Quality Record Pressings - Excessive Dishing and Warping

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well Thread Starter

It seems like at least half of the LPs I buy that are pressed by QRP have significant dishing or warping. Unfortunately, due to having small children, I sometimes don't get around to playing these until it's past the 30 day return period. Hence, I'm stuck with them.

Am I simply unlucky in the number of dished and warped QRP pressings I receive or is this a widespread issue? I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I get more dished/warped records from QRP than from any other pressing plant.

FashionBoy likes this.
  2. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Seems to be an issue to me.
    Would have hoped they'd have fixed it by now.

3. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

FWIW (and it ain't much, 'cause of the tiny sample size) I have received 9-10 records pressed at QRP and I have had to return three of them due to noise/scuffs/warping. And I'm not real fussy. If this is an endemic problem with them, I hope they figure it out soon and my hunch is they will.

FashionBoy and Kubricker like this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, it's a widespread problem. The beloved Chad is having startup issues.

5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

What a coincidence, I was just going to post something about this. I received 3 albums pressed by QRP today -- the Phoebe Snow 2 LP 45 rpm, Saxophone Colossus, and Cookin' With Miles Davis. Saxophone Colossus is moderately dished, but the Miles Davis is insanely dished. So 1 of 4 discs need to be returned -- better than a few months ago when it was 50-100% defective, mainly dish warping but some noise issues too. Progress? At least the covers are excellent...and that is progress.

BTW, I listened to the first disc of Phoebe Snow and it's killer. Credit where credit is due.

6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I, too, have needed to return two of the seven or so QRP records I've bought in the last year due to warps. At least the return process was pleasant enough, and certainly necessary in the long run. Hopefully, the pressing plant can solve this issue (or maybe they already have on the latest pressings).

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Bobby Benoit likes this.
  8. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I own some Doors and Jimi Hendrix LPs by QRP, all very flat.
    (I have small children too)

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

EndOfTheRainbow likes this.
  10. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

I recently bought Sundazed's reissue of Stand! by Sly and the Family Stone because it was a QRP record. It came and wow, it is seriously warped/dished. I reached out to AS, but haven't heard back yet.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I wonder if this would be happening had they just stuck to 180gram weights

12. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Ive heard the heavier the weight, the longer they take to completely cool and in this hot period they can warp easily.

13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Jesus, why don't you ask for them to open and check prior to sending? Are you seriously happy with a relatively easy - pleasant enough - returning process? Remember, this is a label that proclaims audiphile quality and they cannot even send out records that have been checked and found OK?

14. heimska

heimska Forum Resident

True, the Music Matters releases have completely gotten me off the 200g wagon. Just keep with 180g that is relatively easy to press and turns out supreme results.

15. halftime

halftime Active Member

I can't believe you posted that. Over the last week I have noticed a lot of dishing and warping on Sundazed purchases. I am not sure if they were pressed at QRP or somewhere else but this certainly seems to be a serious issue.

16. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

And on the other hand, every new, cheapy OJC title I have bought recently has been flat, quiet and sounds great. For $12 or so. I've asked before and no one has answered where they are pressed. I don't even know if they are still being pressed or if they are all NOS??

Will AP open/inspect before shipping if you ask?

17. bubba-ho-tep

I wonder if it's a case of serious growing pains at QRP? They seem to have taken on more and more work in the past year which could be resulting in less time available for QC.

Whatever it is, I really hope they get this ironed out soon. QRP is a well-meaning company more than capable of producing pressings that are second to none. I'd hate to see them start to get a Rainbo-like reputation. Abandoning 200g pressings would be an awesome start.

I'm hopeful that they have been made aware of the problem and are addressing it.

I believe Sundazed has been using QRP for a couple of years now.

18. serge

serge Forum Resident

why is so much new vinyl having this problem? anyone know?

19. bubba-ho-tep

My guess: high demand and not enough pressing facilities.

Echoplex likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Quite ironic they are called Quality it seems.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I remember reading a lot bad things at first but I thought they got through the initial issues. I only have 2 or so titles (Hendrix - Live... and Leonard Cohen New Skin...) and they both appear to be perfect.

22. bubba-ho-tep

I think that early on there were issues with off-center pressings. Those have been fixed as far as I can tell.

23. halftime

halftime Active Member

Now that we are on the issue. Is there an effective way to flatten a dished record.

24. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I only have 2 QRP LPs. The Tony Joe White 'Homemade Ice Cream' LP was warped when I got it (bought at a Hi-Fi Show in Dublin, Ireland from Diverse Records (Wales)) but I fixed that relatively easily, the other was the last Lyle Lovett 2LP which was fine. If it's any consolation to you, I recently bought the Stephen Stills/Manassas 'Pieces' 2LP set pressed in Europe, at Pallas I believe. Both discs were very significantly warped, although in pristine condition with a high gloss. Both discs are now perfectly flat and of very high quality. More is the pity that I'll bet that your warped/dished records are of very high quality otherwise?

This is the reason I went out an bought one of the Japanese Disc Flatter devices in 2005. I just could not continue with vinyl unless I had a solution for warps/dishing. There are devices that are substantially cheaper but I don't know how well they work, but others will be able to fill you in.

It's sad to say that in this day and age, if you are a serious or even not so serious collector, you really need to have access to a flattening device (quite expensive) and you also have to have 'a way with a file' as Guy Clark once sung, to get those discs to revolve concentrically!

bodicus likes this.
  25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.