Question about Turntable / Tonearm purchase.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Vinyl, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

I'm in the market for a new Turntable and Tonearm. I can approach this purchase in 2 ways and would like to get some opinions on what direction you would take and why.

My budget for this is roughly $5,000 CAD ($4,300 USD)

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Hmmm. . .

Never had a "Better Turntable" that didn't have a "Better Arm."

If it's any help, I really like SME arms, they make models in your price range. If you're willing to buy used, Vinyl Nirvana has refurbished Thorens turntables with recent SME arms for about half of your budget. That would give you some wiggle room for the cartridge.

http://vinylnirvana.com/

3. Johnny Vinyl

It's easy to do if you buy separately.
    $3,000 TT + $2,000 Arm
    $4,000 TT + $1,000 Arm

And yes, used is something I would also consider.

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

Definitely a better TT with a better arm.

Metralla likes this.
  5. Johnny Vinyl

That wasn't an option. LOL!

6. missan

missan Forum Resident

I still would go for that.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

John, I think the answer lies in the ability for you to hear the various TT and tonearm combos that are available to you. Hopefully, you can hear the combo in YOUR system before making a purchase decision.
    IME, the TT is FAR more important than the arm. However, IF you have a set up that is NOT synergistic, then changing the tonearm is FAR easier and less costly than changing the TT and probably the arm as well.
    As you know, I am partial to the Linn tables...they offer a limited( OK VERY limited) number of arms that will work with the table. BUT, once dialed in, I believe the Linn is still one of the very best TT's you can acquire. Plus, it offers an upgrade path ( albeit expensive) that will allow to you to get to what i consider SOTA.
    The buy in price is well within your suggested budget.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  8. Johnny Vinyl

I'm inclined to side on the Turntable being most important, but wanted to ask the question anyway as there are always varying opinions out there.

DaveyF likes this.
  9. russk

russk Forum Resident

I always try to go for synergy. Two items that work so well together and compliment each other to the point that they are better together. That being said my favorite table and arm in your price range is the Michell Gyrodec with there arm. Should be able to pick one up for 3600.00 US so you can ad the rest to your set up budget and cartridge.

If one piece of audio equipment is a lot better then another in the chain I find that it usually really shows up the flaws of the lesser piece to the point where the set up sounds worse then two appropriately matched pieces of lesser quality/price.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've put Grace 707 arms on AR XA turntables. While I would say both components are of equal importance, it's easier to find really good turntables than to find really good arms. The combo of a pretty good turntable with a great arm works better than a great turntable with a pretty good arm. Best I've heard was a fully loaded Linn LP-12 attached to $20,000 of phono pre, but that's outside of your budget. Linns can be good. They also can be not so good, dependent on a number of factors, biggest one being luck.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Gotta agree with missan as usual. Both aspects are critical to performance. Finding a package that offers both very high quality components is the best option. Overspending on one and underspending on the other isn't going to yield the same results, so I'd try to strike a balance there. The Rega RP8 offers both very nice table and arm and provides excellent performance under your budget. For just a bit more than your budget, the RP10 really steps up the tonearm and power supply quality.
    -Bill

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  12. missan

missan Forum Resident

I think much of the distortion from a TT and an arm is quite similar, it will be heard in the same way, mostly. But if we would picture a totally inert TT contra a totally inert arm, I would take a totally inert arm. Meaning there should in fact be an advantage having a very good arm, always.
    YMMV

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Robin L likes this.
  13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Definitely give this consideration. This one in particular: http://vinylnirvana.com/vintage-tur...me-m2-9-arm-custom-caribbean-rosewood-plinth/

Plenty of money left for a good cartridge, and you're all set with a better/better option.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

BTW, a friend suggested the new VPI Prime that comes loaded with the new 3D arm and all for $3500-! I haven't heard this combo, BUT it sure looks interesting. Perhaps someone here who has heard it can elaborate on the sound.
    I'm still a Linnie, BUT I am interested in opinions on this combo. ( Seems like a LOT of TT for not too much $$ ).

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  15. Johnny Vinyl

It's one I'm looking at.

DaveyF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.