Queen releases in SHM-SACD for November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike McMann, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Just played my NEWS OF THE WORLD SHM-SACD for the first time and I've gotta admit I was not knocked out ... at all. This is the best they could get outta the tapes? "We Are The Champions" sounds like it's too hot in spots, but that may be the way it's always been and I've never noticed before. (I only have the MFSL gold CD version to compare it to ... and that disc sounds great, IMO.)

Dunno, maybe it's me ... but I'm underwhelmed. I also got the NIGHT AT THE OPERA SHM-SACD but haven't listened to it yet (I have the MFSL gold disc, the DTS DVD-Audio disc and the Hollywood DVD for that one). I might get A DAY AT THE RACES based on the review I read (above), but we'll see.

You know, after getting several of the Japanese Warner Bros. 5.1 multichannel SACDs (cloned from previous DVD-Audio titles), the Pink Floyd Blu-ray Discs with surround sound, plus the Who's QUADROPHENIA DVD-Audio disc, I've got to say I'm really enjoying surround sound music again for the first time in a while. I'd be happy if some of the current SACD-manufacturing labels would revisit considering releasing further titles in 5.1, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I'd agree with you, but not if they are only released in Japan & available as expensive imports. If they do them, they should be available internationally at a reasonable price.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Anyone got Queen I, II, Sheer Attack???

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

On order as I have points that I will be losing with CD Japan befroe the Dire Straits come out. Figure I will try these 3 out as I have the Mofi for the next few.

I can't blame anyone for not posting their impressions given the negativity that preceded these releases. Stay silent and sell them if they do not meet expectations.

5. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Cdjapan got all queen's shm-sacd in stock !
    I finally just ordered :

UIGY-9513 QUEEN / A Night At The Opera [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release] [SACD]
    SACD 4286yen Released: 2011/12/14

UIGY-9512 QUEEN / Sheer Heart Attack [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release] [SACD]
    SACD 4286yen Released: 2011/12/14

They ll be ship on monday, will put a lil review here !

Happy listening

Eric

6. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

You think Bob Ludwig (and anyone else you don't like) don't care about their output?

Give it a rest.

7. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

8. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I agree. Im sure Bob Ludwig cares a lot about his output. Also, its somewhat naive to say that people like Bob could have just put their foot down in the beginning of the loudness wars. It was a gradual thing and these professionals still need to work and to have companies use them etc.

I dont like the results of the loudness wars, but I can see where artists and management and record companies made their decisions and the various mastering engineers made their accommodations with that. They have bills to pay and companies to run too, however big or small [one person in some cases] those companies may be. I really dont think its as simple as you make it out to be, and I dont see why big name Mastering Engineers should be expected to be martyrs to a cause.

Steve

9. botley

botley Forum Resident

Who, me? I shelled out for the USB Queen orb and it sounds fantastic; best these albums have ever sounded in fact and it suits my purposes just fine. How is YOUR credit card doing?

10. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I think there is a misunderstanding here. It looks like to me that Botley agrees with carrolls that the SACD sounds great but made a point that there are some members here who upon hearing the very mention of some things that may have been done in the mastering automatically makes them think it's going to sound bad.

Carrolls - I think Botley is on your side.

11. botley

botley Forum Resident

Pretty much. Although I can't comment on the SACDs since I haven't heard them, they must be pretty close in sound to the USB orb counterparts; same hi- def mastering, different delivery system.

12. eelkiller

:laugh: Does that mean we should disagree even though we may actually agree?

We can't have "harmony" here, can we?

My first 3 have not shipped. :cry: Can't CD Japan have somebody work through Christmas, this is high priority here.

13. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I received "Sheer Heart Attack" and "Queen II" in the mail yesterday from CD Japan but have not been able to play them. With four young children (11 and under), I don't have a lot of time to listen to music at home except late at night which I am unable to play loud. I need to go purchase a nice set of headphones.

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

AWESOME!!!

15. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

We want review yes :) so far only day at the race ( very good ) and news at the world ( not impressed...at all ) got a review

Will get mines ( sheert heart attack and night at the opera ) in 7/10 days, can't wait :)

16. eelkiller

I think you have the priorities set right. Let's hope for the best. :)

17. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

My god, this is my worst nightmare. I'm glad I'm single. :) Fortunately, with the right amp and headphones, you can get a nice listening experience.

18. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Well? Have you cranked 'em up yet? Anybody listened to these yet?

19. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Hello all,

I just got my sheer Heart Attack and a night at the opera.

Just spinned Sheer Heart Attack,

My first impressions : Well... i'm disappointed.

Sound is clearly NOT wide open like usual, pretty HARSH in the treble, far away from some other rock shm-sacd released some month ago. Sounding a bit mechanical and i just can t up the volume too much it s barely audible. Is this album was so badly recorded ? Distinction between instrument is pretty cool on some tracks but it stays very trebly. it miss some 3D in sound, all is thrown in your face
    I didn t got 2011 remaster on Rbcd to compare anyway (some other members should release their review ), but from now it s just my recommendation : for the price asked it s not recommended !
    Excellent album anyway !
    But i ll post more in a few days, i ll listen to it more

WIll spin a night at the opera tonight and will post my impression

Happy Listening

Eric

20. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Thanks for confirming a lot of our fears here Eric, worried these discs will give the SHM-SACD's a bad rep...

21. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Hey all,

Just spinned A night at the Opera.

Well i m furious, that's it

I hardly believe what i listened is a SACD.
    Trebly trebly trebly, i got headache with the two listenings, my accuphase system is very analytic, not colored sounding and it s barely audible, always playing with the remote because choirs is harsh, nothing in low end and totally missing the '3d' element i love on SACD . I can't imagine how those sacd could sound on a dynamic system...
    All sound is thrown on your face, it s soooo agressive and 'digital', clinical, thin. Some tracks are a bit better but like i said, you always play with the remote control, because it s exploding in your living room with absolutely nothing in terms of timbres between instruments, seems sooo distorded

Really totally disappointed, maybe my ears are tired today , but they re bleeding.

An experience and a purchase NOT recommended at all !

Music is fantastic, i love this album and sheer heart attack.

I'd like to see more reviews from those who got them, i m scratching my head

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Hi Eric!

Sad to read how bad the sound is.
    I bought Queen greatest hits SHM-CD from japan some months ago. And it contains the Bob Ludwig 2011 re-mastered sound.
    It was very disapointing. Compressed and mechanical/clinical sound. Is this the way Bob Ludwig prefer listening to Queen?

Well, here is a new interview with Bob Ludwig where he speaks positive about added compression in pop/rock music.
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue58/ludwig.htm

Well, we don't need added compression after the final mix is done!

But I don't understand why Universal released these masters as a part of the SHM-SACD series.

23. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Coldplay inventive?

Time he retires, I think he's getting senile and deaf.

24. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

So disappointing to hear about these releases. I was even thinking of picking up at least the first six titles (sans "A Night at the Opera" since I have the DVD Audio disc of that). Based on the review, I may still get "A Day at the Races." Has anyone gotten and been able to spin "Queen" and "Queen II" yet? I thought that they were two of the best sounding albums from the recent remasters. So, hopefully at least those two will sound good on their SACDs.

25. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

To me the golden era for Queen was the three in a row:
    Sheer Heart Attack
    A Night at the Opera
    A day at the Races

I am perfectly happy with my DVD-Audio of A Night at the Opera. The other ones I have the original vinyls only.

I took a chance and ordered the SHM-SACD of SHA and ADATR, even if the verdict of the latest remasters 2011 has not been positive...

Last night I had a listen to the new discs. Overall I was a bit dissappointed in SHA and actually a bit positively surprised by ADATR. For the record, I do not think that these records are very good sounding from the beginning, especially not ADATR where I have never been happy with the vinyl sound quality. The best I have heard some of those tracks are from the Greatest hits DVD in DTS 5.1.

Both SACD:s are sounding very good when the instrumentation is sparse. Most of the choir parts are sounding really good, though some tend to be on the harsch side. The base is fine all over but typically on the more rocking numbers the guitars especially is too often schrill and kind of ear bleeding.

Two great albums - a mixed bag regarding the sound quality.

To sum it up I am perfectly happy with buying ADATR, maybe a little regretful regarding SHA (but is there a beter digital version available?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.