Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" The Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lwh1, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

I love the little snippet of 'Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon' with just "Freddie" and his piano.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Anymore?

1] Seven Seas Of Rhye
    2] Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Use_Your_Koala

Well, you don't hear the songs but they quote the lyrics to Sweet Lady and I'm In Love With My Car...

905 likes this.
  4. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I think these Queen threads are affecting me. I woke up after a night shift and three hours sleep with 'Nevermore' going through my head.

5. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

hehe there are worse ways to wake up!! :)

sathvyre and KAJ1971 like this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Really liked the mix of Somebody to Love in the movie. The chorus voices were much more separated from Mercury's lead. Pity the soundtrack is just the standard version.

Andy Smith and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a shame they didn't include it like this on the soundtrack. Same for Don't Stop Me Now with the a capella intro. I've also got the feeling TSMGO over the credits was slightly remixed/edited - I think I heard some sound effects/guitar bits which I haven't heard on the album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I thought there was an alternate mix of TSMGO released on something but if it was I can't seem to find it

9. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

The only official alternate versions of The Show Must Go On released are the instrumental versions released on Greatest Karaoke Hits in Japan and as part of the computer-game Queen The Eye in 1998. No official remix has ever been made.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. I'm not sure if this counts, but wasn't an alternate "demo" version of The Show Must Go On played during an official Queen convention once a few years back? I seem to recall this being described as a final instrumental track with full background vocals and only a partial lead, which supposedly countered the claim that Freddie's lines were done in a single take. Unlike many of the other early mixes and outtakes from the Innuendo sessions doing the rounds, I don't believe this was recorded by anyone attending (or if it was, this has yet to surface online from what I can tell - such an important piece of history is likely being hoarded by a collector). Again, I could be wrong... Just look at how long it took the complete Face It Alone to leak, despite that song's existence being known to fans for years!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The first cassette I've bought since the early 90s!

[​IMG]

12. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Forum Resident

What is it with Amazon UK and the release of the Vinyl version of this? Release date is today, pre-orders were showing wouldn't be delivered until the 12th-something? Now is showing as delivery between 22nd Feb and 11th March and usually ships between 2-5 weeks! Can order it from Amazon.de to be here Monday. Go figure.

13. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Anybody else get the vinyl? Mine sounds like it was cut too hot, lots of crunchiness during the intense bits (but not sibilance.) Sounded like the beginnings of a worn stylus, which I can rule out since I just replaced it about a month ago. Played some of the same tracks on their original albums, no issues. The mastering's different of course, just double checking that it wasn't the needle.

14. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Free $5 giftcard if you buy this plus the movie at Target. Got mine.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Chromium Dioxide? ;)

16. Eric Kliewer

Eric Kliewer Well-Known Member

I got it. Have to confess that I'm more a fan of their hits, and not so much a Queen aficionado; which is unusual, cause I tend to pick up everything by bands I like.

Anyways, I had to give both LP's an ultrasonic bath. Lots of noise initially, especially on LP 1. It improved noticeably after the cleaning, but "Bohemian Rhapsody" still has a few more pops and ticks than I'd like. Can't speak to the crunchiness, cause I've yet to have the opportunity to crank it.

I found most of the tracks (particularly the earlier releases and the live stuff) a bit thin, and lacking in low end. Not completely empty, but if you're looking for warmth, you won't find it in this release. I have no other Queen LP's to compare to, so I'm not sure if the mastering on certain tracks have always been this way, or if it's just specific to this release. Some tracks are better than others of course. "Killer Queen", "Another One Bites The Dust", "I Want To Break Free", "Don't Stop Me Now" are all decent, but I guess the album as a whole just lacks that emotional resonance that good bass provides. Maybe my Schitt Mani will help it some when it arrives tomorrow.

It's nice to have for the Live Aid performance, I just wish there was a good "Best Of" vinyl release by this band. Can anyone else that has Queen vinyl other than this provide some input or comparison? Should I just start learning to like more of their lesser known work and pick up some 1st pressings?

MadMelMon likes this.
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

18. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

19. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Saw the movie about 2 weeks ago and just got the CD Soundtrack. As a casual fan who liked their hits upon release but never bought an album, I enjoyed the movie and really enjoyed the music. So today big reach back into the real story so I read this entire thread. The soundtrack did get me interested in either the original albums or the Hits I, II and III set.

So if the film and soundtrack make people like listen to the music and want to know more, that’s not bad.

andrewskyDE, Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  20. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Were any of the songs remixed for this Soundtrack or are they just the same as those on regular albums and does the OST contain stuff that is not available elsewhere on CD apart from the 20th Century Fox thing & Live Aid. Also, are there any songs that were in the film that are not actually on the CD Soundtrack. I read somewhere that Seven Seas...was included on the soundtrack CD but cannot see it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Apart of the new stuff (the Fanfare, Smile reunion track, 1979 live track etc.) I think the rest are the normal mixes and 2011 remasters.

Matthew Tate and Carlox like this.
  22. Use_Your_Koala

Don't stop me Now is a remix with newly recorded elements, different from the one found on the 2011 deluxe Jazz.

Matthew Tate and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Why don't they just release studio rarities? Are they scared this would hurt the band's history/legacy?

24. QPL hinted at a possible "Queen Anthology" boxed set around the same time The Solo Collection was announced, but nothing ever came of this - it's rumoured the best content was mined for those bonus EP discs that came with the 2011 remasters, even though there's still so much quality material known to exist that wasn't included as part of that reissue campaign (much of this has been played at fan conventions, plus there's a lot more we know about that should be in the vault). I've no idea why Brian and Roger seems content to release just one archival package every year, especially after they briefly toyed with creating an online hub for old live shows. From what I once read, Brian has quite a large amount of soundboard tapes in his personal collection, yet he's supposedly reluctant to approve anything that needs fixing to a superhuman level. Based on audience recordings and even some professional footage doing the rounds, Queen certainly didn't consist of four perfect beings, so things like the pitch correction applied to Rainbow '74 was insulting. For the sake of letting the perfectionism drop a little, I'm sure most people would prefer a larger number of titles available, with studio outtakes a big part of this wish... At this stage, I'm fairly certain that Queen's legacy wouldn't be hurt in the slightest if they branched out from the long-established catalogue!

25. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Do you know which "live" albums the "live" tracks were taken from for the film. I have read that the "live" Fat Bottom Girls which is used in a montage in the film for a US trip was in fact from a show in Paris?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.