"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ProfBoz, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

not buying 8/17ths of a 5.1 mix

I dont ever remember buying a fraction of an album before.. see no reason to pay a premium. :)

when they get it all together - gladly be the first in line

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

:laugh:

3. :laugh:
    Yes we must all be wrong 'cause we disagree with your assessment of this box set. How are the acoustics in the hole you stuck your head in?
    No future anguished cries...promise.:wave:

4. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

+1 , but not at these prices.
    I am not commenting on the quality of the music or book, but does anybody think the prices on these boxsets as reasonable? For myself, it is a matter of principal not to be taken advantage of like this. It is not a matter of being able to afford these boxsets.
    The 8/17ths of a 5.1 mix is a lazy effort and for most people the reason to purchase this boxset. In my opinion, if the 5.1 disc was not completed, don't released the 5.1 disc until it is finished. JMHO

5. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Just to add a bit of insult to injury, I bought the 2 CD Deluxe and the first CD seems to have broken the 11 year old CD player in my Infiniti G20. Not saying there's a causal relationship but I played it for like half an hour (sounded great by the way). Next time I tried to use the CD player it plays for like 2 seconds and makes a fizzle noise. Now I get an ERR message with ANY CD. Thanks Pete :)

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The Who like to break stuff. :D

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Very few pictures of John on QC.

Attached Files:

8. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Hello,
    I would love to agree with you, but the reason I bought this was to get the 5.1 mix. I do agree with you that book, demos extras, are great. But please don't tell me that you think the 5.1 mixes are as good as they should be with the technology today! The SACD of Tommy sounded amazing! I don't get it.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

The few opinions and comments have been on the positive side though, yes? What do you think/hear? Still waiting on my set to arrive.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The first cd contains the Q-Cloud access code. Could have something to due with your issue. I'll be sure not to play this in any of my vehicles.

12. Lownote30

That's a shame! He added quite a bit to Quad!!!

13. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Yes, I agree most of the comments have been positive - I'm just a bit surprised there have been so few comments on sound in comparison to the total comments. I mean I realize the Who recordings are not Steely Dan or whatever, but the sound is still a main factor in deciding to purchase and/or replace a cd.

So, having listened a few times, mainly in the car (my home audio is bullsh#t - I used to have a very nice system but don't anymore - will get one eventually - it's a matter of $).... I'd say the new remaster is an improvement. I'd say the improvement is somewhat incremental as oppposed to revelatory (like the Aqualung reissue, for instance).

I didn't do any comparisons to the MF gold disc - only the '96. I prefer the '96 mix over the original mainly because Roger is not buried.

I hear more warmth in the new remaster - '96 is definitely brighter to me and a tad bit louder but also muddier. The new remaster has more clarity and a bit more separation, particularly with the bass.

Pete's vox seem a bit more up front on the new remaster in places. Also, less reverb on Roger in Punk/Godfather. I prefer the less reverb vocal so this is good news to me.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

He sure did! Posted the pic with the horn to remind everyone that JE was more than just a great bass player.

15. Lownote30

Yep. Playing brass instruments on nearly every Who album is a big thing he brought to the table. Many people don't know that he was the one member who could read music and do some arranging.

16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Quadrophenia never really appealed to me either. For me personally, 5:15 and LROM have never done anything for me. I prefer the title track, I'm One, The Rock & Cut My Hair.

I've been listening to the demos on this set on Spotify, and have been really enjoying them. I actually prefer the songs Pete left out in comparison to a lot of the songs that made the final album.

17. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I am intrigued. Is "crap uttering" the passing of forged crap with intent to defraud?

18. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

Quadrophenia is one of my favorite pieces of music. I own the Classic vinyl, Three different cd versions as well as the original vinyl. I was really looking forward to this, but after much thought, I just bought the itunes download. I'll buy the complete 5.1 version as soon as Pete gets his act together and does it right.

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Is there any mention of this Q Cloud in the packaging of the box set?

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yes, it is mentioned in the book on page 99 and also on the back of the box (on the glued paper overlay.)

21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

That's very disappointing to hear, especially after the great 5.1 mix done for Tommy.

22. JohnG

Thanks! :wave:

23. JohnG

Listening to the 5.1 mix right now and "The Real Me" is on. Still love that great bass of John but Keith's cymbal crashes are bit bright.

Up to "Quadrophenia" and the mix sounds far away instead of having the power you;d think it would have. No real bottom. The synths also sound like there in another room but the one note piano is prominent.

So far it is not groundbreaking.

24. JohnG

Now up to 5:15 and things haven't improved. Still no Who power to speak of....real wimpy. :(

The whole thing sounds like its being broadcast from another room instead of being up front in my room pounding away (like you'd think).

The Tommy SACD is way better.

Pete needs to revisit this or hire a better engineer (Steven Wilson?) to get this to sound like its supposed to.

25. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

Didn't Pete basically say in his video interview he found Pridden's surround mixes surprisingly subtle and not how he would have done it at all? They should maybe scrap this mix and let someone who knows what they're doing give it a try and let Pete supervise, but that probably won't happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.