Question about Classic Records DAD's and SACD players

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I just bought a Sony SCD-CE775 SACD player ($169 at Musician's Friend!). It does not have DVD capabilities. However, since SACD's are on DVD software, I was wondering if those Classic Records 24 bit DAD's would play on it. I thought they were only playable on DVD players, but it would be nice to play them on this machine as well. Can anyone tell me if they will play on the Sony without DVD capabilities?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Those DADs will only play on players with DVD capabilities. They will play downsampled on some DVD players not compatible with the sampling rate. Truer if you only setup audio output with coax only.

They will NOT play in your CE775. Ever. Your player will go "huh?" and spin to the next disc. Same goes with DVD-As and DVD's (video of course)

Sorry :(

Look for an inexpensive DVD-A player. I own the CE775 and a JVC inexpensive DVD-A with excellent results. You'll notice the big difference between the general sonics of the two.

3. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

Damn! That's what I thought, but I was hoping against hope they would work. I have a DVD-A player, but it is in my home theater. The 775 will be my main player in my living room. I am more likely to listen there than in my home theater, so I hoped it would play there. I probably should have bought a DVD/SACD player instead, but I heard good things about the 775, and for $169, it was too cheap to pass up.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You'd be a fool not to.

I felt like a total ******* knowing the DAD's wound't play, but I tried.

Duh...duh..duh...

But it's about licensing and design, chip D/A converter. True, all SACDs and DVD's are actually DVD's at heart, technically. There's just other things that make them different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.