Queen: Live At The Rainbow '74 (Release in September)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil P, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Im sure at some time we will see Rio released separately. But since this appears to be just the original broadcast Im not terribly excited. Theyre missing a bunch of stuff that Id like included back in to get a full show before I buy it.

2. I suspect this long overdue DVD release won't exactly be like the original broadcast or previous home versions... when It's A Hard Life from this show was included as a bonus EP track with the 2011 remastered version of The Works, I noticed right away that Freddie's ad-libbed vocals where he forgot part of the lyric were rather poorly substituted with the correct words from an alternate performance, presumably flown in from either the other night at Rio or a different show entirely, not to mention the ending was tidied up a little (with one really obvious note fixed and a missed piano note replaced). Considering how much similar revisionism Brian and Roger have approved in other recent DVD titles, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this one song uses the same "new" audio source, plus I can think of a few other examples throughout the same concert where I suspect there may be some tampering. Of course, let's not forget that more recently Brian introduced this very track on stage by revealing that it had never been played live by the band, even though plenty of audience recordings contradict this official statement. In fact, my guess is that it was swiftly dropped from the final Magic Tour setlist only because Freddie often made such a proverbial train wreck of the operatic introduction and his very last note, which have both been documented in at least one "fail" compilation video that can be found online to this very day. Let's face it... in the eyes of most fans, Queen Productions haven't got a clue!

3. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

In case of "Queen" you should consider, that the Rainbow concert is not hidden away, it's actually produced but obviously delayed. Brian May was full of praise of the result earlier this year. But then probably cause of the anniversary they re-released the "Freddie Mercury Tribute" on Blue Ray and extended DVD in August. And in November Roger Taylor published his new solo album and his box set. Apart from that they are working on new recordings with Mercury tapes. So I think that's quite a lot of activity.

4. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I'm not at all a spokesman for them nor do they need me to defend them. But just think logically. Do you think Universal just took them for the option of re-releasing their old catalogue ???

supernaut likes this.
  5. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I agree with you. They obviously intend to get as much out of it as possible. In fact first line of the press release announcing the re-signing states "Queen and Universal Music Group have renewed their partnership with a new, long term deal that will herald a range of exciting projects from the band including a raft of rare and unreleased material and a film". So, I expect there to be more stuff soon. In fact, maybe the reason Rainbow was delayed was so it could be the first project for the new deal early next year? Who knows.

Steve

6. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Having said that, though (and I agree that it wasn't a great choice for the live set) the version I saw them play at Birmingham N.E.C. in 1984 was a barnstormer and damn near perfect.

7. I'm now hearing that someone involved with QPL has been quoted elsewhere online describing the new Rock In Rio DVD as a cynical "VHS rip," which suggests it won't even include the fixed audio version of It's A Hard Life that I mentioned before. Of course, these comments probably aren't exactly true, but it's disheartening to know the powers that be are so uninterested in doing more with this concert to bring it in line with other previous releases. An expanded version containing the full setlists from both nights, even a handful of known filmed news segments plus interviews would be very welcome... and certainly possible, since I doubt that licensing would be much of an issue. Then again, I'm sure most of us - if not everyone - would prefer they concentrate on finally putting out a show without Freddie hiding behind that moustache (such as the long-promised Rainbow show or my personal dream, Hammersmith '79)... it's like the 70s never happened, yet they keep reminding us the group's single biggest hit came from this very era!

P.S. I've no confirmation of this at the present, but it appears the first Wembley '86 performance remains incomplete due to a small edit forced because of Brian May going wrong at the end of his guitar solo, though I suppose that was never going to be added back in.

8. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Well, I think this wasnt so much a QPL initiative as it was Eagle Rock. They put out a box of previously released material with a lure like Rio to make people buy it. That doesnt stop QPL later doing a full version, but hopefully after several 70s issues like Hammersmith and Rainbow and then going back to Rio would probably be quite well received - say for the 30th Anniversary in 2015.

Steve

9. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Leopards don't change their spots - the new Universal deal will get us, as fans, absolutely nothing we don't already have access to already.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I certainly hope so as I already have the other 3.

Darryl

11. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Well at least you wont be disappointed then :)

12. On the subject of Hammersmith '79, I've recently heard that QPL may have a stereo audio source for the whole show now, which I believe was the reason it had not been considered for release before - supposedly it was Brian especially who objected to a full concert being issued with a mono soundtrack. Of course, that doesn't change the fact there are still gaps in the unofficial circulating versions, though it's possible a decent level of professional editing could make these missing sections less jarring. Still, if they do have the complete audio it would be great to have this as a bonus album... I can dream!

As for the promise of new material under the extended deal with Universal, I'm hoping we'll get another collection of leftover tracks finished by Brian, as it's clear that Roger wants nothing to do with such a "bottom scraping" exercise. While I'd be foolish to expect another cohesive package of the same quality as Made In Heaven, there are (allegedly*) enough outtakes from The Game, The Miracle and even Innuendo's sessions to create something worthwhile. Then again, let's hold our breath for those collaborations Queen did with Rod Stewart and Michael Jackson first before awaiting more ambitious projects.

*Naturally, I've never heard any of these. I Guess We're Falling Out? Dog With A Bone? Robbery? Face It Alone? Nope, I've no idea what they are. ;)

13. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

FWIW, May has said he'd never do another 'Made In Heaven'. He said it took two years of his life and at times he couldn't bear to hear The Fredster talking on the studio outtakes. But, maybe the new contract has greased his palm enough to do it again.

14. Rather than another Made In Heaven type album, I'd be happy if we had something like The Miracle era promotional "demo medley" tape, created using the best parts of any unreleased tracks (since most are very incomplete, often lacking final vocals) and put on the end of a greatest hits compilation as some kind of incentive to hardcore fans who probably wouldn't want to buy the same few songs over again without good reason. Most have given up hope waiting for the Anthology set, and it's clear only a handful of the more polished outtakes were mined for the 2011 remasters bonus EPs, so for some reason either Brian or Roger is holding back what other remains we know are still locked away in the vault... plus the rather large number of pieces that are circulating via unofficial sources! If a true rarities package isn't going to happen, I reckon this would be a decent enough substitute, though of course I'm still wishing for something comparable with the Freddie Mercury solo boxed set, despite that having a few minor omissions.

15. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

No, they absolutely should NOT tack anything onto the end of a Greatest Hits or other comp; it's one of the few things QPL have got right in the past. There's nothing winds me up like acts putting new tracks on a hits album - it's a really cheap shot.

16. When it comes to QPL, a cheap shot would be more than no shot at all...

17. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

From the hints Brian has been dropping around the place, including his own website, it seems that both he and Rog are indeed looking at creating another album like Made In Heaven. Whether that would include the three Michael Jackson tracks or not is another matter.
    Id be thrilled to have a complete Hammersmith 79 DVD.

18. I was under the impression the three tracks recorded with Michael Jackson were being completed for a Queen compilation due at the end of this year, but since that's clearly not happening now I wouldn't be surprised if these (along with the Rod Stewart collaboration briefly heard for the first time in that recent Days Of Our Lives documentary) end up being held over for the new album that Brian's been talking about quite a lot over the last few months... though I heard Roger won't be involved with this after describing it as a "bottom scraping" exercise. As for at least a DVD release of the group's Hammersmith '79 show, I'd be happy with even a slightly edited version of this, because there's evidently more than enough footage out there already to assemble a nearly full setlist... and that's without taking into consideration what other source material QPL may have in their vaults!

19. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

With Hammersmith, even if they cant give us a complete setlist, I wish they would give us as complete as they possibly can and then give us as much as they can of the incomplete shows that we know are out there. Paris, Munich etc. Surely they could give us a decent Live Killers box at least :)

Steve

Zephead2112 likes this.
  20. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Hammersmith '79 all the way.

I recall seeing this footage for the first time during the original 'Rock For Kampuchea' TV broadcast and then in 1984 on VHS with more numbers from the performance (the TV broadcast interspersed with 'humorous' interludes including the QEII lookalike, Ringo/Barbara and the nasty dude from Flash Gordon movie). I was extremely impressed and it is, in my opinion, Queen at the peak of their live career.

I'd like to know more about the possible discovery of a stereo audio source as I missed that one; offers more hope that we may see this as an official release as it certainly deserves one!

21. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

How about Queen Rocks, Volume 1? Or Greatest Hits III (if you include the 'rah' remix a new track)?

22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

That remix was something made just for GH3?

23. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Yeah, but I kind of consider it a hybrid new/remixed track, as it featured new drum and guitar work from Roger and Brian. All about perception, I guess!

24. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I'd forgotten all about 'Rocks'; I never play it, due to the fault on 'Fat Bottomed Girls', which suggests that nobody at QPL gave a stuff about fixing it before release.

25. If there are any gaps in the official source for Hammersmith '79 to prevent a video release, I'd still settle for whatever audio exists from this concert with other Jazz/Crazy Tour* era recordings to fill the missing tracks and create something more representative of a complete Queen show from this period - editing technology's improved quite a bit since the rather piecemeal Live Killers package was assembled!

*Apart from the Kampuchea benefit performance being filmed, do QPL have anything else from the brief Crazy Tour? The handful of audience recordings I've heard suggest this was perhaps Freddie's absolute peak vocally, and I can't believe we've got nothing official to remember what is quite possibly his best work outside of the studio...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.