Queen II appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Great album BUT it sounds somewhat murky. Every version I've heard.
    I own a Fame UK reissue btw

2. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Queen II is probably my favorite record in the world (Queen is my number 1 band!!!), I wish they would have kept on going with this sound a bit longer!

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Looking forward to giving this a listen along with every other Queen album besides the Greatest Hits.

4. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Curious to here your thoughts on March of the Black Queen which I think is just as amazing as Borap and may be his greatest musical achievement. Queen II is absolute magic.

5. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Their best album, stunning - like entering a different world. Side one contains some of Brian's best ever work - Father to Son/White Queen/Some day, one day, and then you get Side two - my favourite side of any record ever! Freddie's genius on full display....

6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Unfortunately I’ve got all of Yes and The Who to get to first so I’ll get back to you in half a year or so :righton: but maybe I might give this a listen before then anyway.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

my favorite song on the album:

I love Freddie on piano instead of acoustic guitar for the bridge.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It was great to see them reach so high, lyrically and musically, and triumph in all ways. They could never go so high again. They went to regular short songs that were radio friendly (and often brilliant), but this album hangs together as a whole. I don't think it's representative at all of what they became, but for me it's a go-to.

9. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

A member of this forum who has a 'particular set of skills' recently employed these skills which allowed me to listen to a UK Fame vinyl pressing and it blew me away with it's clarity... it was like I was hearing 'Ogre Battle' for the first time... like I said, blown away!

Man at C&A, Michael Rose and Sear like this.
  10. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Queen II is my favourite Queen album, and has a secure place in my top ten albums outright. The March of the Black Queen is a standout (and unsurprisingly won the vote in the Queen album-by-album thread), but it's also a highlight of the band's entire recorded work.
    The iconography of the design, both cover and inner photos, along with the semi-concept feel and the fact that many of the tracks run in continuous sequence add to the aura of the whole album. I remember when the Queen Rocks compilation came out, Brian May made some comment along the lines that - as a showcase for Queen's heavier side - he'd be happier for people just to listen to Queen II.
    I've three or four versions on CD. I think the 2011 CD is regarded as one of the better releases from that remaster series. My go-to LP is the double vinyl from the Studio Collection box set (one one-sided white LP, one one-sided black LP).

[​IMG]

11. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I have been thinking of buying the box set, but its so damn expensive. How do you like the sound quality on those records?

Michael Rose likes this.
  12. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

You might be surprised how prog metal this is if that wets your appetite at all.

13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Side 2 is mad as a box of frogs. I first heard this in early '86. It was a bit much too take in on first sitting. It soon became my favourite Queen album and remains in my top 3 of all time by any artist.

14. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

Did not know about double vinyl. Must sound wonderful.

Michael Rose likes this.
  15. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Their best album. I traded in the 1994 digital remaster for a 1st UK CD, which has better SQ.

Rukiki and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

:righton:That's the spirit! :righton:

Love this album too. I've got an UK 1st press and the white/ black double vinyl edition from the box but all these comments on this forum make me want to grab the next FAME version and the (first) CD edition I come across

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I wish I had all The Who to listen to for the first time! Take your time and savour! As regards Yes, sounds like that could be torture after their classic period!

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

He's right - the song selection on that compilation stinks.

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Haha, yeah, I’m thinking of finishing at Big Generator. Maybe a little bit earlier.

Sorry for off-topic, btw.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

My fave Queen, by some distance.

Lonecat and casey casey like this.
  21. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

My favorite Queen album. It takes you through many different moods yet the tracks flow together seamlessly.

22. A masterpiece..Deacon's Bass playing on this album is Jaw Dropping!

23. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

It's this one or A Day at the Races for me, Queen-wise.

I think I prefer the live versions of White Queen, but the overall album is superb.

Not sure what the best CD pressing is?

Lonecat likes this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Great album from when they were bringing us the godless thunder and not radio caca. Of course, I love Queen in all its phases (well, almost all; Hot Space)

Bingo Bongo and Somerset Scholar like this.
  25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

The first four Queen albums are exceptionally good and original