Queen "A Night At the Opera" DCC, tape defect?? Problem with my gear?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Listen to the song "Bohemian Rhapsody" from the DCC version of "A Night At the Opera". Do you hear a slight distortion/fuzz in the left channel for a brief moment at around 2:14??

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

prix, I hear buzzing throughout "Bohemian Rhapsody" on every Queen disc I own, including the first-pressing CDs from the early '80s. The buzzing is especially noticeable on the DVD-Audio disc.

3. KeithH

One more thing. I would like to see Steve comment here since he has worked with the master tapes.

4. audio

Do you specifically hear a buzzing on "Tasmanian Crapsody" at around 2:14? That's the most offensive one to me on my gear. It's no wonder that song has buzzes in the tape. They wore that thing so thin working on that song! Yes, it would be interesting to hear some stories about this one. Steve?

5. KeithH

Prix, I'll have to grab a disc and listen for buzzing at 2:14.

6. audio

It's in the left channel.

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I know some Tasmanian's who might resemble that comment! :)

8. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

prix,

I hear it on my MFSL. It seems that it starts just before that, as some sort of defect in the tape maybe(?), and then the buzz.

9. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

My MFSL, DCC, DVD-A and Hollywood remasters are full of artifacts.

On "''39", at the end of the song, I can hear the tape being damaged on the Hollywood remaster. The MFSL, DCC and DVD-A don't have this defect.

Bo Rhap sounds as if it had lots of distortion in it.

I bet it has something to do with the massive overdubs they had to work on while creating the song. I do remember they said they almost destroyed the tape.

Good thing they didn't - the result was truly something special. The DVD-A 5.1 has an edge over every version out there; I'm pretty sure Freddie wanted the song to sound *exactly* like it does in surround.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Could have been a bass amp. I don't think that was a tape/amp equipment flub, IMHO. From what I've noticed, there's huge differences between issues AND the DVD-A.

The multi is still useable, but is very prone to sticky-shed syndrome. For those of you who haven't seen the Hollywood 2DVD set of Queen's GH, D2 is absolutely revealing to how the multi to BR works. Listening to things isolated is a treat...

11. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I second that. I just want the powers that be to release a track by track Cd of just Bo Rhap. I would buy that in a second

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Roy Thomas Baker was the king of making stuff distort on purpose. He loved recording the snare "in the red" to give it that extra crackle. Combine this with the fact that they turned those tapes to oatmeal with all the overdubs and I wouldn't be surprised to hear some noise.

Hey Prix........still beats Vapor Trails!:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.