Quadio, Which group is deserving for the next quad boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

How about Bread and solo David Gates?

Chris C and fredblue like this.
  2. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I might be wrong about this, but I think that the multichannels currently in the Warner vaults were 5.1s for proposed DVD-Audio releases. They were never issued because of inability to agree on a royalty rate. Publishers wanted to be paid for EACH layer and the label said no.

chas1 and makedatmusic like this.
  3. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Not sure what is sitting in the vaults but Sly & The Family Stone came to mind. I've got Small Talk on quad, the Greatest Hits came out in quad.

For "totally not going to happen" The Stylistics, a CTI/Kudu jazz-funk quad set (Deodato, Airto, etc.) or the Billingsgate label from Germany that put out several quad Krautrock titles.

fredblue likes this.
  4. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

oh yes! I'd love a Poco Quadio-style box!
    fwiw, the Quad of "Crazy Eyes" saw re-release on DTS CD back in the late 90's and is worth tracking down, the remix is excellent, quite distinct from the Stereo, apart from the obvious surround aspect it just has a very different feel and sounds great too.. the "Seven" & "Cantamos" Quads are to me absolutely stunning, those two albums were reputedly recorded from the ground up with Quad in mind and tracks like 'Rocky Mountain Breakdown' & 'Sagebrush Serenade' bear that out, to me they are absolutely incredible in surround, real demo worthy stuff imho.

5. fredblue

such a Quad box would comprise 11 albums in all if it were to include;

Jefferson Airplane:
    Bark,
    Volunteers,
    Worst Of

Jefferson Starship:
    Dragon Fly,
    Red Octopus,
    Spitfire

Hot Tuna:
    America's Choice,
    Burgers,
    Electric Hot Tuna Recorded Live,
    Yellow Fever

Paul Kantner & Grace Slick:
    Sunfighter

6. fredblue

there's also Sly's solo album "High On You" that made it out in Quad (weird album, weird mix, i don't dislike it) plus there've been rumours over the years of an unreleased Quad of "There's A Riot Goin' On".

the Stylistics Quads could be something Dutton Vocalion might be interested in doing (only heard two of them to date, S/T & "Lets Put It All Together", they're rare birdies Japanese CD-4 only like the Van McCoy's & most of the Motown Quads but the LPs are on the shopping list just in case nobody ever gets around to reissuing them/any come up for sane money..).

ooh yeah..!! there's some real Quad treasures on CTI/Kudu, would make an awesome Quad box, incl;
    Airto; "Fingers",
    Deodato; "Prelude" & "Deodato 2",
    George Benson; "Body Talk",
    Hank Crawford; "Wildflower",
    Johnny Hammond; "Higher Ground",
    Don Sebesky; "Giant Box",
    Stanley Turrentine; "You Don't Mess With Mister T",
    Grover Washington Jr.; "Soul Box"

7. Elvis Presley:

1. Elvis On Stage
    2. That's The Way It Is
    3. Madison Square Garden
    4. Aloha from Hawaii
    5. Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
    6. Promised Land
    7. Elvis Today
    8. From Elvis in Memphis

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I can't think of any at the moment except for Jethro Tull, which was on Reprise/Warner originally, then to Columbia/Sony and then to Capitol/EMI, landing back "home" when most of the EMI catalog went to Universal, but some of the smaller labels and part of Capitol went to Warner under the "Parlophone Group of Labels" moniker.

fredblue likes this.
  9. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

Columbia consistently produced the best most "discrete" quad mixes.

chas1, makedatmusic and fredblue like this.
  10. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Whats your source on a 2nd Run being issued? Inquiring minds want to know

11. fredblue

inclined to agree with you on that, there are some great mixes from other labels (the Doobies really are excellent and up there with the finest rock & pop examples of Quad I've ever heard) but particularly have a fondness for two of Columbia's most prolific Quad remix engineers; Don Young and Larry Keyes.
    when I see their names credited on an old SQ Quad record, more often than not the result is something special.
    Keyes remixed, among others; Loggins & Messina x 3, BT Express, Johnnie Taylor "Eargasm", Earth Wind & Fire "Spirit", Isleys "Go For Your Guns", Johnny Nash "My Merry Go Round", 360 Degrees Of Billy Paul, Santana (1st album, III, Caravanserai), Poco "Crazy Eyes" and
    Young remixed; Billy Joel x 3, Poco x 2, Reo Speedwagon x 2, Jeff Beck Group x 2, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Rick Derringer "All American Boy", EW&F "Head To The Sky", Janis Ian "Between The Lines", Edgar Winter "Shock Treatment" & "They Only Come Out At Night"... all wonderful examples of Quad imho :)

Steel Horse likes this.
  12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware Thread Starter

The problem is Warner no longer controls the Sinatra catalog, it's all though Universal.
    His Reprise catalog is controlled by Concord.

It was mentioned here.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I know and it sickens me. Talk about a "complete disaster"

14. Billion$Baby

15. For those of you with the ability to play back Quad LPs: is it possible to do needle drops in flac or other format that play back in 4.0 sound?

fredblue likes this.
  16. fredblue

oh absolutely, yes! i've transferred 300+ Quad LPs across the 3 main legacy vinyl formats (SQ, QS and CD-4; the two former matrix-encoded formats decoded with the Involve Surround Master and the latter with a JVC CD-4 demodulator) over to the computer via a Motu interface and encoded as MultiCh FLAC @96/24 over the course of the last approx 18 months.. many late nights hunched over a hot turntable, it's been a lot of fun! :D

17. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Not sure if I am answering your question but here goes.

I recently transferred all my multi-channel SACDs (Elton, Roxy Music, Carpenters,Destiny's Child, Police, James Taylor ) and a few other discs (Eagles, XTC, Queen, Crowded House) to computer as 24/48 WAV files. I know that my SACD player or the discs will eventually fail and this was a bit of self-insurance. My SACD player has 6 analog outputs.

I used a M-audio Firewire 1814 I picked up about 10 years ago to capture the audio. I used Sound Forge Pro to capture and edit the files. Side note: I find the line output of the SACD player too hot, so I placed a mixer between the SACD player and the audio interface with my computer. The mixer is two channels, so I was only able to control the front two channels. I thought this was the best compromise. I know purists might frown on this, but my goal was to capture the multi-channel sound as best I could.

The original transfers remain intact - one file per disc. I then opened these files in Sound Forge and adjusted the volume to compensate for the previously mentioned mixer. I also created individual tracks for each song, these are still 24/48 WAV files. This also gave me the option of omitting tracks that I was less fond of. I even dropped the DJ chatter from the Carpenters "Calling Occupants" track and created a clean intro by duping the keyboard intro (with a slight delay to create a stereo sound) onto the front tracks.

I was able to connect the HDMI out of my laptop to my receiver and listen to the multi-channel output. This was nice.

Even better, I was able to put these files on a USB stick and play them through my Sony Blu-ray Player (BDP-S6500). Eventually I organized these tracks into individual folders by artist. I could take it further and break down the Elton tracks by album - they are listed alphabetically by album which is good enough.

I tried converting the WAV files to FLAC in Sound Forge Pro, but there was no multi-channel output. I did try it in Adobe Audition, and was successful. In my case, the sole advantage of FLAC files was the ability to tag the files.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  18. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

The 3 Aerosmith Quad albums were like rediscovering those albums all over again. :righton:

sbrom and fredblue like this.
  19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Zappa was sued Warner's to get the rights to his music returned to him. If they ever come out, it will be ZFT that does it, not WB.

sbrom and fredblue like this.
  20. fredblue

I did not know that, thanks for the clarification :)

sbrom likes this.
  21. sbrom

sbrom Forum Resident

My personal top Quadio wants, based on what's might be "do-able". That being said I'll take anything we can get :)

1) Doobies
    2) Santana
    3) Eagles
    4) Sinatra
    5) Carly Simon
    6) Joni Mitchell

22. Lord Hawthorne

Somebody from Rhino said it. I don't know if it's on their page yet, but it is reliable.

23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage

24. Billion$Baby

My buddy works at WEA in Burbank...Rhino is also located in the same building. As reported about a week ago the Production Manager at Rhino said there wont be a 2nd pressing. Love how these "yarns" just keep snowballing.

makedatmusic likes this.
  25. Lord Hawthorne

This came two days ago from someone who works there, the decision was just made.

makedatmusic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.