Question about Blu-Ray players

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grand_Ennui, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway: Do Blu-Ray players "read" discs better than a standard DVD player? By that I mean I have a couple of DVDs that when it hits certain points on the DVD, it'll freeze up and/or jump ahead (not playing the disc correctly)... There are no scratches on the DVDs and they're dirt free as well... I know there's a possibilty that the DVDs themselves might have ingrained defects, but when it hits the "bad spot" and I slowly play it in reverse, the parts that get/got jumped over *are* visibly there, it's just when playing them regularly that it'll mess up... I suppose it could just be my DVD player too, but since I'm planning on buying a Blu-Ray player anyway, I'm just wondering if the "skipping" might be cleared up on a better player than the DVD/VCR combo I currently have?

Any suggestions/tips appreciated...

2. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Did you try another dvd player ?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

I just have the one...

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Cheap BluRay players will read DVDs, CDs and BluRays badly just like cheap DVD players will read DVDs and CDs badly. The better made (often more expensive) players will do a better job of error correction.

Honestly, it depends on the make and model.

5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Have you tried cleaning the laser lens?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Is there a good Blu-Ray player on the market for under $100 bucks? *sorry for hijacking the tread*

7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I presume your computer has a DVD player

8. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

9. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

10. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

11. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Sounds like you're seeing a layer change when the laser switches to the second data layer on longer discs. Most modern brand name blu-ray players should have enough memory buffering and fast enough mechanisms to make these much less obvious.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If it is a defect in the DVD, even if not visible to the naked eye, then it's possible that another player might be better able to handle the glitch. I'm not sure that a bluray player would be more tolerant though, as they deal with higher density discs, which means that the defect area would appear bigger (in theory). Short of trying to rip the disk, I guess you can only try a different player...

13. Grand_Ennui

Are there any you could recommend?

I do have a cleaner, so I'll try that to see if it helps anything...

I don't think you hijacked the thread... Your question has to do with Blu-Ray players, so it's cool...

It doesn't... I'm sure my computer is a dinosaur compared to what most people on here are running...

This makes a lot of sense... I think the one DVD even says something like "Dual layered format" or words to that effect...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.