Queen's "Jazz" album - why are the guitars so low in the mix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Exactly as the title says.

I have to turn the volume all the way up just to hear the main guitar riff in Let Me Entertain You! WHY?!

I think the album sounds fine aside from this - is it just me?

2. I've seen quite a few Queen fans over the years also complaining about the drum sound on Jazz, though I don't have any problems with either this aspect or the guitars. Saying that, I think much of the issue stems from when this album was recorded as opposed to where or even how... Instead of reuniting with the group to work on another "kitchen sink" type production, Roy Thomas Baker found the band's members at something of a musical crossroads, with Freddie Mercury and Roger Taylor in particular already moving towards the more sparse direction of the subsequent decade. However, during this transitional period, they'd yet to embrace keyboards, while Roger's kit suddenly incorporated synth drums and was already close in places to resembling the heavily muted sound he'd properly introduce on Another One Bites The Dust (which is a decision he would later claim was forced on him, even if it seems more an evolution of what he'd already been experimenting with on the previous LP's track Fun It - one of his own compositions). As time has passed, I'm starting to think of Jazz as a rare instance of Queen going through the motions, and I think it speaks volumes that so little from this project would remain consistent by the final tour of 1986, with only the brief vocal intro to Mustapha remaining something Freddie would occasionally use as an introduction to other songs. Indeed, wasn't it also claimed that Brian May didn't think much of Don't Stop Me Now until he realised this had maintained something of a cult following and could therefore be used to honour Freddie, even if it was written as a celebration of certain activities that would ultimately contribute to his colleague's tragic end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.