Question for Musicians: At What Age Do You Lose Your "Cool"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Forklifter, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering if there were any 50+ musicians here who get the cold shoulder from other younger musicians regardless of your ability and chops who in my humble opinion seem to be more about image and visual appeal than music.I understand that if you are actively pursuing a career that image matters and I went through that stage as well but when it comes down to jamming or playing local clubs and getting up and going to work the next day should the age of the people you are playing with matter or is it just the whole be cool/get the chicks thing on a micro instead of macro level.

2. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

You're "old" the day you turn 30.

Fullbug, Cousin It, scobb and 8 others like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I bet it's immediately following your successful, "reunion" tour.

SquishySounds and bzfgt like this.
  4. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Remember you said that in 7 years kiddo.

5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Cool has more to do with looks and attitude than chronological age. Al Pacino and Dolly Parton for example are cool.

Grant likes this.
  6. SincerelyLCohen

SincerelyLCohen Active Member

when this comes out. I am just going to post this all day.

7. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I guess he got younger after "Let's Work" then, because the next single from that same album kicks ass, and with Jeff Beck no less.

Nipper and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I know that when you reach a certain age, for me around 40 probably, when you stop caring if anybody thinks of you as being "cool". You just be yourself and don't really care what others think. It's very liberating, and is probably one of the few real benefits of the aging process.

Not sure how this translates to musicians though. The ones I most respect never really tried to chase trends, even when they were in their 20s. They were always just themselves.

cwitt1980, Fullbug, Gary7704 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Yep, spot-on. That's exactly how I remember it. :D

BryanA-HTX and bzfgt like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No, never... they are in awe...always. : )

gregorya and pseudopod like this.
  11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

When I was younger I wanted to be cool, but as time went on it just didn’t matter anymore because I knew that I wasn’t. I’m actually the furthest thing from cool and I’m content with this.

12. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

You're not cool anymore when your first child turns ...?
    For me, it was 16.

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'll let you know. I'm 55 now, and am way cooler than my younger neighbour.........

grapenut, Fullbug, zphage and 2 others like this.
  14. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Some people just "have it" and are always cool no matter what age - like Tom Petty.

Fullbug, CBS 65780 and colgems1966 like this.
  15. Forklifter

The question is not about the stars but about regular folks who have been playing for decades and have the ability and chops but are rejected by younger musicians simply for their age,we are not talking about playing Madison Square Garden here but playing local clubs or just jamming.

bluejimbop, Archtop and elaterium like this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I lose my cool every day... :realmad: :cussing:

:biglaugh:

zphage, boboquisp and pseudopod like this.
  17. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

[​IMG]

efegarcia, scobb, athensdrums and 2 others like this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

19. Forklifter

I guess I should have known better

bluejimbop likes this.
  20. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You're never uncool as long as you DON'T fall into the image trap. Make interesting music, and throw fashion to the side. Otherwise, you'll look like an idiot trying to look 20 years younger than you are. Also, if you were in your 20's when pointy guitars were all the rage in the 80's, you were already uncool by 1992. Throw that BC Rich away and just play something organic.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I’m 63 and I have people in their 20’s and 30’s wanting to make music with me. The other day some 20 something came up to me on the street in New Paltz, NY and told me I seemed like a guru. I responded “Nah, I’m just as effed up as everyone else”.

Fullbug, RubenH and mcchocchoc like this.
  22. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Other people know before you figure it out.

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...no...you're "old" the day you stop playing.

9 Volt and showtaper like this.
  24. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I'm 37. I just quit one of the bands I was in, and I'm still playing in the other.

My ex-bandmates (from the one I just quit) are all still very active and "visible" in their other projects. Still going to other peoples' shows, liking all the "right" posts on social media, etc.

The band in which I've remained, we are focused on writing new music, getting out of town to play, and playing as best as we can. I've almost entirely removed the "social" component from my music making endeavors - when I'm not at band practice or playing a show myself, I'm at home with my wife. This summer, I figured out that I really, really enjoy being "boring." The band I'm still in has some great jams and we all get along fine. I found that the preoccupations with scene politics and scratching the proverbial backs not only led the music to suffer, but it was also very *depressing.*

25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

In terms of trying to look cool or act like a young person, I’ll give the benefit of the doubt somewhere into one’s thirties. For most folks, there’s severely diminishing returns in this category as you progress beyond the big three zero, and depending on genetics, the rate of attrition is highly variable. Beyond that point, the notion of basing one’s career upon image becomes embarrassingly laughable. Just have a glance at Marilyn Manson these days.

Fullbug and bluejimbop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.