Question About Vintage (1970's) Speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by J. R., Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Been thinking about the speakers that first made me an audiophile. When I first was stationed in Germany back in 1976, my barracks-mate had the first good hi-fi system I had ever heard with these speakers that just blew me away - so much so, that I bought them from him. The years went by and I sold them at some point.

They were either AR or Advent Speakers with blue cloth removable grills. Not towers, but not really bookshelf, probably about 3 foot high by maybe a foot wide. Any ideas what they may have been (pictures would be awesome). I wouldn't mind tracking those down for a separate vintage audio system.

2. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I had floor Advents and my brother had bookshelf Advents in the seventies and neither had blue cloth grilles (both grilles were beige). They both were great speakers though for the money. I hope this helps a little.

randy9700 likes this.
  3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

JBL had some speakers with colored grill fabric or foam. Try searching vintage JBL there is a lot of information out there.

I believe Speakerlab also offered loudspeakers with colored grills. Some were big horn-loaded designs.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

JBL had some blue grills. L26 or L36 perhaps?

timztunz likes this.
  5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

'70 speakers: AlNiCo

They sound wonderful.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  6. J. R.

They were not JBL's, I am positive about that. They were AR's or Advents

7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Micro acoustics FRM-1 had blue cloth and other colors, a thick removable grille. To my knowledge, neither AR nor Advent produced any speaker with blue cloth.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think the blue cloth is throwing people. I don't remember blue cloth on any speaker unless it was a European thing. I had Advents. A friend had ARs.

What were the drivers like? Orange tweeters perhaps?

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Blue was available on various US models mainly in the 1970's.

Here's some vintage samples of grill cloth.

[​IMG]

JBL 1976 ad: Note the L65 has a blue grill.

[​IMG]

Gary likes this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

BIC is the only maker I recall with blue grill covers. They were foam though if memory serves.

12. J. R.

13. J. R.

Blue cloth grill is nearly exactly the same as the speaker I remember, but it wasn't a JBL. I know because I had a friend with JBL's and we were always comparing. Seems like the speakers I had were a little skinnier than the JBL pictured. They may not have been AR's or Advents, but they were certainly not JBL. One thing for sure, they were bought in Germany, from the Army Air Force Exchange System (AFEES), either in the BX in Hahn AB, GE or at the massive audio store they had in Wiesbaden...

14. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Pioneer also offered speakers with blue grille cloths.

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

timztunz likes this.
  16. J. R.

These were not Japanese speakers - also the grill was relatively flat.

17. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

I had a pair of these. Had forgotten all about them!
    [​IMG]
    The blue speaker cloth (a bright blue, a shade of blue that had been banned by 1980, I think) was stretched over a metal frame that stuck out from the front of the speaker by 2-3 inches because they had to make room for the tweeters, which were mounted on a "multi directional" metal frame that jutted out from the front of the speaker cabinet. I sold the speakers not long after I bought them, got tired of their sound; replaced them with Ohm H's which were much better (but not blue). From Tech HiFi in Worcester Mass in '73.

The BIC Venturi speakers mentioned above had colored waffle grilles made of a sponge-like material, which came in several colors. A friend of mine had beige ones (Formula 6 model), but I do think there were blue ones. (He eventually spray painted his a different color). These speakers also had tweeters that jutted out, so the sponge grille was scooped out from the inside, making it thinner in that area. The grille would then slump at the thin part, causing it to fall off. On Google (images) there are no BICs with grilles. This is why.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.