Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I guess I can imagine what you mean:targettiphat:, meanwhile I can only spin this version of Queen - The Game I have.

2. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

For The Game I always get my 5.1 DVD-A, because that sounds really like Queen is playing in my living room! :agree:

For Sheer Heart Attack I recently found an old UK pressing, still have to figure out which one, and also give it a spin, which I haven't come round to.
    On the lookout for The Works 1st UK pressing, which seem to be the best. The rest of the boxset seems good enough for me.
    (I just wished Led Zeppelin had a book like this with their sdl boxsets, because I really like this Queen book.)

And now a new News Of The World is coming, with the so-called "pure analogue cut", which makes me wonder...A. Why didn't they do that with the last reissue, and B. How will this compare to the 2015 reissue? Fingers crossed.

DoF likes this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I wonder if it's gonna be a sonic masterpiece and a holy grail vinyl?!! :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Dorian75 likes this.
  4. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hey guys, which of 1st pressing of NEWS OF THE WORLD you recommend?: US, German, Dutch and UK pressings. Ihad, so far, had good expeience with US pressings of other Q albums.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I have UK and German originals and the UK is better. Not that the German was remotely bad but the UK trumps it.

DoF likes this.
  6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thank you.

7. DoF

DoF Less is more...

this version of The Miracle, which seems to be original UK pressing, doesn't sound right - drums are artificial, overall the sound is thin.

8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have the same pressing, and the SQ isn't great - I put it down to it being DMM but then even the tracks from that album on the original GH2 sound better than that LP.

I think the new GH2 highlights better sonics on the tracks from The Miracle, but then there is more compression - if Bob Ludwig has versions of these remasters without the added compression, they could re-cut the 2015 vinyl, but sadly that's never going to happen!

DoF likes this.
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

You know JP, your're 100% right, I remember that when I was doin' a shootout between new GH2 and original (upon your clips), the Miracle tracks sounded great, actually so great that my body was dancing along the music, and even new GH2's version of The Invisible Man was good.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  10. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Based on your good revies I bought the following 2015 remasters:

Queen
    Queen II
    Hot Space
    GH1

... and am very happy about their sound.

It seems that there are another 4 reissues worth gettin, that is:

1. Flash Gordon
    2. A Day At The Races
    3. A Night At The Opera
    4. Made In Heaven

Which one would you recommend buying first? (I am ashamed even to say it out loud, but I am familiar only with random tracks from 1-3, and 4 know only from CD version)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I'm sure it's been addressed here, but I'm wondering on the sound of ANATO.

My original press is in rough shape and i'm looking to replace it. Worth it to get this (i saw one was half speed mastered) or should i seek out a NM original?

12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Seems to be one of the winners here and to go version:

CowboyBill likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Get a UK original. These digital reissues are an abomination IMO.

Neonbeam and Man at C&A like this.
  14. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I find Bicycle Race fantastic. This song has been stuck in my head all day, "bicycle, bicycle... I want ride my biiiicycle, I want to ride my bike....":bdance:

15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

The Miracle 2015 LP.

Some thoughts. Overall, no dynamics, sound is dull, covered with blanket, drums are usually artificial and robotic. You can actually notice clipping, compression applied, sound is castrated.
    Most of the tracks are dead. I was looking for some signs of life though and found some gasps on Party, Khashoggi's Ship and Scandal where you can actually hear some details if you listen closely (esp. cymbals). On the brighter side I want to mention The Invisible Man too which is better here than its version on new GH2 (bass saves it). Generally the bass is present on this remaster which is good and was somehow absent on 1s UK pressing.

Well, it's all so sad, because there's so much great tunes here. A crying shame, really.

16. DoF

DoF Less is more...

black vinyl - black label

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer, andrewskyDE and cmi like this.
  17. DoF

DoF Less is more...

[​IMG]

puelche likes this.
  18. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Here's another piece, with embossed gatefold, can't wait to hear it :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Is there anything else worthy? Or that's it?

20. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I bought this 2015 remaster of Queen - A Night At The Opera and after few listens I hear there's someting wrong with it, so I went to a thrift store today and got myself, what seems to be one of early copies of ANATO.

Could not find it on discogs, so I post some pictures maybe you can help me spot this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont't know if this inner sleeve is original or taken from another album?

Its runouts:

Side A: YAX 5063-2 (stamped) BLAIR'S (hand etched) O 4 (my guess, stamped, horizontally)
    Side B: YAX 5064-2 (stamped) BLAIR'S (hand etched) CPO (my guess, stamped, horizontally)

Anyway, after I clean it I am gona do some comparison.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. jon9091

The inner sleeve is from ADATR. "Blair's" indicates an early U.K. cut, although he did a couple. It will definitely sound better than that reissue disaster.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Jon, thank you. Yep, after first notes you can tell it's better! Remaster, sounded flat, and dead and I hate it, I like life!

jon9091 likes this.
  23. DoF

DoF Less is more...

24. jon9091

I only purchased the first 5. Queen II came out the best of the lot, the rest I thought were just abysmal. I was comparing them to first UK pressings though...which thoroughly trounced them all. These were some of the worst sounding reissues I've ever heard. Compressed, smiley faced EQ...just bad digital mastering stamped onto vinyl.

DoF likes this.
  25. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Jon, what pressings you recommend for:

Queen - Queen
    Queen - Queen II
    Queen - A Day At The Races
    Queen - Greatest Hits
    Queen - Hot Space
    Queen - The Miracle

1st UK pressings? What would be second bests?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.