothers him, he can always switch to 2.0, which sounds nice too.

steve722 and gregorya like this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe. But I wouldn’t assume it.

8. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

To me, the whole point of buying and listening to the Quadio is to experience the original, discrete quadraphonic mixes.

9. I understand. I’m sure that’s why most bought it. I enjoy the 2.0 mix because it’s high resolution and to me sounds great too.

steve722 and SteelyNJ like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've never listened to the stereo mixes of the Quadio discs and probably never will. I'm sure they sound great but as long as I have a surround setup it'll be 4.0 quad only :).

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Same here. Not even curious. :winkgrin:

fredblue, privit1, formu_la and 2 others like this.
  12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm two years late in agreeing. Just one example of dozens of reasons why, for me: in the quad "The Road" Kath's guitar bursts come at you from the rear left, and powerfully. In the 5.1 DVD-A they're just kind of smooshed across the fronts, almost buried.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  13. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Just picked this up. My God, does this sound GREAT! Playing Chicago III now. And for about 100 bucks, everyone should own this.
    Still wish I knew what exactly the issues with the first pressing of the box were though...

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's on the stereo layer (not the quad) of Chicago II, a couple of songs go mono, and lose a channel I think as well.

JediJoker likes this.
  15. Trainspotting

Yeah, I just read that. I'm not really interested in the stereo layer of the set anyway, but I'll have to play it just to make sure.

fredblue likes this.
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Plus something was wrong on Greatest Hits, replacement discs were issued for both.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Wait ‘til you get to “Wishing You Were Here”...!

pdenny likes this.
  18. Trainspotting

Well, I just listened to the stereo layer of disc 2 and wouldn't you know it - it's the mono fold down. Apparently, amazon hasn't rid itself of the troublesome first pressings. I guess they think your average listener wouldn't notice. I probably wouldn't notice had I not known of this thread. I might not even have played the stereo layer! Anyway, I contacted Rhino and told them I bought it from amazon. We'll see how long they take to respond and if they'll send out replacement discs.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I contacted them numerous times way back when the set first came out, even by regular mail (the kind that you put a stamp on) and never got a response.

20. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I think that makes you the exception, rather than the rule. Dr. Rhino hooked me up.

21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I had no problems getting my replacement discs.
    I think you should contact amazon and get them to replace it

Bill Mac and longdist01 like this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I contacted Dr. Rhino when I first got my set and got a response in a few days. It took awhile to get my replacement discs but they did arrive. Love this set :)!

Doing a quick search it seems apparent that there are plenty of places to buy the Quadio box set. I'm sure the SH member that bought up a bunch of sets claiming it was OOP and his "industry connections" said the same ;). Oh well he can give all those sets to friends and family as Christmas stocking stuffers :D.

Shvartze Shabbos and JediJoker like this.
  23. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

It takes time for them to respond but they will. Try again. Took 2 emails before they replaced the discs for me.

Bill Mac and JediJoker like this.
  24. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Agree with several above. Don't contact Amazon, contact Dr. Rhino. It did take awhile, but I did get the replacement disks.

Bill Mac and JediJoker like this.
  25. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

My replacements reached the UK quite quickly.