Question about an Lp Rip

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by readingm, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readingm

readingm Senior Member Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. The file below is an Lp rip I did recently using the same process I always use, in Adobe Audition 3. As you can see, the 2nd half of the waveform, representing side 2, is slightly offset higher than the 1st half. I don't hear a problem with the file, I'm more curious than anything. What does this represent and is there a way to correct it, if it in fact even needs to be corrected? FYI, this was recorded from a mono LP. This is the first time I've ever seen this behavior and I've been doing this for about 15 years. I tried doing a search, but I didn't even know what to search for.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Technics 1200
    Shure M97xe/Jico SAS
    Phonomena Preamp
    M-Audio ProFire 610.

2. Doctor A

Doctor A Well-Known Member

Did you try to fix the offset using the setting in the Effects tab. I think that's where it is and I'd give you a better answer than that now if I wasn't recording Dorati and the London Orchestra playing Borodin and Rimsky-Korsakoff right now.

3. Doctor A

Doctor A Well-Known Member

Oops - might be under the Favorites tab as Repair DC Offset.

4. readingm

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. Do you know what might cause this? Something in the way the record was cut maybe?

5. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Looks like the sides are phase-inverted. Easy to correct, problem is you don't know which of the two is correct. :)

6. readingm

Thanks Antares. I was under the impression that inverted phase was only an issue with stereo files. In any case, I'm sure Audition has a way to correct this, so I'll do some more poking around.

7. readingm

I was able to fix this in RX3 using the phase correction under "channel operations." Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Vidiot and Antares like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

iZotope RX3 is a miraculous program when you use it well. Amazing results. Haven't yet tried RX4, but I'm hearing great things from a few people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.