"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I noticed that right away, (and mentioned it earlier on ). Certainly sounds like a new vocal to me.

2. dee

dee Senior Member

I thought so reb. For some reason when I read your post last week or earlier about that I thought you were referring to I've Had Enough and got confused at the time. Sometimes I feel like I am 'critical' when I don't want to be, and want to be more 'fair' but despite the temptation here to do so, and that it does sound like a new vocal, I like the idea of it (the additional vocal part in the demo) in the song and when I think of the song when I'm not listening to it, I hear both vocals/melodies. It's like the sound of a younger man and an older man, the same one, ;), singing at one another. It does sound a bit peculiar though. Quite an interesting demo though.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You may be right, although it's hard to tell due to the processing on the vocal, making it somewhat muffled. It does *seem* to be more of Pete's strained/"old" voice though.

Tangent: I really like God Speaks of Marty Robbins.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

That vocal in Is It Me (Sorry for Me, Sorry for Him) is noted on one of Townshend's recording sheets as 'father' and is written next to 'main vocal' in the 5 column and looks to occupy the 6 column, delineating the track it was recorded upon I assume. So...it is possible there was a vintage 'father' vocal that Townshend chose to re-record presently, or the 'father' vocal (however unlikely it may sound) is indeed from 3/20/73 (though it sounds like a present-day PT voice to me, fwiw).

5. dee

dee Senior Member

Agreed. I think he specifically writes about those demos and their place in Q Cloud even more than once throughout the book too. Clearly they were intended to be made available to be heard. Thanks for sharing the feedback you got re: their absence. I do hope we hear those demos eventually along with some Who outtakes PT mentions in an interview posted on the Quadrophenia site - whether it be by some other means other than Q Cloud.

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I never knew that the MCA first mastering originally came in a slipcase. Cheap b******s eliminated it pretty quickly.

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It did not. It originally came in a longbox with 2 individual CD, loaded top & bottom. The slipcase came later, after longboxes were eliminated. Then it disappeared when they remixed the album in 1996.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

That is correct.

Here is my original post:

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Thanks dudes. I never saw any slipcase for this album apart from the long departed MFSL. I must have had the long box original sans slipcase.
    As for the remaster 2CD DE, this turned up yesterday. Sounds very similar to the 1996 at an initial listen, with some minor sound effects changes that are the only things that stand out. This is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. The booklet and presentation are the best I've seen for Quadrophenia on CD AND it has the notes from PT.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Anything more than the noise in 5.15? I honestly haven't listened to the original album all the way through yet.

11. Ken

Ken Forum Resident

Has anybody listened to the new vinyl release of--presumably--the original mix?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Finally got around to listening to the 5.15 45 from the box. Interesting...:

1973 45 (4:51) - Opening Pete vocal more or less centered (very narrow separation overall), lots of vocal reverb, first chorus intact, correct guitar track for first half of solo.

Quad soundtrack LP (4:51) - Opening Pete vocal hard left, first chorus intact, alternate guitar track for first half of solo.

1979 45 (as heard on The Singles) (4:19) - Opening Pete vocal hard left, first chorus edited out, alternate guitar track for first half of solo.

Director's Cut 45 (4:51) - Opening Pete vocal hard left, first chorus intact, alternate guitar track for first half of solo.

Thus, the new 45 isn't even the mix from the soundtrack era 45, it's simply the mix from the soundtrack LP.

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The super deluxe box is currently £65.56 at Amazon UK, the cheapest I've seen it.

14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

At this price, I've ordered a copy, since I've been enjoying the demos so much on Spotify.

It looks as though this set will be OOP before too long.

HMV are out of stock, it is no longer available from The Hut/Zavvi or Tesco Entertainment, & only available through third party sellers at Play.com.

If you are on the fence about getting this, as I have been before now, I'd grab a copy now before it's too late.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is tempting, but $100 USD is still too much for that set as far as I am concerned.

16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I bought it but, it is over priced.

17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

If interested pick it up now! Love mine.

18. How's the remastering?

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

By most accounts, it is pretty nice.

20. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Actually Quadrophenia was out for about a month before the US tour. It was released in mid-October and the tour started the week of Thanksgiving. I saw the two LA Forum shows. I was a diehard 20 year old Who fan, so I thought they were awesome, but I do seem to recall a much bigger response for the non-Quadrophenia songs, plus quite a bit of Pete or Roger trying to explain what the Quadrophenia songs were about.

Other somewhat vague memories: Being so anxious to see the Who that I didn't really notice the opening act, Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    The sound the second night being horrible, but I assume this was because I was sitting behind them and concert sound hadn't evolved to what it is nowadays.
    As I said, the first show just being utterly fantastic, with Pete even smashing a guitar. As he did it I'm just thinking I can't believe I'm seeing this (it was my second ever live Who show).

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Pretty awesome, thanks for sharing that concert experience and all, :thumbsup:.

22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm curious to hear how this compares to the Classic Records reissue or even the 1st UK Track...heck even compare it to the 1st US Brown Track label. Those are all nice, with slight edge going to the first UK Track.

23. The mastering on the 2011 release is definitely different to 1996 release. The EQ has been adjusted. Relative to the 1996, the 2011 sounds slightly softer (less harsh), and rounder/fuller. But it also sounds slightly duller and less defined, particularly noticeable in the vocals and the bass, making them sit a bit further back in the mix.

In my opinion both sound good but have used different approaches. Which is better is something that only the listener and their particular system can decide. If you found the 1996 release too bright or grating, then the 2011 is for you I think. I think that I slightly prefer the 1996 because it is a little more aggressive which seems to suit the subject matter of the album better. Quadrophenia is not easy listening and a smoother mastering might be less desirable. But of course I could be totally wrong and reserve the right to change my mind in the future!

24. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Don't tell that to forum member Mike! :shh: :D

25. dee

dee Senior Member

In the Origins and Development section at Q Cloud there are some interesting pages posted. One includes the title of a song (Thursday) with corresponding track length next to it written amidst many of the other Quadrophenia songs. Also Can't You See I'm Easy, Women's Liberation, I Know What Love Is, and another unreleased song or two are mentioned. Notes elsewhere for Dirty Jobs include both an original mix and a remix. but it is the 'original mix' as written on the final mixing track sheet for that song that is the recording used. Or in some such other language. Many pages of information to read and navigate through, as well as photos, and those too with detailed captions to glean more information from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.