Quadio, Which group is deserving for the next quad boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Nashville Skyline is a neat quad recording. In "Nashville Skyline Rag", the quad remixing engineer (Neil Wilburn who was the recording engineer for the original stereo album) played neat games with the lead guitar running around the room. Columbia Sony missed a tremendous opportunity when they did the Dylan SACD set by not releasing Nashville Skyline's already existing quad mix.

The Eagles "One Of These Nights" album also has a fabulous quad mix with the lead guitars running around the soundstage.

America's "Holiday" album oughta be released in its quad mix. The vocals on "Tin Man" are incredibly dramatic in quad.

There's a wonderful free SQ decoder out there which does a fabulous job of decoding SQ LP's and making them into multichannel WAV files. It's called "SQ Decode" and it's available here:

SQdecode

Also, if you have Usenet, the group alt.binaries.sounds.dts has an incredible wealth of quad LP's decoded to DTS WAV files.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I'll step in with my own answer. There was a special quad supplement in an issue of Billboard in the fall of 1971 that included an interview with Eddie Kramer in the studio, playing Hendrix tapes and playing with the mixers to demonstrate how good his stuff would sound in quad. this doesn't prove he made mixes on tape, but it seems likely that he did, given his enthusiasm and freedom to do so.

3. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've seen him over the moon just playing back the multis and isolating this bit and that, he also did a quad mix of In The West I think it was, and it remains unreleased, so it seems obvious to me that there would have been different mixes done just for his own enjoyment.

I see Lord Hawthorne beat me to it:)

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So what? I saw Becker and Fagan doing the same thing with Aja multis and there is no surround mix of Aja.

Twiddling around with the multis with a smile on your face and being commisioned to do complete 4.0 and/or 5.1 mixes are two entirely different things - for a number of reasons.

5. Lord Hawthorne

You probably know that the reason Aja isn't out in surround is that some tapes are missing, and also that Fagen and Becker would have released it if they could have done a complete job on it, being that F&B have long been favorable to surround mixing. It's not known if releasing surround mixes were pitched to the various Hendrix estate administrators, and what their attitude to that was, so you're comparing apples to oranges.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’re right, it is apples and oranges - as was your wishful thinking rationalization that Kramer’s giddiness at fiddling with the multitracks (while ignoring practical realities) means that surround mixes were done for his three core albums.

That was my point.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hey, here we go...howabout a various-artists, themed box? Maybe your label has a handful of great artists who released one or two titles, of similar work? California "Jackson-Browne-ish" contemporaries (Warners, are you listening?); Phiadelphia International could do a killer Philly Soul collection; Columbia could re-pack Bill Chase's debut with a few other hi-octane thrillas...maybe something New-Orliented, or a stack of Stax? Imagine the possibilities! The possibilities that don't have to be my favorite suggestions so far (by this I mean, Santana, The Doobs or The Guess Who). I could really go for some off-the-wall group like Passport Imports, packaging a handful of Jimmy-Carter-era electronica...

fredblue likes this.
  8. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

i'd love a Quadio Philadelphia International box but the PIR Quads (12 in total = 5 x O'Jays; Ship Ahoy, Live In London, Survival, Family Reunion, Message In The Music, 3 x Billy Paul's; 360 Degrees Of, Live In Europe, War Of The Gods, 2 x Harold Melvin's; Black & Blue, Wake Up Everybody, 2 x MFSB; Love Is the Message, Philadelphia Freedom) are i think unlikely anytime soon sadly, as Sony did a comprehensive PIR box set (no Quad mixes included afaik) that is still in print.

the obvious candidate to add to the Chase S/T Quad would be Chase "Pure Music", also mixed in Quad.. to me Pure Music is a better album, better sounding too and a better surround mix, one of my all-time favourite Quads.

a stack of Stax Quads would be amazing! the mixes are incredible!
    (6 in total = 5 x Isaac Hayes; Shaft, Joy, Tough Guys, Live At The Tahoe, Truck Turner, 1 x Staple Singers; Be What You Are) i'm unsure whose control these catalogues come under now, maybe Concord, or Universal?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. Lord Hawthorne

Consider that if Kramer was trying to get a quad mix of a Hendrix album released, he would play a prepared quad mix (maybe only one song) to the powers that be. It often happens that the execs tell an engineer and/or producer to demonstrate what they have in mind for a proposed project.

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

wasn't the first 2 recorded 4 track? I know AYE was, not sure of Axis...but anyway, isn't 4 tracks reproduced in 4 channels quadraphonic? :)

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

1.T-Rex-Electric Warrior
    2.T-Rex-The Slider

chas1 likes this.
  12. Lord Hawthorne

I don't know, but it's been done before.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  13. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think they did it for the Jefferson airplane worst of Surrealistic Pillow tracks.

14. Lord Hawthorne

I th
    I think those were eight track, but the "Takes Off" songs sound like they were using four tracks.

15. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Takes Off was 3 track, Pillow was 4.

16. chas1

chas1 Active Member

17. chas1

chas1 Active Member

That's a quad release ? I never saw 4.0 on Acoustic Sounds' site.

18. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually, no. You could balance certain tracks between or among different channels. Plus if the bounces were saved, you could more than 4 tracks to work with.

I still am highly skeptical that 4.0 mixes were ever made of any of the 3 core Hendrix LPs.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

21. Lord Hawthorne

I'm curious about that too.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You may know this already. AF had not yet taken the plunge in regards to adding an additional layer to their SACD product at the time of B$B reissue.

AF saw their CD sales going south, switched to SACD product and things got better for a while. Then adding quad and surround layers helped increase sales, but not enough to cover additional licensing and mastering costs.

I think that they should have raised prices by $5 a unit for any SACD with surround layer on it. Everything else has gone up from MFSL and AP to the drive through at McDonald's.

There would be rumblings about paying more but that's the way it has to be, especially for those rare quad layers. B$B is one that is worth the extra fiver for sure.

Hymie the Robot and fredblue like this.
  23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have no problem with A.F. charging an extra dollar for their "surround" layer, but after that debacle with that Sly & The Family Stone disc (third time was a charm), I can only imagine that the girl who answers their phones at A.F. probably said that if they release another one of those discs with multi layers, that she would quit and I can't blame her if she did! One thing that "all" of these specialty labels (A.F., A.P., A.S. and MFSL) have learned, especially from the members of THIS forum, is that NOTHING will get past us! Can you imagine why they have slowed down how many of these "quad" discs have been released lately. I welcome them, all the same, as it should be a win-win, especially for the labels, who have been storing these "quad" mixes for all of these years, to finally cash in on them, right?

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well she stuck around for another half dozen or so at least, quad layered SACDs I would guess. Jobs don't bite you in the ass, lol!!!! Unless she did quit over that Sly Hits debacle.

No I said five dollars a disc is needed to cover additional costs associated with getting a quad layer on an SACD disc that sells 2,000 to 4,000 units. For some reason AF did not want to charge any more. I think that they are afraid of offending the stereo only crowd.

The reason that they stopped (not simply slowed down), is cost of licensing and mastering that 4-channel tape was not recouped in full quick enough or at all. It adds expense that often did not pay off in the long run.

25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'll meet you half way on the pricing at $2.50 extra per release and I naturally was only joking about the gal at A.F., as I felt for her, as she had to take all of the calls from all of us, regarding a replacement disc for that Sly Stone disc. I'm sure that she is a great employee and they should be lucky to have her! Sorry to hear that A.F. is out of the "surround layer" game, as they certainly had some good releases, not counting the truly foolish ones like Mannheim Steamroller. Oh well, the UK company "Vocalion" has recently jumped head first into the "surround SACD" game, so here's hoping that they have better success with it!

Art Garfunkel's "Breakaway" would be a good choice for a surround SACD!

fredblue and boggs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.