Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime, what's the best sounding version?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For Empire, that is clearly so. There's some real DCC magic on that one (as with Van Halen 1).

Anonamemouse and Cooks420 like this.
  2. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Man....you guys peaked my interest for the DCC!

3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

It ain't cheap!

4. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Damn...as usual with the DCC records:shake:

5. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Since you asked
    [​IMG]

6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Not even close.

7. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I respect your wrong opinion.

8. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Iron Maidens best record along side the first S/T IMO! This one and "Mindcrime" is both masterpieces.

9. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

When I say that the Operation: Mindcrime remaster is one of the loudest, most God-awful mastering jobs ever, I really mean it! I could NOT believe something could be made to sound so horrid, distorted, and overall just plain BAD. There is nothing musical about having your eardrums ripped to shreds by the screechy, grating highs from this monstrosity. If you think the original CD is shrill, this takes all the shrillness present in the original, and amplifies it to the point of unbearable proportions! Avoid it (along with the other "bricked" 2003 remasters) at all costs! Save your head from exploding!

The original CD is awesome in comparison. Only slighty shrill and grating on the high end when turned up, but nowhere close to the extent of the 2003 CD. And at least it has dynamics! :righton:

10. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

FWIW, Bruce Dickinson himself felt that Operation Mindcrime was a better album than SSOASS.

11. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

I have the original CD and vinyl and prefer the CD.

12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Need an Audio Fidelity version.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Bruce Dickinson agrees with you.

Anonamemouse and JediJoker like this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I would agree, I had an original LP and sold it. Awful sounding. I have an early original CD, no barcode and I actually like how it sounds. Very crankable.

15. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

Years ago I found a sealed copy at a garage sale, and while it did sound better than my well worn original, I still preferred the CD.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

There is still no good version available, neither on CD nor on vinyl...the production and the mix are good, there is nothing to say against it...but the original mastering (and the horrible remastering) doesn't sound any good...so I fixed the EQ, added some tape modelling plugins and now I can enjoy one of my favourite concept albums ever :)

17. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Do you have a link to their response?
    Two challenges I can think of:
    the attached quote says that Geoff Tate is promoting the 30th anniversary with his band and has 'the sole right to perform "Operation: Mindcrime" so I can't see Queensryche doing something to support GT. It looks like a similar scenario to Pink Floyd / Roger Waters and 'The Wall'.
    Secondly, given the brick walling on the remasters, the band may not be willing to try again, or mayber they have learned their lesson

Tate was fired from QUEENSRŸCHE in 2012. A two-year legal battle followed where Tate sued for the QUEENSRŸCHE name, only for his former bandmates Michael Wilton (guitar), Scott Rockenfield (drums) and Eddie Jackson (bass) to respond with a countersuit. They eventually settled the dispute, with Wilton, Rockenfield and Jackson continuing as QUEENSRŸCHE, and Tate now having the sole right to perform the albums "Operation: Mindcrime" and "Operation: Mindcrime II" in their entirety live.

GEOFF TATE To Celebrate 30th Anniversary Of QUEENSRŸCHE's 'Operation: Mindcrime' On European Tour

18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

They didn't exactly respond with a comment - was merely a 'like.'

19. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

That sounds like a fascinating process, please could you enlighten me, thanks.

20. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

sound chaser likes this.
  21. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

IMO US DMM original vinyl version has a bit more top-end clarity and overall natural impression vs DCC.
    Another observation : Empire vinyl despite its phenomenal sonic quality is very picky on cart installed (same for Mindcrime!) and capacitance loaded.
    I had experience with 10 carts at least during the past 2 years to find the best combination.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Metalrob likes this.
  22. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Very good but not better.

JediJoker likes this.
  23. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

I'm in the camp of being very happy with the sound of the original. Maybe its because I am not a typical metal fan I am not sure. It seems like a great rock album that utilizes technology of the time to great effect.

Helps having a truckload of good songs as well.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  24. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Anonamemouse and Metalrob like this.
  25. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Just asked if there was a chance if a 30th anniversary remix or 5.1 and was told 'probably not', also asked Steven Wilson 'Remixes' if he was a fan of O:M and haven't heard back...

JediJoker, FVDnz and Metalrob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.