Question concerning one of Frank Sinatra's Columbia versions of "Nancy"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Pastuszak, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Pastuszak

Ted Pastuszak Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was surprised to recently discover that the same take of “Nancy” that appears on the 4 CD Columbia set “The Voice’ from the ‘80’s or so also appears on the single Columbia CD, “Frank Sinatra’s Greatest Hits, The Early Years.”

The version on the greatest hits CD, however, seems to have an echo effect on the vocal. I was curious if anyone knew if this echo was added when the album was originally released, or if it was done as some other time (either before that album was compiled or maybe not until the CD issue).

I understand that Columbia may have done several different, simultaneous live balances/mixes during a session, so perhaps this was done at the time of the recording.

Any information would be appreciated. I was really amazed to have heard this. Thank you!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The 1991 Columbia CD (assuming that's the one you have; there were others with the same title) was a straight reissue of a 1966 Columbia compilation LP. Both are pictured below (CD first; "stereo" LP second):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The reverb you hear is NOT present on the original Columbia master. In the '50s and '60s, Columbia added gobs of reverb to its LP compilations of '40s Sinatra material. They may have believed that would better position those records to compete with the newer Capitol and Reprise albums. (As can be seen, they even used an anachronistic cover image of Sinatra.)

As for the particular track you mention, "Nancy (with the Laughing Face)", you will find more information in the SFF thread: GREATEST HITS: THE EARLY YEARS (Columbia) 1966. It is one of at least five studio versions, and an alternate take of the 1945 single, as detailed here:

Frank Sinatra Sessionography : Columbia II Studio Session, V Disc Session, 1940s

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. Ted Pastuszak

As always, thank you, Bob, for solving the mystery. And I will check out that SFF thread.

Regarding the multiple versions of "Nancy," I recall when I purchased the V-Disc box, Will Friedwald mentioned in his notes that there were two V-Disc versions, the one included on the CD set, and another (I believe) longer version, for which I think he even included the running time. I spent forever trying to track down that alternate V-Disc version, during which time two serious collectors wrote and told me that they never heard of it. I'm thinking now that the track might have been from a commercial radio performance (quite possibly the one included on the massive "Sinatra and Friends: 60 Greatest Old Time Radio Shows") and used at some point on an armed forces disc - but perhaps not a true V-Disc. Sorry for running off topic!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If you check 'Show All" under "Session Type" in the right column of that Sessionography page I linked, you will pick up three more (radio) recordings of the song, all of which appeared in the Radio Spirits box set.

5. Ted Pastuszak

Thanks, Bob.

One more quick question: On the link, it suggests that the one-CD version of "The Ultimate Sinatra" includes a version of "Nancy" that differs from the other versions of that 2015 set. Please confirm if this is true. I tried to keep up with the various versions of that release (including getting the UK version so I could get the unreleased downloads), but I wasn't aware that there could be variations between the US packages.

But "Nancy" is a great song with a wonderful history, and I enjoyed tracking down the various versions over the years. It's also great to find out about a few that I've missed, too!

CBackley likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No, the same version appears in ALL the different editions of Ultimate Sinatra. The Sessionography lists only "Selected Releases." It chose the 1-CD Edition as representative of all the many others in the Discography (which you will see listed if you follow the album link to that edition):

Frank Sinatra Album - Ultimate Sinatra [1-CD Edition] 2015 Signature Sinatra/Capitol/UMe B0022437-02

7. Ted Pastuszak

Great - thanks for the clarification, Bob.

8. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I was fascinated to read that the lyrics to 'Nancy (with the Laughing Face)' were written by Phil Silvers

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It wasn't written for little Nancy Sinatra, originally. Comedian Silvers (in his pre-Sergeant Bilko days) came up with the title for songwriter Johnny Burke's wife Bessie, after she cracked up at one of his jokes. Burke's partner Jimmy Van Heusen had a melody for "Bessie with the Laughng Face," but Burke wasn't interested in co-writing the song. So Van Heusen called on Phil Silvers to pen the lyrics to go with his title. And their pal Frank Sinatra received a gift for his daughter's 4th birthday (1944).

[​IMG]

CBackley, Tina_UK and Emberglow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.