Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Very, very good. Organic, vibrant, powerful.

jon9091 and DoF like this.
  2. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Congrats! :thumbsup:

fpas likes this.
  3. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Paid 20€ for it. Took the record out and consulted the Discogs page, but couldn't find the exact matching details. Still, my suspicions are that of being one of the earlier ones, and it looked in really good condition. Couldn't pass it up, because this is my favorite Queen album.
    I'd say artistically it's their Revolver, but structurally it's their Abbey Road. How's that for a comparison? Found it in a nice vinyl shop in the east of The Netherlands with a big collection of second hand records.

puelche and DoF like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Conceptually it's their "Sgt Pepper's Sheer Lonely Heartattacks Club Band"

:laughup:

Mr. Explorer, fpas, DoF and 2 others like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think the 70s Queen albums sound very powerful on UK vinyl. I think also any 70s or 80s EMI UK pressing sounds great. EMI tended to be consistent for sound quality. The recordings may not be slick hi-fi serious but they have a lot of power and dynamics. News of the World, Jazz and The Game are the ones I think sound best on UK vinyl.

DoF and JP Christian like this.
  6. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I remember the first time I picked up a UK copy of Jazz - even on my very modest setup back then it blew me away!

DoF and Man at C&A like this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yeah, that should be a winner. I have 2 4u/4u copies (upper corners cut on the inners), and a 3u/4u (all 4 corners cut on the inner).
    TML-M means it was cut at The Mastering Lab on their master Scully lathe.
    TML-S means it was cut at The Mastering Lab on their slave Scully lathe.
    TML-X means it was cut at The Mastering Lab on their extra Neumann lathe.

The additional numbers and 2 or 3 letter codes indicate lacquer number and then the code for the stamper.

EMI UK used the following coding: G R A M O P H L T D (Gramophone Ltd) where -

G=1
    R=2
    A=3
    M=4
    O=5
    P=6
    H=7
    L=8
    T=9
    D=0

So, if yours has a "2", it would be a second lacquer, and "RLM" would be the 284th stamper.
    That explains why there are so many different minute variations in the deadwax codes, and not all of them could possibly be on Discogs.

dee, Mr. Explorer, fpas and 3 others like this.
  8. JP Christian

It makes you wonder when they were planning the Queen vinyl box set, they didn't think to listen to original UK pressings as a benchmark, in order to at least equal, if not better them?

Considering that only a year prior, how much of success the Beatles Mono vinyl box had been - who was the numpty who decided "hey, let's just use the compressed digital masters from 2011 and see how that turns out?"

Considering the effort that went into the quality of the coloured vinyl and the deluxe quality of the box set - perhaps they could have turned similar attention towards the sound quality? What an almighty shame...

9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Crying shame, indeed

JP Christian likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was going to buy the box set, but it was expensive and then the comments on the mediocre sound started coming in here. I have all the UK originals in excellent or better condition and all the 2011 remastered CDs so I just couldn't justify it.

I have all The Beatles originals too but still bought the mono vinyl box. Attention to detail in the mastering made the difference. Admittedly, some of my originals being stereo and some a bit crackly did too.

I'm not in for the upcoming News of the World box. When Queen deliver a good product at a fair price I'll buy it. If they cut corners or don't give much, count me out.

11. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I think I spotted 1st UK pressing of ADATR, NM condition, but waiting for confirmation from the shop

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's another amazing sounding one. Albums like that and Jazz go from extremely delicate to floorshaking and the cuts (by Harry Moss?) are expertly done and handle it all in style.

13. Neonbeam

That's terrific, thank you! Mine has GOG, 3u, 4u and TML-S. So this is stamper 151, third and fourth laquer.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. jon9091

On my 3U/4U, I have RL (28th stamper). Directly across from that on that deadwax is a "2", that means second mother. What do you have there?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    DoF likes this.
  15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Got remaster so hesitate to speak about the SQ. You have so many styles here, masterpiece.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

A "1". How many UK copies did they press?

17. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Ok, I got confirmation, that this is indeed the 1st UK press of Queen - A Day At The Races

According to Discogs it is variant 1, this:
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout Side A (Variant 1)): YAX 5245 - 1U
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout Side B (Variant 1)): YAX 5246 - 1U
    Card inner die cut one side with rounded corners.

Made and Printed in Great Britain.

Good to go?

18. Neonbeam

Mine has a small STERLING stamp.

DoF likes this.
  19. jon9091

Hmm...no idea. Probably quite a few.

DoF and Neonbeam like this.
  20. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I wonder how they stand again a US pressing? I have a US Sterling Jazz that sounds awesome but I don't have the UK to compare it.

21. JP Christian

Early UK pressings of Jazz were also cut at sterling so unless your US vinyl is noisy you're good to go!

puelche and DoF like this.
  22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Have you picked up Sheer Heart Attack yet?

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

UK EMI Sheer Heart Attack arrived today. Beautiful copy in NM condition and clean. Very nice laminated cover (certainty not seen on domestic copies). I'll still run it through the Audio Desk U/S but it looks very nice already. Whether this blows the reissue away or not, I'm happy to have such a cool copy of this LP. Certainly one of their best.

Man at C&A and Neonbeam like this.
  24. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Not yet.

25. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

I think that the multitrack tape of Keep Yourself Alive still exists since it was used when the song was put in Rock Band 3.

DoF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.