Queen, News Of the World Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Jan 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Well, my Motörhead thread is on hiatus due to lack of participation, so I've decided to kickstart my next one, this time for Queen's 1977 album, News Of the World. Before we start here are some ground rules:
    1 - Please limit your comments to the song at hand, or songs that have already been discussed. You can let us know what your favorite song on the album is when we get to it.
    2 - Please support your stated opinions, simply because it leads much more fruitful discussion than "This rocks" or "This sucks".

Before I post the first track tomorrow noon or morning, I'd like to hear how you discovered the album, initial impressions, etc

2. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

It has always been somewhere in my top 3 Queen albums. Looking forward to this.

Bingo Bongo and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Loved it since I've borrowed the vinyl from a library at age 14. Loved it how my youngest sister absolutely hated the feedback solo in Sheer Heart Attack when I was blasting the album in the attic bedroom. :laugh:

CBS 65780 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

How I Discovered The Album:
    Well, through the first two tracks, which I knew from the Greatest Hits, and for the longest time, I stuck with the hits until a couple years ago when I finally checked out albums and ended up really enjoying the early ones (not so huge on later Queen), and so I went into this one ready to pleased, and was I? Wait until tomorrow to see.

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love this album.
    Though I remember when I checked the tracklist the first time I was kinda confused that 'Rock You' and 'Champions' are placed on the very front,
    plus 'Sheer Heart Attack' (where I thought was originally on the album of the same name), so at first I thought it was another best-of album.^^

6. 905

905 Senior Member

I had two comps for years, but in 2014 I decided to get all of the albums. I either liked or loved each one. But News of the World was and is my favorite Queen album.

7. Zoot Marimba

Can't wait for reviews

SpaceshipEarth and 905 like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's an album I like a lot, but also my least favourite 70s Queen album.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

Can't wait for your reviews

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The first record I ever owned.

11. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

how I discovered The album

I discovered this album while I was slowly listening to more Queen and is a pretty solid album

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I had the original US vinyl back in the day. I love the album, and the cover is so cool.

13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I bought it for £7.99 in HMV, at a time when most CDs were £14.99. Couldn't believe my luck. I was probably thirteen or fourteen at the time.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Same here. :agree:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I actually didn't hear this album till years after becoming a Queen fan, largely because all of the friends I had who were also fans basically told me that it was a middle of the pack Queen album at best, and after finally hearing it, I agreed with them, but I did manage to find a couple songs I considered keepers that I had not heard prior, so I was pleased.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

This is the first proper album I ever listened to from beginning to end ,.And the second album that I listened to for myself (the first? Queen Greatest Hits).

I 'borrowed' this on numerous occasions from the depths of my mum's cassette collection (she hadn't played this in ages, so I figure that she would not have minded. Ahem).

Even though it's a 'stripped down' affair compared to their previous albums, this was my gateway to how wonderfully eclectic Queen could be.

The bursting out of the drum break in Sheer Heart Attack, and the closing jam of It's Late, are still my favourite two Queen moments on record.

SpaceshipEarth and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. D. Harry

D. Harry Forum Resident

I was invited to a party through a friend and did not know the host. When we arrived music was playing and I was immediately drawn to the system. I had just turned 17 and by far this was the best sounding rig I had ever heard. I soon had struck up a conversation with the owner. He asked me if I had heard the new Queen album. It had only been out a couple of weeks, and I was eager to give a listen. Needless to say, I grabbed the sweet spot and tuned out the party for the entire album. The sonics and variety of the music blew me away.

18. Zoot Marimba

We Will Rock You:

We begin the album with its most iconic song, and the most iconic song of Queen's catalogue (except maybe Bohemian Rhapsody), written by Brian May, who developed the idea so that the audience could have something to do during a show. The iconic "stomp stomp clap" came from the band recording themselves doing so before multitracking before adding delays in ratios of prime numbers.
    That very intro starts off and carries the song, while Freddie comes in at :13, and he just has so much piss and vinegar in his vocal, he ain't scared of you, you're the one who should be scared, as we are about to kick your ass. Brian's guitar comes in at 1:21, slowly creeping its way into a brief but rocking solo.
    Not a lot to say, but it deserves its status as a classic, as overplayed as it gets

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's nothing else like We Will Rock You and it achieves what they set out to do in style, a song for massive audiences to sing along to in stadiums. It's in it's element at Live Aid. Contriving to write an anthem can come across contrived and forced but this doesn't suffer from that at all. Fantastic huge sound on the foot stomping too.

It's a great record, but in spite of all that, it's overplayed and I am bored of it now. The solo is excellent, the one on the 'Raw Sessions' version is abysmal!

Great opening track that can't fail to get noticed and make an impression.

20. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

I second this.

That being said, I do think it's good.

Man at C&A and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

I've always thought that this album doesn't really get started until Sheer Heart Attack.

22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

If Brian May had a dollar for every 'stomp stomp clap' played over the PA at a sports game , he'1s be a multi-millionaire.

Wait a minute... he is!:goodie:

23. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Christmas Eve just after it was released and was the "early" present I picked to open. Must have listened to it 10 times in a row. Loved it then and love it now.

joelee, Man at C&A and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Always was familiar with the hits since I could remember. I bought NoTW in the mid 90's, as I decided to collect Queen discography more or less in chronological order. I must say, I dug this record from the start, not my favorite but top 3 from their first ten years. It is a pretty strong and consistent album to my taste. 'Spread Your Wings' and 'Melancholy Blues' are my top picks.

SpaceshipEarth and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

As overplayed as the tune is; WWRY is still a wonderful and powerful track. A truly unique sound with the stomp/clap and Brian's guitar solo is definitely a highlight of his career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.