Quality problems with new cassette?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seed_drill, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't actively buy the new indie releases coming out on cassette, but a store owner who knew I like The Sword gave me their limited edition of Apocryphon, and it started to get crunched up this morning. Probably only the second or third time I've ever played it.

Is this a common problem with current tapes?

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

3. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

The few recently manufactured cassettes I've bought haven't had any problem like this. I do recall running across tape players back in the 80's that would sometimes do this to tapes. Usually cheapo brands or well worn decks.

rxcory likes this.
  4. Jeff8086

Jeff8086 Forum Resident

Welcome to my life, circa 1989.

5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Good point. A cheap, excessively dirty or worn-out tape deck could eat tapes like nobody's business; a good, well-maintained deck could play pretty much any crappy tape with no problems. Of course, the higher-end tapes were the most reliable.

Jeff8086 likes this.
  6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I know it has become impossible to buy the higher-quality blank cassettes these days.

7. seed_drill

I'm guessing that's probably the issue. The better formulations are no longer made, even for commercial applications.

8. seed_drill

There are lots of indie bands that are issuing cassette and download only versions of their albums, presumably out of perverse irony. In my case, it was a limited edition promo cassette that I didn't appreciate getting mauled by my Dragon.

Mal likes this.
  9. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I didn't even know they still sold music on cassette.

10. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Modern cassettes are presumably, like pic discs, something that can be played but you're not really supposed to. Thus it wouldn't surprise me if they use cheap materials.

I grew up with tapes and I liked them but they are a pain. If there is one thing I did like about them, the EQ requirements for a tape meant brickwalled stuff didn't sound that bad on them.

11. seed_drill

Yeah, to take it even further, I have that Cheap Trick 8-track that came out several years ago. Sounds like crap (a given with that format), but it plays.

onionmaster likes this.
  12. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

Cor, cassettes, I remember those things. I used to swear by Maxell...I had 10-20 that I rotated during the 80's. Not one ever failed..good days. The Sony Stowaway loved them..

13. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I can only speak from my own experience... but, my cassette copies of Awesome Mix Tape #1 - Local H, Indie Cindy - Pixies, the tape that came in the Pisces Iscariot box set from Smashing Pumpkins and the tapes that came in the two Pearl Jam box sets all play fine and sound pretty good. Will they still play fine and sound as good as the tapes I have from the 80's in 30 years?? Only time will tell. Get back to me on that. :righton:

14. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

15. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I did read recently about someone having high quality tapes and recordings but can't remember where.

16. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

They could make some with no tape inside, just an empty shell! :D

onionmaster likes this.
  17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Really? I just bought a case of Sony metal tapes, reasonably priced too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.