Queensryche "Empire" DVD-A problems

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texquad, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texquad

texquad Senior Member Thread Starter

I got a copy of Queensryche "Empire" DVD-A that will not play on my Panasonic RA-60 DVD-A. Each time I load it it never starts and locks up in the machine, but plays on my cheap Mintek DVD player. My guess is somethings amiss in the DVD-A layer. I have almost 50 DVD-A in my collection (including some more from EMI/Capitol) and I've never had a problem with any of them in this machine. Any one else had a problem with this one?

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No problems here. Plays on both my Panasonic RP91 and XP50 fine. Is the RA-60 an older model?

3. texquad

I think it's about two maybe going on three years old, but it's worked perfect until this disc came along.

4. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Works great in my Panny RP91 also. I wonder what type of chipset the RA-60 has? Most likely a bug with the chipset IMO.

5. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I have problems with this disc too. In my Pioneer 563-A, it cannot play the MLP 5.1 layer. It acts like it's playing it, but no sound is output. A disappointment to say the least; been meaning to start a thread...

I just got Steve's DCC version though, and I'm more than happy with it's sound. I guess I can live without a 5.1 version. I'll be listing this DVD-A for sale soon. :(

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is it that unimpressive, Parkertown?

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You could still listen to the DTS/DD 5.1 tracks on there.

8. texquad

I also tried this disc in my son's Playstation 2 and it wouldn't read it there either. I really think the disc is defective now, although it still plays on the cheapo Mintek DVD. It just totally locks up my Panasonic.

9. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I can access the MLP stereo mix and it's kinda bright, a la the original cd. Steve's is not overly bright; but this is a pretty trebly recording to begin with, with huge dynamics. I think the DCC tones that down a hair. And this cd has a great 3-D sound going for it in stereo already. :love:

The DTS/DD mixes are there too, and they're okay, but once you've had a taste of a well-done DVD-A 96/24 mch mix it's hard to go back to the lossy mixes. There is a difference. :sigh:

10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Sorry to hear you're having no luck with it, texquad. :(

11. texquad

It just played on my neighbors Bose system! I still think it's this disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.