Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" The Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lwh1, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident

Yeah but I bet the movie pretends 'Hot Space' and the whole Munich period didn't happen. That was a dark time for the band and especially Freddie. Speculation is that period was when he got the HIV.

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm sure there will be scenes of the Hot Space era in the film. There's a promo pic of the two actors (playing Freddie and Brian) during a press conference of the album's announcement/launch.

[​IMG]

sathvyre, Szeppelin75 and manco like this.
  3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It was remastered in 93/94 EMI UK and then again in 2001 -Japan Release.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The 2001 remaster was released in the UK too but just in a standard thin jewel case.

5. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

No, it's pretty much a full concert only, no behind-the-scenes-stuff...*( Queen Live in Japan 1982 )

I only mentioned it as I think it's a better performance than "On Fire at the Bowl"...

Yes, the band had reached the top by this stage, & there was only one place left to go, & that's downwards...The "Hot Space" record proves this downward spiral...But the live concert footage that's available proves that they still delivered the goods in concert.

Check out the "Days of our lives" DVD if you haven't yet, as Mack gives a humorous perspective on these times...There's lots of elements in the equation here to consider, from the studio in Munich's history, the sex, drugs & rock'n roll, Freddie's ( & John's + Michael Jackson's) insistence on a dance-orientated-record, & Freddie's advice / guidance taken from his personal manager etc etc....

But it all ( IMO ) worked-out for the better after Freddie's solo album flopped...As his ego then realized that he shared an equal quarter in the great rock group Queen...

My $00:02 lol,

Gregster

pantofis and Man at C&A like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The 2001 remaster came out in UK and Europe in 2003 (not in 2001 as I said in the earlier post, sorry for that). I have a copy of this:

Queen ‎– Live Killers
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 7243 5 92417 2 2
    Format: 2 × CD, Album, Copy Protected, Remastered
    Released: 2003
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Hard Rock, Pop Rock, Arena Rock

[​IMG] [​IMG]

source: Discogs.com

Gregster, Scottb and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's the CD I have. I don't think mine has copy protection though.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. Considering who's left to shape this project, it wouldn't surprise me if Hot Space is portrayed as mostly Freddie's folly (along with possibly the later Mr. Bad Guy solo album), which led to the more rock-oriented half of the group pushing for the return to form heard on The Works and then so triumphantly at Live Aid, already confirmed to be a major point in the film's story arc. However, I'm a little concerned by the suggestion that Brian and Roger could end up depicting Freddie as revealing his AIDS diagnosis much sooner than happened in reality - other relatively minor details could be more easily forgiven, though I'd definitely not be open to such rewriting of history. Yes, we get that setting up at Musicland was a bad experience for most involved in hindsight, but there are other far less revisionist ways of getting the same basic message across... For example, why not end with Freddie hinting at his condition backstage at Knebworth before leading the band out to one final show before cutting to a brief montage describing what happened in the next few years after this? Audience recordings from earlier concerts reveal that Freddie was hinting to fans before introducing Who Wants To Live Forever, and I'm sure his colleagues suspected something being wrong in the period ahead of him finally confirming the worst. Besides, it's common knowledge that Freddie himself didn't get the news until Easter '87, so to say anything else is merely juggling facts to create better entertainment. When you look at how costly all of this was to one person in particular, I'm not sure I can support these levels of alteration, especially when people who really should know better are directly involved. Wasn't the actual turn of events bad enough to make a compelling enough drama already, if that's the angle they've really got to go with?

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

Being the perfectionist he is Brian will never allow this to be released officially since he f***ed up the guitar solo in this otherwise perfect rendition of 'Save me'.

Michael Rose likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That can be fixed. Take the guitar solo from another concert of the Jazz/Crazy Tour... and bang! Über perfect!^^

Jarleboy, Efus, Pete Puma and 2 others like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Freddie sounds phenomenal on this.

sunking101, Carlox, mr.dave and 2 others like this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

How the version from the queen of midnight movies?

13. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Wow I didn't know that as I thought the 2001 remastering was only released in Japan.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

This is one 5 or 6 tracks I'm looking forward to on the soundtrack. Though, I understand it's only 20-30 seconds. :sigh:

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know either, I just saw an unusual looking Live Killers CD in a charity shop very cheap so I bought it. The discs have nice picture labels too.

Listening to Live at the Rainbow 1974 at the moment. Incredible.

Scottb likes this.
  16. manco

manco Forum Resident

There is no way to spin 'Hot Space' as a good album. One great single - "Under Pressure" and the rest is just Queen attempting disco. Badly.

sunking101 and jon9091 like this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Couldn't disagree more. I love it. All of it! Half the album isn't disco or dance music either.

18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

19. Hot Space was diverse enough, but it suffered from several of the more all-out dance tracks being front-loaded onto its first side, which probably turned off a large portion of Queen's fanbase who didn't stick around for the later material. Staying Power isn't exactly the best opening statement, with Dancer, Back Chat and especially Body Language giving the false impression that the group had fully embraced what Roger Taylor went on to describe as "gay club" music. However, there are some gems hidden on this album... Staying Power, Back Chat and Action This Day really came into their own when played live thanks to harder overall arrangements, plus it's a shame I Go Crazy wasn't finished in time to be included on the end product - now there was proof that Queen could still rock!

Jarleboy, Michael Rose and Man at C&A like this.
  20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The rock/disco thing is so overblown. The battle is over now, rock lost, no one cares

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't want it to rock! Not everything has too. I don't particularly like dance music either.

aphexj likes this.
  22. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

A few good tracks. 'Put Out The Fire', 'Action This Day'. A few average ones and if I never hear 'Under Pressure' again I won't mind.

23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's on Spotify now.

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I like the 20th Century Fox Fanfare. It sounds like the old school early 70s Brian May guitar sound.

Don't Stop Me Now - ... Revisited has new drums put on it, and there's more guitar.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was just listening to it. The guitars are new, yes, but I believe the drums are still from the original multitracks minus those overdubbed synth-like drum sounds.
    Noticed the hi-hat and cymbals have the same character as on the original mix.

[Edit:] A while back I had some mogg-files (multitracks) of the song where you could isolate several parts of the drums.
    Underneath that Jazz-era typical drum sound you can actually hear real acoustic drums, that's why I think this new mix might contain the original drums but reduced, re-EQed, etc.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Gregster and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.