Queen [1991] Innuendo - How's the new re-issue compare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KAJ1971, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

So disappointed in the new vinyl. Was really hoping it would breath on vinyl but as some have pointed out it sounds just the same. Wish there was a disclaimer on package " Beware just as muffled as before"

2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I hate that they messed with the track listing.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse. Thread Starter

I thought of picking it up for the unedited tracks, unlike the original I had. No worse and no better then?

4. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

IMO, the best sounding versions of Innuendo and Miracle are 2004 CD remasters, also known as Toshiba mini LP series. There's more bass in them, and at the same time, the mastering is pretty dynamic (DR). I find the originals bass shy and the 2011 remasters compressed.

Sondek and bombardir499 like this.
  5. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

Sondek, are you talking about 2004 remasters I've just mentioned? If yes, then I totally agree, I love them. The best and the most powerfull sounding Innuendo and Miracle, imo :)
    I'm actually surprised they don't get more attention here.

Sondek and bombardir499 like this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Yes. Generally, they're good. Oddly enough, The Game - which is generally one of their best sounding albums - is the biggest let down of the lot.

Contact Lost likes this.
  7. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Can't compare 2015 LP reissue with original, because I don't have the original. Though IMO biggest disappointment of 2015 reissue is that it was cut on two LP's (probably because modern engineers just don't know how to cut album that long to one LP with good results). As result of that the track order is different from the original release. As for the sound, well it still sounds better than 2009 US Hollywood Records LP, which absolutely sucks.
    On the side note, I have 1991 US compact cassette made by Hollywood Records which sounds surprisingly good, if you play it on the good cassette deck of course,

juanmanuel likes this.
  8. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I have the edited 2009 Hollywood Records reissue (1 LP), and would say that I'd probably prefer the non-edited version of the tracks in general.

The vinyl itself has lots of surface noise, but when it disappears the actual music is relatively clear and lively (granted, it's the same master as the CD).

The artwork is extremely gorgeous to look at, but I'd still recommend the 2 LP version of the album for my personal tastes.

9. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I picked up the single disc vinyl version of Innuendo (still sealed!) yesterday. Can anyone tell me, how can I tell if it's from 1991 (did Hollywood Records even issue this on vinyl back then?), or the 2009 reissue. The copyright on the back cover only says 1991 (no 2009). Thanks!

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Hollywood did not; if it says Hollywood, it's not from 1991

Chew likes this.
  11. the_redgrin

the_redgrin Forum Resident

What's the best version on vinyl, in your opinion?

12. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Bumping this thread for advice on vinyl. I already have an original 1991 CD but would like have it on vinyl too. Whether the vinyl includes the edited or full-length tracks doesn't bother me, but I would like something that sounds decent without spending a fortune.

For modern represses, it looks like my options are:
    - 2009 single LP which is cheap but universally panned for pressing and sound quality
    - 2015 double LP which is harder to get and has mixed reviews from what I've been able to find. To buy the 2015 2LP requires importing, which brings the total cost with shipping almost up to what I could get an original 1991 for.

I do like the sound of the Ludwig CD remasters from 2011, which I assume is probably used for the 2015 vinyl. How's the sound of the 1991 vinyl - does it suffer from being squashed onto a single LP? Should I go for the 2015 2LP or 1991 original?

the_redgrin likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

ywah I don’t mind the ‘91 vinyl version, really. Although I’d have rather them cut a song rather than make edits. I love most of that album but it probably should’ve been 10 tracks instead of 12.

the_redgrin likes this.
  14. the_redgrin

the_redgrin Forum Resident

Are you serious? I can easily find those on Amazon. The 2009 should be way less common, what mix does it have? Maybe still the Hollywood one? Innuendo is imo one of the worst sounding out of the 2011 remasters, a Parlophone/Emi label CD/Vinyl should be the best you can get. Hollywood Records got it wrong, but not as wrong as the 2011 remaster. Go for the original, if you get annoyed by not finsing it, search around the 2015,you shouldn't import it, it's not worth it

JasonA likes this.
  15. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

I don‘t like to say it: the latest Bob Ludwig remastered Vinyl on 2 LP is horrible. I have the Studio Collection Box Set, it‘s beautiful but I don’t like the sound of any of them.
    I ordered an original 1991 EU pressing of Innuendo which I clearly prefer. It is natural and dynamic.

WDeranged, JasonA and the_redgrin like this.
  16. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Was very disappointed with the set and sold weeks after I bought it. Prefer the originals through and through.

WDeranged, mc7t and the_redgrin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.