Queen "Sheer heart attack" appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

The best A side in recorded music history ever, period.

2. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I’d go with Kind Of Blue or London Calling if we’re talking about best A sides ever.

danielbravo likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

"Best A side in recorded music history ever?" I would not go that far, but it is a great album.

Weirwolfe, fishyboots, 2141 and 15 others like this.
  4. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

If it wasn’t for Now I’m Here, I would agree that it is a very strong a-side. I don’t like NIH, but that’s just me. I would rather state, one of the best side B’s ever. And certainly the best side B in the Queen catalogue.
    And SHA is a full stop brilliant album, except for NIH that is. :D

fishyboots, Sear and Man at C&A like this.
  5. zither

zither Lodger

Great album. 'Killer Queen' is worthy of an appreciation thread alone.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Queen's best. Love the whole album.

Blair G., Bhobb, vconsumer and 13 others like this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm not a massive Queen fan, but the recent thread about them encouraged me to revisit Sheer Heart Attack and this is definitely my favorite from them. It offers just the right balance for me: It still has the raw verve of their early output, adding more confidence and studio polish without going too far over the top.

8. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

My fav side B of their catalog and top 3 album. However, the highlight for me is Tenement Funster/Flick on the Wrist/Lily of the Valley. I still know little about music history as a whole, so won't be supporting or arguing about statements like "best in music history".

[​IMG]

Prostitute yourself he says
    Castrate your human pride
    Sacrifice your leisure days
    Let me squeeze you till you've dried

Freddie can be brutal sometimes. I would not want to be his enemy, this I know for sure.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, that’s more than a little over the top for me, but I’d go as far as saying it’s the best album side Queen came up with, from the best Queen album.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That is an amazing highlight, and perfectly representative of Queen at their very best IMO.

11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

The quintessential Queen album....I would argue they did not better this album.

12. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Exactly. It's a like a quick summary of what they've done and direction where they are going to - you have Roger and his favorite cars-rock'n'roll theme in Tenement Funster; then you have psychedelic guitar exercise in the middle of Flick of the Wrist, somewhat similar to Jesus; and Lily of the Valley is one of many beautiful piano ballads Freddie wrote: Nevermore, Love of my Life, and many more.

13. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Roger Taylor has often cited this as his favourite album.

Pretty much brilliant from top to bottom.
    Their canon from 73-76 is frighteningly good and diverse

14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Well it's just a way to say I like it a lot

15. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Never been a favourite of mine. It's still a very good album, but compared to the debut and Queen II, it's a step down in my honest opinion.

(and the B-Side is better ;))

Choba b CCCP and jeff kleinberg like this.
  16. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Queen II will always be my favourite- but it’s virtually impossible to decide between ANATO and SHA for #2. Both genius albums

17. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Great album. First one to have all four members credited as songwriters. I prefer In The Lap Of The Gods live at that time with 500% more Roger vocal but that minor quibble aside, it's still a great record. Dunno if that Side A is as good as Queen II Side B but you say tomato ....

Sammy Waslow and Carlox like this.
  18. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

So many other great ones as well (Exile, Aladdin Sane, Pink Flag, Singles Going Steady), but it is right up there with them. :edthumbs:

19. manco

manco Forum Resident

Best Queen album if you are willing to be objective. So much variety and not self-conscious like all later albums. Perhaps the ultimate 'glam rock' LP.

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Queen II- Sheer Heart Attack - A Night At The Opera: a flawless trilogy.

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

As others have stated, the opinion "best A side in recorded music history ever, period" is a bit hyperbolic, and I say that as someone who considers Sheer Heart Attack Queen's best album. It gets a perfect 5 stars/A grade from me.

But yes, that A side is a stunner from top to bottom, and I love the deliriously rockin' Now I'm Here. And then the incredible B side follows right at its heels. Sheer Heart Attack is sheer musical joy.

Ludger and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I can think of better A sides (Sgt Peppers, Dark Side, maybe a dozen others) but it is up there. My fave Queen for sure.

23. Cool cover of Misfire

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Coincidentally I had Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack and Live at The Rainbow '74 on my playlist yesterday. Early Queen rocks!

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't consider myself a Queen fan (only two albums) but I love this album start to finish. I also think it's a great *sounding* album.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.