Queen "A Night At The Odeon '75" in November 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cmi, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmi

cmi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally famous Christmas TV special concert from Hammersmith Odeon in London on 24th December 1975.

There definitely will be different formats:

a) 4 discs Box Set
    b) SD-Blu-Ray
    c) DVD
    d) 1 or 2 Audio CDs
    and possibly some others

Set list from the show:

1. Bob Harris's Announcement
    2. Now I’m Here
    3. Ogre Battle
    4. White Queen
    5. Bohemian Rhapsody
    6. Killer Queen
    7. The March Of The Black Queen
    8. Bohemian Rhapsody (reprise)
    9. Bring Back That Leroy Brown
    10. Brighton Rock
    11. Son And Daughter
    12. Keep Yourself Alive
    13. Liar
    14. In The Lap Of The Gods... revisited
    15. Big Spender
    16. Jailhouse Rock
    18. Stupid Cupid
    17. Be Bop A Lula
    18. Jailhouse Rock (reprise)
    19. Seven Seas Of Rhye
    20. See What a Fool I've Been
    21. God Save The Queen

Release date is 13th November 2015

More details to follow soon...

streetlegal, Scotbot, DLeet and 10 others like this.
  2. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Better late than never, but I guess most fans already have that concert in it's various forms in quite high quality. It will be interesting, what kind of extras they add.

starduster and Frittenköter like this.
  3. Rikiii

Rikiii Forum Resident

Awesome! Even if that means, more money is leaving my pockets...

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

This would make a nice companion for Live at the Rainbow.:thumbsup:

5. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I have (most of) this show in pretty decent quality indeed, but I am looking forward to the CD release nonetheless. I do hope that the mastering will be better than on the heavily compressed Rainbow CD release (especially on the March gig).

6. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

not a good show i'm afraid. Fred was audibly sick. Brian was sick. They all sound nervous. And knowing QPL it'll be melodyne'd and otherwise manipulated. I'd prefer Hyde Park or second Earls Court. Less repetition and better performances. And those two don't circulate in great quality. The Hammersmith show is available in great quality already in several different mixes. It should be released in the future, but i just think that they should prioritise on 1977 or Hammersmith 1979 (perhaps in a boxset with 1975).

Bonus features:
    CGI Moustache Edit
    Kanye sings Bo Rhap Edit
    Robo Freddie Edit
    Hammersmith 2: Electric Boogaloo (same as Moustache Edit, but mirrored video and even more Melodyne)
    Karaoke Edit (amend notes the way Fred does here, botch Now I'm Here and flu-croak along)
    Paul Rodgers Edit
    Adam Lambert Edit

7. cmi

I'm glad to finally receive this show in complete form. Unedited and not as merge from bits and pieces from various sources.
    The show is great and must be released! The only shame thing that it's short and doesn't feature key ANATO tracks from the tour.

If you prefer Hyde Park and Earls Court, wait 1 or 2 years. Hopefully near 2020 we'll receive all videotaped shows from '76-'79 period in chronological order.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Frittenköter

they'd be stupid not to. hey, didn't you do a Mannheim 1986 merge a while back?

9. cmi

Yes, it's me.

10. Frittenköter

great job!

cmi likes this.
  11. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thank god, finally. Wasn't it supposed to come out a few years ago?

Also, according the members over on Queenzone (pretty much THE Queen fan forum) a lot of people have voiced dissatisfaction over, IIRC, the audio/editing/etc on the version recently shown on TV a few years back, so I hope it's not that one.

For anyone looking to hold yourselves over until November, I highly suggest you seek out Pittrek's fantastic version of the show. :)

12. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Rainbow isn't heavily compressed, "Queen" sounded like that in those days as they played extremely loud. And the "graphics" of the CD-tracks look quite "harmless" compared to many others.
    I think Odeon 75 will sound like the excerpts we already got on the Bonus EP of Queen 2 and Sheer Heart Attack, which sound like newly mixed.
    The BBC had two different mixes over the years, the original one had a left right seperation with the positions of guitar right and piano left - like they stood on stage. In later years the BBC offered a new centered mix to radiostations all over the world.

lodger79 and warewolf95 like this.
  13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Yea, it sucks that the show isn't really representative of the ANATO tour. :/

14. Although it's great to see yet another show from outside the later moustached-Freddie era being released, I never particularly rated this concert, plus I'm worried it's going to be a repeat of the Rainbow set's problems, where a handful of contemporary fixes really stuck out for me. Sure, I can appreciate that getting some of those early recordings up to a standard QPL is happy with can take time, but what happened to the rumour both Hammersmith '75 and '79 would be issued together because of there not being enough extra material to justify these being issued separately? Presumably they're continuing to sit on the Kampuchea benefit show due to them (supposedly) only having a mono source for the audio, it being prepared for a standalone package or to serve as bonus material with an expanded Live Killers, hopefully also giving us some of the soundboard recordings that Brian May is believed to have made back in the day, which could theoretically include the first official titles from the brief Crazy Tour...

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Awesome! Hope they release a set like the nice Rainbow vinyl set I got last year.

fuhrsy31 and mr.dave like this.
  16. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Yes, this is a very common video performance (is it not the most commonly booted Queen '70s video performance?), but it's still nice to have officially released material. I thought they did a good job with the Live at the Rainbow release so I'll keep an open mind.

Glad to see they are opening the vaults, hopefully there's more..

DAVE GILBERT, fuhrsy31 and warewolf95 like this.
  17. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Looking forward to the video of this show, as I've only heard the audio.

Darryl

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Fantastic. Nice to see some more vintage live Queen material being released. Hopefully Earls Court is on the agenda sooner rather than later.

20. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Amazing to realise that this triumphant concert was a mere 20 months after their first appearance on TOTP.

longaway likes this.
  21. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Looking forward to this. Rainbow was fantastic! Hopefully, QPL will continue on with more releases. Every six months would be nicer than once a year, though.

Use_Your_Koala and mr.dave like this.
  22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Always up for more vintage Queen releases, but may I humbly (if futilely) request that guitar and drum solos that take place in the middle of songs not be indexed separately on the CDs?

Andrew Russe, yesstiles and DBMethos like this.
  23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I hope they'll one day be a Crazy Tour release of some kind.

24. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

Interesting to note that there's nothing about this on the official Queen website...It matters little though if the quality is good. The producers seem to be following the same release formats that was with "Queen Live at the Rainbow '74", so I guess this was a successful venture !

It is a shame to only find a two - part "Bohemian Rhapsody" as the only tune from ANATO...Maybe the "Hyde Park" show would have been a better option, but I'm not complaining at all, as this was Queen in their prime IMHO, when they were as heavy & musical as the best out there !

Can't wait, it's on pre-order...

Cheers,

Gregster

25. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Still waiting for a release of "The Queen Special"
    I played the hell out of my VHS copy that I taped off of ON TV

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.