Question about using a mixer while recording-

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pipster, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipster

pipster New Member Thread Starter

Ok, so I want to be able to have my keyboard and my laptop sound outputs going into the same pair of headphones simultaneously. That way I can listen to a track I have already recorded while I record a new track. Can I do this with a mixer? If so what kind do I need? Also will it be possible to only record the new tack after it goes through the mixer while I listen to both tracks so that I can edit each track individually on my computer? Or will I need 2 mixers for that? Thanks to anyone that helps me.

2. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

3. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

You probably need an audio interface, not a mixer. You will also need some software, like Audacity.

4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Interface and Garage band
    Cheap and cheerful

5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Look at some of the new, affordable Yamaha mixers that have usb to 24/192. Call Ben at SweetwaterSound and get some good advice . Their micpres sound very good and have any number if inputs you might need.

The Mackie boards are also well liked, not quite as warm as the Yamahas, but I own both and like the equally as well.

6. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The best solution is to get a mixer and a Male to 2 Female splitter adapter. Plug the splitter adapter into the keyboard, then run one cable into your recording device, and run the other cable into the mixer. Then run a cable from your headphone laptop into another channel on the mixer (you'll probably need an adapter to do this as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.