Queen II appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Correct

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There are only two Queen albums in the running for their best: Queen II or Night at the Opera.

It's a terrific album. When you listen to Queen II and then listen to what they did after Day at the Races, you hear the sound of a distracted band not pushing themselves anymore.

Murph and Zach Johnson like this.
  3. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

Side Black was my go to nearly every day after school when this was released.A masterpiece of musical mastery.The White Side is pretty cool,too.

Murph likes this.
  4. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Absolutely. Later on they didn't sound like a band but four individuals.

5. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

For me,Sheer Heart Attack is THE ONE..They lost it for me with News Of The World,which I thought was their first really flawed effort.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sheer Heart Attack is easily as good as both of those. Including that, I agree these are the best Queen albums. I think they stopped pushing themselves after The Game, at least on records. They became more of a singles band then, a great one though, as well as still being a phenomenal live band.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think NOTW is as good as it's often made out to be. Some weak songs on that one.

8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Queens Masterpiece

9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

You have all missed the elephant in the room.

Flash Gordon is the best album

ARod likes this.
  10. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

"Stand by my Hawk Men..."

11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

And you stand for every one of us. :p

Man at C&A and lwh1 like this.
  12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Sheer Heart Attack not withstanding...Queen II IS the killer Queen!

13. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Picked up in ‘77 as an 11- yr old...still look forward to putting on the table 40+ years later.
    Genius. (and the band was good, too...)
    Couldn’t rank Queen 2-5 myself, other than they’re my favorite group of Queens.

14. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue summed it up best for his love of Queen II: "It'll knock your d#$k in the dirt."

15. Xodus

Xodus Forum Resident

It's my favorite Queen album and that's saying a lot because all of those early albums are brilliant.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, Brian made sure no crappy pointless remixes ever appeared on Queen reissues.

17. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

I'd say that about The Beatles, but not Queen.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Queen - Hollywood Remixes

:shh:

19. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Actually, it's an observation that was also made by Mack, the late David Richards and even Roy Thomas Baker.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

My favorite Queen album!

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Interesting. I've never thought of Queen that way, though it's obvious on some of their 80s material that they aren't united over the material. Do you have any quotes from these or know when they consider that to start?

22. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Baker noticed it started happening as early the 'Jazz' sessions, Mack talks about it in a documentary in which he says something like, some days they would work together, then one would go skiing so another would go f**k this I'm off to Bali and only one would show up! I can't remember where I read David Richards comments, I'll try and find it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. This album was missing from my record collection until last week - found a decent looking US press for $5.95 and could not pass it up. Cleaned it yesterday and gave it a spin. WOW. How did I neglect this album for all these years??? The B side is crazy good. Sound quality leaves a lot to be desired but I think the music shines through and I can ignore the maxed out levels and murky quality. (I also think the Procession intro sounds really good on my copy - very "real and transparent" - like a guitar is in the room - then the album starts...)

Very glad I picked this one up! Side note as a younger person I HATED this album (except for "Ogre Battle") - I had the "Crown Jewels" CD boxset in my collection for years and didn't care for the album at all when I first got the box. I thought it was complete rubbish at the time. Almost 15 years later and my taste has changed drastically.

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

brianvargo likes this.
  25. Fuller

Fuller Forum Resident

Purchased my copy way back in 1975 and have still got it.

I was 14 then and how I used to love listening to it on my little record player !

Must dig it out for a spin very soon.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.