Question about Oyaide r-1 receptacle

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by merlperl, Feb 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident Thread Starter

For anyone familiar enough...

1. Does anyone know if this can be used with a 15 amp line?

the website seems to indicate that but the box says “20A 125v”

2. can it be used with aluminum wiring? I think that what my house has...

3. Can is be used with 2 wire grounding? I only have two wires...

thanks!

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

1. No, you cannot install a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp line. Code does not permit it.

2 and 3 are moot points.

Edit: thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    macster and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

But also moot points. :)

zonto and F1nut like this.
  4. merlperl

5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Like I said the first time, it must be installed on a 20 amp line.

6. blakep

blakep Senior Member

A slightly different point of view or answer for the OP.

F1nut is absolutely correct in saying that installing it would be against code.

However, if you are confident that no 20 amp devices will be plugged into the outlet (ie. you have no 20 amp devices in the house which is quite likely, or you do not have friends and family visiting frequently who often bring their own 20 amp devices into your home and plug them in without informing you), it is highly unlikely that you will ever have any type of problem as there is no difference between a 20 amp receptacle and a 15 amp receptacle apart from the 20 amp receptacle being able to accept a 20 amp male plug.

If your house has aluminum wiring, the aluminum should not be connected directly to the R1 as it is not an aluminum rated or Co/alr receptacle. I would be much more concerned about this than installing a 20 amp receptacle on the 15 amp line. You could check, however, to see if your location/jurisdiction permits pig-tailing a suitable piece of copper wiring using proper dedicated marettes/connectors to connect the copper to the aluminum and then the copper to the R1. This is not only permissible where I live, but recommended. Would be a good idea to do the whole house at the same time if the wiring is in fact aluminum.

Finally, if you only have two wires, you have an ungrounded circuit. And you've likely been running that way for a long time with a receptacle that is grossly inferior to the R1. So the danger would be that you would be continuing to run ungrounded, albeit with a much better receptacle. Many people live happily with ungrounded wiring, either knowingly or unknowingly, for years without problems.

Is having a ground safer? No doubt, and your options in this case are to have the entire circuit rewired with ground, or if it is permissible in your area to install a ground fault circuit interrupter on that particular line. Again, permissible in my area but possibly not in the OP's.

It would be unusual to see ungrounded aluminum wiring where I live. Most common in mid to late 70's builds here and definitely grounded.

So the OP might want to check to see if it is indeed aluminum.

Running a new dedicated line might be the best solution, particularly if it is not a long run from the main panel.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

1. No. As @F1nut previously pointed out, it’s against the electrical Code.

2. No. Aluminum wiring using for home installations is a larger gauge for the application (either 12 or 10 gauge, depending on the electrical Code where you live). Code respecting aluminum house wiring also calls for receptacles and switches that have screws and/or insertion lock connections that can accommodate the larger aluminum gauge. Good quality receptacles and switches designed for standard 14/3 copper are very difficult and sometimes impossible to use with the heavier aluminum gauge. It’s also dangerous, and the reason the electrical Code prohibits it.

3. No. There is no such thing a 2-wire grounding. You really need to re-wire your place (unless you’re renting of course) to modern standards. Then again, re-wiring can be a bit expensive.

8. merlperl

The outlet is grounded. They have 2 wire grounding. I’ve checked with a tester also and it showed grounded.
    In any case I rent so I cannot Re-wire although I may look into running a dedicated line. The outlet would ONLY be used with audio equipment. Nothing else and it is behind the audio rack so nothing else would plug in there.
    What even draws 20 amps? Vacuum cleaner?

9. merlperl

3. No. There is no such thing a 2-wire grounding. You really need to re-wire your place (unless you’re renting of course) to modern standards. Then again, re-wiring can be a bit expensive.[/QUOTE]

when I plug a tester in the outlet it shows grounded. Is that deceiving?

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

when I plug a tester in the outlet it shows grounded. Is that deceiving?[/QUOTE]

You have either a defective tester or you are reading it incorrectly or there is a really dangerous wiring fault. In an alternating current circuit (or branch circuit) it is not possible to have one wire of a two-wire system as a ground.

F1nut likes this.
  11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

He-man amps are capable of drawing enough to require a 20 amp line.

12. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

By grounded do you mean the plug in tester says CORRECT?
    Plug in tester.
    Power Gear 3-Wire Receptacle Tester-50542 - The Home Depot

How do you know the wiring is aluminum? Have you pulled an outlet out of a wall box before and noticed the wiring is indeed aluminum?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  13. merlperl

Yes the unit shows correct. I use the one pictured in your link.
    And I have seen the wiring. I’m pretty sure it’s aluminum because it sure isn’t copper colored.

jea48 likes this.
  14. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Maybe you have a grounded box serving as the ground for the outlet?

15. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I've been using one for about 8 years on a 15amp line.....so has most who purchase it.

Oyaide R1 - VH Audio

"Notes: The Oyaide R1 is a 20 amp AC receptacle. The blade configuration for cables mating to the R1 may be either 15A standard with two vertical blades + ground blade or 20A with one horizontal blade and one vertical blade, along with a ground. DO NOT USE THE R1 WITH MALE 20A CONNECTORS unless your circuit is indeed rated for 20A."

jea48 likes this.
  16. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

If the wiring is aluminum you're screwed. You can't just change the outlet out to the Oyaide R1 duplex receptacle. Sorry to say the outlet is not approved for aluminum wire. If the side terminal screws are copper and or the wire connection screw down terminal plate
    is copper the copper will burn the aluminum wire away from it. Copper hates aluminum with a passion.

You would need to hire a qualified electrician that knows how to correctly pigtail copper to aluminum wire. Then you may find he will not install the 20 amp outlet on the 15 amp circuit.

You would be surprised just how many guys have installed a high dollar audio grade 20 amp duplex outlet on a 15 amp circuit. I doubt they would ever move without pulling the outlet and take it with them.

As for your question about a vacuum cleaner they have a maximum 12 amp FLA rating. 12 amps is the maximum continuous full load ampere rating for a cord and plug to be able to use a 15 amp plug.

17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

That's in violation of the NEC. If you sell your house it won't pass inspection and if your house catches fire your insurance company can deny the claim.

18. merlperl

Great info everyone thank you!

19. Slippers-on

Why would it catch fire? I have two verticals blades plus a ground. Did you even read what it says? It says right there...it may be used with a 15 amp standard with two verticals blades and a ground. One blade is wider than the other...hot and neutral plus a ground. Besides...a 20 amp connector these days won't fit into a 15 amp plug.

20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You can't be that clueless.

Slippers-on likes this.
  21. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Agree with F1nut. However, a better question for the OP is: why would you want to spend the $$ to buy a great receptacle like the R1 when everything up stream of it is inferior. Seems to me to make more sense to upgrade your line and the panel(more than likely a very old unit) than to add this receptacle. I had a similar situation when I went to a dedicated line; in my case, I upgraded the wiring to the transformer at the street, upgraded the connections at the transformer and replaced the panel.I then added a 20 amp dedicated line with 10/2 and lastly after all was up and running...replaced the stock 20 amp receptacle with the Oyaide. Seems to make more sense, no?

22. merlperl

I already have the r1 and I will probably end up installing a dedicated 20amp line because of the aluminum wiring.

I just was wondering if it’s advantages to just install the r1 now until I am ready to put a dedicated line in. I see now that it is at best not going to help much and at worst it will burn my house down.

so I will probably plunk down the money to run that line soon.

I should note I am renting and I will be taking the r1 with me when I eventually move.

jea48 likes this.
  23. Slippers-on

F1nut....im not scared to admit when I'm clueless....and I just maybe in this case. The language on the R1 suggest it can be installed with a 15 amp, but only If the 2 verticle blades are in place with a ground...Ive had it there for 8 years. I'm not the only audiophile who has done this....so class is open if you don't mind schooling me why I shouldn't other than code or catch fire? I'm going to remove it to be on the safe side of things now that you've set off the alarm....but please tell me why not Use it considering the language suggest we can? And do you use one and if so what brand are you using?

Thanks.

24. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

This paranoia about precisely conforming to code is only a problem if you are planning to sell the place, or if you plan on plugging-in any devices with those funny-looking 20 amp plugs into it. It is no less safe to run 15 amps (or less) through a 20 amp outlet which is sitting on a 15 amp circuit than it is to run 15 amps (or less) thought a 15 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit. In both cases your 15 amp breaker will pop is your draw more than 15 amps. So its really not a big deal.

The only reason why code specifies that you can't use a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit is so that somebody can visually know the rating of a given circuit by just looking at the outlets connected to it.

But since you don't own, and you're not going to sell the place in this condition, this should not be an issue for you. Just remember to replace this outlet with a 15 amp outlet before you move out so that a future tenant doesn't treat that 15 amp circuit like a 20 amp circuit.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  25. Slippers-on

Thank you...thats what I thought as well. Ive had mine in place for 8 years now. But decided to send VH AUDIO a question about it seeing they have it written on their web site saying it's ok. Depending on their reply, I will either remove it or keep it in place. Even without a dedicated line, the sound improvement it yields is like night and day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.