Quality John Coltrane Vinyl Reissues. Is It As Confusing As It Seems?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveCam, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just ordered My Favorite Things from Acoustic Sounds, from the link you provided. This was my first time ordering from them so I went through the registration process etc. and tried one order. I am a bit disappointed though because I filled in my shipping information in the calculate shipping section but the order went through without ever telling me how much the shipping will cost or the actual final cost of the album. It only said $19.95 for the album. I don't think that's right. I really thought I would see the shipping cost and the final cost displayed before I pressed the order button. Now the order is gone through but I have no idea what I'm actually paying.

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

They will email you with the shipping cost before it leaves, but you can call them for the total,
    but my experience is shipping 1 record Fed Ex to Canada is about $25. I never order one at
    a time, the sweet spot for spreading the cost of shipping is 5 or 6 records. This isn't Amazon,
    their shipping isn't discounted far bellow the actual cost.

3. SteveCam

$25 U.S eh? That's going to really make this an expensive purchase when exchange is factored in. I think they need a better system, one that gives you the shipping cost and options prior to you making the order. $25 seems pretty pricey for shipping a single record also.

calgary669 likes this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

You can use the calculator at Elusive Disc.

Elusive Disc

If you just enter a single LP, this is what you get.

Shipping Method Cost
    USPS FIRST-CLASS MAIL INTERNATIONAL (7-21 DAYS) $16.23
    FED EX INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY (2-5 DAYS) $29.96
    FED EX INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY (1-3 DAY) $30.75
    USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL (6-10 DAYS) $42.59

Acoustic Sounds only uses Fed Ex for Canada shipments. (usually Priority, but you can request Economy)
    Elusive Disc and Music Matters have a USPS/Canada Post option.
    Music Direct will use Fed Ex.
    Soundstage Direct will use USPS, avoid UPS! (they can charge $50 for customs)

With couriers you'll also be charged $10 brokerage, plus Canadian Tax,
    but with USPS shipments they usually just show up with no taxes or
    extra fees beyond the cost of shipping. If you're concerned about cost,
    then order from places that will ship using the Post Office, it's a lot
    less expensive.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Ken.e. and Fractured like this.
  5. SteveCam

Thanks for the information. It should be more evident on their site all the same, especially for first time customers. Looking at the rates above, I can see that getting items from the U.S, as I suspected will be cost prohibitive. I'm better off chipping away at the Mofi and AP pressings I can find on Amazon.ca at around $50 Canadian a pop.

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Agree that you are in a tough spot. The only other thing I can recommend is going to Duscogs, looking for the titles you want and then seeing if there are any Canadian sellers offering them.

By the way, I was never happy with the sonics on the Atlantic label for Coltrane and the reissues didn't sound much better. YMMV.

7. SteveCam

Discogs never seems great for new albums, along with the shipping. Honestly, Amazon.ca is looking better all the time, warts and all. Third party sellers like Rarewaves or ImportCDs ship from the U.S or Europe for $3.49, and there is no tax. There are still many Mofi and AP titles on there that I don't have. It's unfortunate that many of the Coltrane listings can't be ascertained as to what they are. I'll get the ones I know are good and keep buying more Miles too.

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The provenance is the concern with Amazon as their listings of different issues of the same recording are often incorrect or confusing. But Amazon.ca is a possibility if you can verify with the seller. I was thinking Discogs for used originals or at least decent repressings by BN etc.

9. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I have a Bernie Grundman-cut Coltrane Plays The Blues that Rhino put out several years back. It's one of the best sounding pressings in my collection.

You want the one with the heavy card stock jacket.

joshm2286 likes this.
  10. SteveCam

11. Greetings from a Newfoundland expat. I'm also new to Coltrane on vinyl and I just bought the stereo version (KG Rhino/ RTI) you listed above.
    I've only listened to it twice since last week but it's got depth, warmth, dynamics and sparkle. It's also a quality product; flat, quiet and well packaged. I can't compare with other other reissues or original versions though.

Ken.e. and joshm2286 like this.
  12. SteveCam

Where are you from? I'm up for picking up that version but I can't find it on Amazon and U.S purchases are out. No doubt there is plenty of choice in Toronto.

13. Born and raised in St. John's west end. The CDN price in the link above is on par with what I paid from a brick n mortar here in Toronto. I've seen cheaper Coltrane Scorpio reissues here but I don't do Scorpio product.

14. SteveCam

Where in the West end? I grew up on Holbrook Avenue and Foran Street, around Waterfordbridge Road/Topsail Road. Any link to a Canadian seller?

15. Waterford Bridge Road. I still have family on Thomas Street & Amherst Heights. Are you a FB member of the NL Vinyl Exchange group? You can post WTB.

16. SteveCam

Same area for sure. I am a member of a number of the local groups. Honestly, I'm not too worried. It will show eventually. There are a bunch of records I want, so I'm not going into a panic. Thinking about a trip to Halifax this summer, so might find it there.

17. That's probably a good idea. I'm a little surprised that Fred's Records in St. John's wouldn't stock this one or at least order it for you to save you the shipping/travel hassle.

18. SteveCam

I haven't seen it down there recently. I may inquire but I will still need to know the proper one to buy. There are a number of sketchier pressings out there.

19. SteveCam

That's the one I want also. What other ways identify it other than physically seeing that Rhino hype sticker?

20. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

I put this back on recently, that opening track is seriously awesome. Man when Coltrane and the band were in a groove like that, nobody could touch them !

21. SteveCam

Here's a listing on Amazon for a copy of Ole that is being released in June. Again, no information at all about what the details are.

Ole Coltrane (Vinyl): John Coltrane: Amazon.ca: Music

22. Not to get too far off track but I saw this in Toronto a couple of weeks ago and it's required viewing for any Trane fan. Coming soon to a theatre near you.

http://www.coltranefilm.com/trailer/

23. Not sure but that's as good an indicator as any. Note the thick loose bag instead of tight shrink, as well as the barcode number on the front and the made in USA on the rear.

24. SteveCam

I just received the Org Music 45 RPM x 2 My Favorite Things done my Bernie Grundman, although I also see Chris Bellman's initials in the deadwax. I played it last night and it sounded pretty good. I'm not sure if it blew me away like some of the AP or MFSL jazz reissues I have but it was close. Again, I don't have any point of reference for this album on vinyl. I'm happy with the purchase. There seem to be other titles in this 45 x 2 series, some priced decently on Amazon.ca. I'm thinking of getting some more. Anyone familiar with this series and what titles are available by Coltrane? What's the consensus?

latheofheaven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.