Queen - Innuendo - opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

[​IMG]

2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I still, to this day, always think of The Miracle as a summer album (it came out at the end of May 1989, and I listened to it a lot that summer). Think of the video for Breakthru, for example. It's quite upbeat and, well... summery!

But when it comes to Innuendo, I think of snow, and winter (that came out on the 4th of February, when it was heavy snow in the UK at the time - I just looked on Wiki to double check my memory was right about the dates > "By the evening of 6 February many parts of England and Wales were experiencing snow showers"). As a young teen back then, I felt Innuendo had an air of mystery about it (Freddie was mostly in hiding by that point, and I remember that even the video for Innuendo used older footage - Slightly Mad and Headlong came out a little later). The album had a very distinctive, somber vibe to it, which went hand in hand with the winter weather, as well as - it almost goes without saying - (in hindsight) Freddie being near the end of his life. For me, it makes the memory even more poignant.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Their deepest album for sure with 2 of my favorite Queen Hits/Videis. Slightly Mad and of course The Show Must Go On. That's leaving on a high note ! Maybe the album got a few fillers too muxh compared to these anthems but all in all definitely one of Queen's essential releases mo.

4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

But the tracks you mention aren't exactly 'Liar', 'Keep Yourself Alive', '7 Seas Of Rhye' or 'Brighton Rock' are they? Can't be dealing with a lot of the later wimpier stuff. Hated the melodrama of it all. I dug Queen as a rock band. Not sure this is the right thread, but while I acknowledge every act has to change so as not to get stale, the latter albums did little for me - Fred's impending death or not. But the question was about 'Innuendo'. I stick by what I said; it's not for me.

5. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

My take was that it could have been produced better. "The Hitman" could have been a real cracker but it just sounds so thin - as though it was recorded with the band playing in a room down the hall with the door closed. "Innuendo" itself is a real cracker but lacks any bass punch. "Deilah " could have been omitted for "Lost Opportunity". The re-take of "I Can't Live With You" gives an insight in to how the overall feel of the soundscape could have been improved upon IMVHO.

I still choke up when Freddie sings the "My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies" line - as I did the day he died.

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

They're not those tracks, no. But I don't think they're necessarily worse, depending on which one you're comparison to another. Innuendo, like I said, is my favourite Queen track (and that's rock). I'm Going Slightly Mad is a great track imo (I prefer that to Keep Yourself Alive for example). I love the vibe of Don't Try So Hard. I liked the direction Queen were going in with Innuendo. For me, it's just a shame it came to an end there.

But yeah, different folks, different strokes...

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

"My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies
    Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die
    I can fly - my friends"

Wonderful.

And then when Freddie sings...

"I'll face it with a grin,
    I'm never giving in,
    On - with the show.
    I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on
    On with the -
    On with the shoooooooow
    .....(show must go on, go on... go on... go on... go on)"

It really is a powerful track, especially taking into consideration how close Freddie is to the end of his life.

905 likes this.
  8. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I tend to agree with this in the most part.

They were a truly incredible, ground breaking act with a very unique sound up until NOTW. Once the management and record company got together and convinced them that chart success was the only way to go, they simply became another disposable pop/rock band.

Their edge deserted them (save for the exception of the odd track here or there) and the material lacked any sense of drama. Releasing every song from The Works as either a single or a B-side was crass in the extreme.

Freddie said that his songs were meant to be disposable - like Bic razors; that's, sadly, what Queen became in the studio.

9. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

If a disposable pop group can do a song like It's a Hard Life, I love disposable pop groups! When you're talented, even when you want to do a bland song, you can't. I know because it's what happens to me... kidding :laugh:

Ludger, KAJ1971, coffeetime and 2 others like this.
  10. 905

905 Senior Member

My favorite goodbye gift from any band or artist.

11. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Seems to be some mixes opinions here. But one thing about Innuendo is for certain...

It was their best album since The Miracle.

mikaal likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I absolutely love It's A Hard Life. My favourite Queen song from that era and one of the great Freddie ballads. Classic Queen.

Ludger and Matheusms like this.
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

If only Bic razors lasted that long before you threw 'em.

Ludger and Cubbiegirl like this.
  14. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

I have that tattooed on my shoulder ..,

" My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies "

It's my Freddie tribute .

And I count Innuendo among my favorite Queen albums.
    It seemed to me that they were back to being Queen
    The ones I adored, the ones I almost had a heart attack over back in the 70's when I got close enough to touch Freddie's foot ....haha bet that pissed him off...
    Damn wankers trying to touch my feet lolol

Sondek, coffeetime and 905 like this.
  15. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

Everytime I hear Fred sing,,," I'll soon be turning round the corner now..."

I get a chill ...

Sondek, juanmanuel and 905 like this.
  16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I really like this remix of I Can't Live Without You.

17. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Innuendo: Best album ever!!!

Sondek likes this.
  18. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Forum Resident

Beautiful summation.

Cornfed Hick and coffeetime like this.
  19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A boring album

stanlove and yesstiles like this.
  20. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Forum Resident

Not sure if you were being tongue-in-cheek there...but Innuendo was the next one after The Miracle. Personally, I think there's rather a lot of dross on The Miracle (The Invisible Man, Rain Must Fall, My Baby Does Me), and I think Innuendo is much, much better.

21. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I think The Miracle and Innuendo were both very strong albums that stand up to the rest of their catalog and are great whole album listening experiences each. Both give you that great feeling when you're finished listening that you've taken on a journey. Also, I happen to think they both great sounding albums and some of Brian May's most imaginative and ballsy playing as well as some of Freddie's best vocal work. There are some silly songs on each, but, that's Queen. If I could only pick one Queen album, I might choose The Miracle or Innuendo. Though other Queen albums have stronger moments, Innuendo, I believe, keeps me more engaged throughout the entire album.

coffeetime likes this.
  22. Innuendo is great but it's not a return to form. Queen never lost their form and Innuendo is too unique an album to be considered a return to anything.

Sondek likes this.
  23. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Classic Queen medley.:)

Haristar and Robbieboy like this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I also really like the artwork on the 12 inch singles from Innuendo....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Diego Lucas, mjb, starduster and 12 others like this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Fantastic album. To me, Sheer Heart Attack is their best, and it is usually a dog fight for 2nd place between II, A Night at the Opera and Innuendo. The title track is a top 5 Queen tune for me. Love it to pieces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.