Question about eBay's Global Shipping Program

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Wally Swift, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Forum Resident Thread Starter

I sold a clearly marked REPRESS with matrix info of Dennis Coffey Trio's Hair and Thangs for $24.99. Sold it through the GSP. 30 minutes after I mailed it the buyer tells me "oh, I didn't know it was a repress. If you mailed it already I'll be sending it back"

WTH?

Am I basically screwed? Do they even have to ship it back?

2. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

With respect to legit claims (as defined by eBay or paypal) the fact that you used the GSP is irrelevant. So this isn't a GSP question but rather a buyer wants to return an item situation.

If eBay feels the buyer has a legit claim then you'll be asked to pay for the return shipping if the buyer asks/pushes for that. That will definitely be more than the USA portion you got for the GSP program.

But this does not sound like a legit claim to me. You specified it was a repress and the buyer clearly made the mistake.

As a result, I think you have a good chance of escaping any claim.

If the buyer tried to file a claim via eBay I think you'd be safe here. If he claimed it was misrepresented you could point out that the auction ad said it was a repress. If he tried to file a claim for a different reason you have evidence that he intended on sending it back because he failed to realise it was a repress (and you could prove it with the eBay message). The fact he told you that does not help his case IMO, at least in terms of you having to pay out. What might happen is a courtesy refund from eBay to him (they have done this before in a claim I was involved in) with no cost to you.

If an eBay claim failed and tried something via Paypal, paypal will tell him to return the album at no cost to you for a refund. If he wanted to, he could claim a postage refund from Paypal directly, but Paypal, unlike eBay, doesn't force sellers to pay for return shipping.

Personally, although it might require a few phone calls to eBay to explain your side of things, I think you will be alright here.

But whatever you do, don't engage this guy at all right now. Just wait till he receives the lp and contacts you or files an eBay claim. If for some reason he messages you again about it, stay calm, leave out any accusations and stick to the facts e.g. "I mentioned it was a repress in the auction ad. If you want a refund, return the lp at your cost and I'll refund you" Or something along those lines. I know you don't have to refund him but if this knob head (yeah that's what I think he is and he gives good buyers like me a bad name by annoying sellers) is willing to pay for return shipping then you might as well go through with a return at his cost.

This seller sounds like he's going to be a real hassle though so don't be surprised if you need to make some phone calls. Don't even wait too long either. As soon as he files a claim, call eBay and tell them you aren't sure what to do and then explain what happened. I've done that in the past and they escalated the claim and it was cleared up pretty quickly from there.

3. Wally Swift

Thanks for your thorough reply eddiel!

4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Sage advice from @eddiel. Good luck Wally!

eddiel and Wally Swift like this.
  5. Wally Swift

Now this imbecile is chastising me for my "rip-off" shipping charges which I have nothing to do with. It was shipped via the GSP, not by me! That too was clearly indicated in the listing. This is why I don't ship abroad without GSP. No protection from asshats like this.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Great advice above. I'll add a couple points.

1) Regarding shipping charges, yes...that is totally between the GSP and the buyer. If as a seller you want a preview of what buyers overseas are faced with, just click on the destination country of choice within the listing and the amount will come up. And yes, the charges are indeed rather high. From what I understand, any feedback or "stars" ratings related to shipping costs are subject to removal by eBay. In other words, you shouldn't bear the brunt of that part of the transaction.

2) I think the initial communication from the buyer should be golden should he try to change his story later and claim a condition issue or something like that. I agree, stick to the facts and don't over-engage at this point. The ball is in the buyer's court.

Also agree that this stinks, that a rogue buyer gives the entire process a bad name. GSP is actually great for sellers because it allows for transactions that otherwise would not have taken place absent reasonable protections for overseas shipping. Good luck, I'll be interested to hear how this turns out.

Wally Swift and tmtomh like this.