Quadio, Which group is deserving for the next quad boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chas1

chas1 Active Member

Oh, I wanted to add also that I thought Quadradisc didn't need decoded ? Only SQ and QS did. Please advise.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have these three SACDs and they're excellent IMO. The incredible part is that the Dutton Vocalion SACDs are so inexpensive. I hope DV keeps the rock and jazz multichannel releases coming.

Another excellent DV SACD is Pure Prairie League's Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits. Another SACD with two albums on one SACD.

duttonvocalion.co.uk store: Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel] | New releases - Popular | CDSML8527 |

Hymie the Robot and fredblue like this.
  3. chas1

chas1 Active Member

The only issue with DVD-A conversions are that they're expensive if available online. I've seen some as high as the hundreds for these. Luckily I got Neil Young's Harvest DVD-A reasonably cheap.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh gawd yeah. Just recently they issued as you know some prime classical, and I think more easy listening as well. They had to get some of this stuff out for their long term customers who enjoy that the most.

I think right after these are out there in the hands of buyers, we can expect some more pop / rock / jazz or even country titles in quad. We just have to wait about three months more to see some more white hot scorchers like RTF and Alice & Carlos.

fredblue likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Keep an eye out in the classifieds here, as prices have come back down to earth (for a couple of reasons I wont go into) on both used DVD-A and SACDs.

$20 to $30 gets you Steely Dan, and other hot 5.1 mixes like Neil Young even.

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Those three.

7. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

i don't recall Road Food being fake Quad but its been a while since i played it.. nice album anyway, i'll have to give it a spin soon.

8. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I want a Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On to Heroes Are Hard To Find quadio box:)

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware Thread Starter

I would too, but no Mac was issued in quad.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My Road Food CD-4 LP sold like hot cakes, it seemed in demand.

But I believe people can be fooled. Quad was so obscure and mysterious, Still is in some ways.

11. chas1

chas1 Active Member

I was just commenting on one of the LP's I saw on the list here. I don't believe that Best Of Bread 2 was ever released in Quad. I've never seen it anyway and I was looking for the past 8 years for it on eBay and have never seen it show up or seen it existed. I only have the first Best Of in quad from AF and the LP. Please advise me of this.

12. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I buy Poco in a minute!

13. chas1

chas1 Active Member

I bought my copy of it fairly cheap. I haven't seen RF going for very high price tags. No offense to your comment.

14. chas1

chas1 Active Member

Doobie Bros. are high on my list as well. Come on Warner ! Or should I state, Warner/Rhino ?!

fredblue likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I suggest you join up at the QuadraphonicQuad forums, and you'll find a ton of information there. The site covers surround audio in all forms and formats.

fredblue likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd be happy with a good length Doobie Brothers comp with quad surround layer. Best tracks from the four quad albums would be all killer no filler!

chas1 likes this.
  17. chas1

chas1 Active Member

I have Gaucho in 5.1 but others would be fantastic but I've never seen in 5.1 fro SD.

bluerondo likes this.
  18. chas1

chas1 Active Member

Oh, I already am. That was one other forum I'm a member of. I don't get on there much anymore tho, I've kinda given up on a lot of Quad info at the time, that's just me.

19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

OK, I went and checked my notes, and this is what I wrote when listening to the Q8s: Artificial Paradise = fake, Power In The Music = fake, Flavours = double stereo.

Pelvis Ressley and fredblue like this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

QuadraDiscs needed a CD-4 decoder set up properly, a high end cartridge with a Shibata stylus aligned perfectly. low capacitance tonearm wiring, and finicky setup and tweaking to work properly.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

On Spinners, you forgot "Mighty Love" which was also issued on CD-4 QuadraDisc and Quad 8 track cartridge.

bluerondo likes this.
  22. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Doobies...

fredblue likes this.
  23. Regarding the comments about the Chicago Quadio box being a success, why believe that optimistic view? I bought it at a discount as did many others so it may have sold out but at the low price and with the expensive disc replacement program required, I doubt if it was profitable at all.

24. chas1

chas1 Active Member

I just checked the Quad list of LP's and Q-8's and Best Of Bread II did not exist in Quad.

25. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware Thread Starter

You can scratch the two Franks off the list.
    Zappa is controlled by the ZFT, they blew it since they should have added it to Crux Of The Biscuit. The quad mix as a extra would have been killer.
    Sinara is now controlled by Concord and the Sinatra Family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.