Queen - Innuendo - opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

I find it difficult to comment on Innuendo without my mind racing. I am a huge fan of Queen.

When released, I was in high school and felt the CD had a special “mood” to it that most artists could not achieve. Somehow grand and intimate at the same time.

Only after hearing the announcement about Freddie having aids did I realize the significance of the lyrics. That realization made the album more impressive and sad.

It’s a recording that helped me realize it doesn’t matter if someone else thinks it’s cool be cause I know in my heart it’s special.

Joseph LeVie, CrazyCatz and Sondek like this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I replied to your comment: "Queen's one of the biggest bands worldwide."

Yes, they were one of the biggest bands worldwide.... with the sucess of Albums The Game and The Works.

They have not played at the biggest stadiums worldwide in 1975, the year of the last great Queen album IMO. A Night at the Opera was their pinnacle.

Ironically Queen got the huge commercial success at the beginning of the 80's with help of MTV.

3. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Again, show me where in that thread did I post this comment.

Or else, you're blatantly making up a quote.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Not necessarily. You see this quite often when people edit their posts after someone has already hit the quote button. No way to prove it unless you want to talk to the Gorts about it. I don’t think @Claus would knowingly make up a quote and attribute it to you.

5. Use_Your_Koala

I hope you're not suggesting that I'm the one making things up.

Steve M. likes this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

This is absolutely absurd. Queen were doing tremendous business on the concert trail by the time they released News Of The World (1977).

They weren't exactly eating Ramen noodles while recording The Game, I can assure you.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    The_Windmill and Sondek like this.
  7. jon9091

My suggestion stands...if you have an issue with content that was posted here under your name, go take it up with the Gorts. I merely pointed out that there’s no way for any of us to know, because you could’ve simply edited the message after Claus clicked the quote button. It happens numerous times a day I’m sure.

8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You'll love this, @stanlove.

Queen set records at the time - "Overall Queen played to approximately 700,000 people in the space of just 13 concerts with the show at São Paulo in Brazil setting the world record for the biggest paying audience at 131,000 people." - Wiki

Attendance:

• Rio 1-12-85 - 350,000
    • Rio 1-19-85 - 250,000
    • London 9-18-76 - 150,000 (some reports claim 200,000)
    • São Paulo 3-20-81 - 131,000
    • Stevenage 8-9-86 - 120,000 (some reports claim 200,000)
    • São Paulo 3-21-81 - 120,000
    • Slane 7-5-86 - 95,000 (some reports claim 110,000)
    • Mannheim 6-21-86 - 85,000
    • Budapest 7-27-86 - 80,000
    • London '86 (two nights) - 72,000 each
    (Honourable mention 1 - Live Aid '85, although it was a charity show with dozens of bands on the bill)
    (Honourable mention 2 - Kharkov '08, where Queen + Paul Rodgers played to about 350,000 people)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Steve M. and 9 Volt like this.
  9. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

You came back to suggest that he could've edited his message when he's already told you that he's not making things up. Of course you took this side of the argument because he's a Queen fan and you have a chip on your shoulder. You've already demonstrated this from your earlier comments.

Use_Your_Koala and Sondek like this.
  10. Use_Your_Koala

Oh yes is a very simple way to know that.
    Posts which have been edited clearly show a "last edit on" message at the bottom. Go ahead, show me one of my posts here with such a message.

Or else I'm not the liar making things up.

Steve M. and Sondek like this.
  11. jon9091

As I said...take it up with the Gorts. You insist on accusing another member of modifying your post. For what purpose? How long after editing does that message show up...because I just edited this and I see nothing.

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

None of your messages have 'Last edit' showing under them.

13. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I bought the CD-single of the title track before the album came out. Loved it. Great hearing a through-composed song by Queen again.

However, the album itself didn't impress me as much. Definitely had a few good tracks, but all their albums had that, at least. It's overly long and there's filler and several songs that just didn't grab me.

Some of the songs have grown on me. I prefer May's live version of 'Headlong.'

Always liked 'Don't Try so Hard' though.

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  14. Chrsal

Chrsal Forum Resident

Loved is album then and love it now. Can't imagine doing this kind of work with what Freddie had hanging over him.

Sondek and 9 Volt like this.
  15. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I personally don’t consider MiH an album at all, rather a shame.

Innuendo: a fine album overall. Hard to think about it separately from the circumstances it was made under, though (but I do get the point). So, yes, great album under any circumstances. Not one I am listen very often to, but that’s just me. Lightyears better then Miracle anyway. I like that there’s still sense of humor and joy in it (with a wink).

Not a fan of Delilah & Bijou. But like the rest a lot. Personal highlites are: Innuendo, going slightly mad, don’t try so hard, these are the days.

Cheers.

16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

And then consider that The Miracle was released in 1989, and that this was essentially their only real post-80s record...

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Although it's always nice to able to say you enjoyed an album when it came out, this thread has made me especially glad that I bought this one when it first came out and never had to try to appreciate it by shaking off the knowledge that it was the last one, that Mercury was deathly ill, etc.

I mean, we still had to 'retcon' it by adding that information later, but that's a lot easier.

18. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I think The Miracle is one of their worst...A few good tracks, but not very good overall. It's also the only Queen album lacking a good ballad.

As far as Made in Heaven goes, I really like it. While it doesn't have the standout tracks that Innuendo does, I think I might prefer it as an overall album. As a whole, it has a sort of warm mid-90s production and a wintery feel that I like.

19. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

Very evidently.

20. Use_Your_Koala

I don't consider MIH a proper Queen album either, but I'm glad we have it.
    You Don't Fool Me is a fascinating track build from mere scraps, and still features of Brian May's most blistering solos.

21. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Yes. But one song doesn’t make an album. Especially if the rest is rubbish. For the tunes they took from mr. Bad Guy (good songs, imho), I prefer the original versions.

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  22. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

This...apart form being a huge Queen fan from all the eras! I LOVE their albums up to and including A Day at the Races. From there on they were so patchy. Either glorious and epic, or a pastiche and cliche.

jon9091 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.