DCC Archive Queen Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cousin It, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member Thread Starter

Gotta a query for you good folks,hopefully a Queen diehard lurks on this board.
    The other day while indulging myself in the practice of downloading music from a provider
    I was looking for a copy of the Queen song "Liar" and a few choices popped up,the usual studio version and one was a 7:48 version,I figured it was a live version(bootleg -audience tape)but when I played it,it was a obviously live in the studio version with audience from sometime in late 1973 for 2 reasons

1)The guy (cut and polished English accent)back announces the song just played "Ogre Battle" as coming from the "new album".

2)He introduces Roger Meddows-Taylor and Deacon John,so it is obviously 1st album period.

I checked some Queen sites as I figured they were BBC sessions but no '73 sessions feature Ogre Battle and Liar on the same session.The song is in stereo ,only the vocals sound a bit distant but the band are in superb form,Brian May in particular.
    Any clues ???

2. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

According to “Record Collector” (June ’01, #262) Queen did six sessions for the BBC. “Liar” was performed at the first two sessions, 1/5/73 and 7/25/73. The 7/25/73 version of Liar was released on UK “Queen At The Beeb” and the US “At the Beeb”. The 1/5/73 version of Liar along with other tracks from the same session, “My Fairy King” and “Doin’ Alright”, were released on the “Let Me Live” second CD single (UK Parlophone CDQUEEN 25). “Ogre Battle” was featured on the 3rd BBC session on 12/3/73 and also included on the BBC CD’s but is missing ‘Forgotten Intro’ due to tape damage that was included in the original broadcast. According to the extensive article on the Queen BBC sessions, the US and UK BBC CD’s feature different mixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.