Question about AR and Cuetools databases

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Albino, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Albino

The Albino New Member Thread Starter

Hi:
    have gotten some results with AccurateRip that are like 53/256. Can someone tell me how these numbers are correct? Do they lump one album together like the original, the remasters, reissues or cds outside the US in the 256 hits? Are the 53 considered bad rips? If anyone knows I would appreciate it.

Currently when a cd is released both here in the US and overseas , how are they different? Do they show up as being different with AR and cuetools data bases and if so why? I understand about offset but looks like cuetools takes that into account. Also bonus tracks or track order are pretty obvious.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It's a difference in pressing offsets. The actual audio data is the same, just offset differently by a few samples.

In the case of 53/256 there have been 53 people submit AR data for the particular pressing you ripped. As long as you get a match, even just 1/256, you are good. The odds of two people doing two different rips using two different CD drives and getting the same bad rip are very very very small. So as long as you match one other rip in the database you are good. Of course it does feel better and give you more confidence if more people match your rip. But the mathematicians will tell you just one match is enough.

3. The Albino

The Albino New Member Thread Starter

thanks that helps a lot. I guess that makes sense in overseas cds as well. they are prob pressed at different locations around the world when released.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The non-US pressings are going to have lower numbers than the US pressings.

The algorithm used by the CueTools DataBase is also better able to match against larger offsets than the AccurateRip algorithm. So you may get better results for some pressings using CueTools than with AccurateRip.

If you're using EAC make sure you're using the latest CueTools plug-in
    http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/CTDB_EAC_Plugin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.