Quadraphonic 8-tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Carl Steward, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a system in the early 1970s, but only a couple of tapes. I do recall they sounded pretty compelling. I recall having Ten Years After "A Space In Time" and a few others. They were hard to come by and expensive, as I remember, and when you played them in a regular 8-track player with only 2 speakers hooked up, you got blank patches of sound.

It astounds me what these tapes go for on eBay these days, though. Fifty bones for Mac Davis!! Anybody remember a quad tape that was particularly stirring?

Quad 8 Track - Mac Davis | eBay

clhboa, aphexj and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Some have longer songs on them, like John Lennon's "Steel And Glass" (one minute longer), some go beyond the fade and come to a cold end, like Santana's "Evil Ways", some are different takes, like Jethro Tull's "Wind Up". Some great mixes like Nilsson's "Jump Into The Fire", it's a long list of delights.

aphexj and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Nowadays it has been rendered useless by the blu-ray editions, all three Pink Floyd quad were really tripping....

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

loved 'em and still do. of course tech 45 years later is better, but in their day quad 8 tracks were a true blast and lux item.

aphexj likes this.
  5. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

One of those tapes I'd love to hear is the quad version of War's "The World Is A Ghetto". Why this was only released as an 8-track, no vinyl, no DVD-A, no Blu Ray Audio, is beyond me. It must sound gorgeous in quad.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I remember being blown away sitting in the backseat of my friend's car listening to the quad THERE GOES RHYMIN' SIMON and Joni's COURT AND SPARK. The stuff coming out of the back speakers was so cool, stuff I never noticed in the stereo versions before. Good times.

Pizza, Jimijam, fredblue and 2 others like this.
  8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Steve, you didn't happen to hear The World Is A Ghetto in quad, did you?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, just what my buddy happened to have. Possibly a Doobie Bros. and a few others.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

My, the Doobies must've been quite compelling in quad as well - I think Toulouse Street got the treatment, IIRC.

11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

it is insanely good. It's well mastered and well balanced as well.

LeBon Bush and Larry Geller like this.
  12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

4 doobie titles, Toulouse, Captain, Vices, Stampede. supposedly they're supposed to get the blu ray treatment but that's been in the ether a while.

LeBon Bush, Dennis Metz and fredblue like this.
  13. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

four Doobie Brothers Quads saw release in all, on CD-4 (QuadraDisc) LP, Q4 (Quad reel to reel) & Q8 (Quad 8-track cartridge);

- Toulouse Street,
    - The Captain And Me,
    - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits,
    - Stampede.

they are uniformly excellent imho, nice and active and immersive surround sound.

14. fredblue

snap! :goodie:
    oops! :shh:

15. fredblue

a couple of pics of some of my Q8 carts. even though my Akai's currently out of action, i can't part with these babies! i will get the deck fixed one of these days so i can get the tapes rolling again.. though mercifully i got reasonable sounding transfers of most tapes onto the computermabob before the player went kaput there's nothing like that whirr, whizz, hiss, thud, cha-klunk you get from the real thing! :nyah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pizza, Dave Thompson and colinu like this.
  16. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

in spite of the love shown the Akai cr80 Dss mine went kaplooey and I'm seeing others in the same state, so I would now advise against this machine except if it's in top working order. Getting it fixed would cost you more than if you just bought another quad 8-track deck.

I keep a lookout for quad decks, and I've now got about 15 of them and have rarely paid more than $35 for any of them. ...the akai cost $150 but I wanted a recorder...
    I also have the Technics quad 8-track recorder which I found in a 2nd hand store for $6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.