Question for Okki Nokki users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marko K, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident Thread Starter

I plan to buy Okki Nokki next month. I have a few thousand records (most of them double records) that need to be cleaned, but it seems that the Okki Nokki velvet strips only last less than hundred records and the replacements are relatively expensive (8 euros). Have anyone tried to make these velvet strips from velvet ribbons you can get from fabric stores? Or are these a completely different material?

Thanks.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I think that I've gotten more than a hundred cleans of a set of strips. The felt strips made by Disc Doctor fit perfectly and I believe are cheaper.

quicksilverbudie and Bill Hart like this.
  3. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

I replaced my velvet strips with fabric store ribbon but the only adhesive that stuck at all was 3M Super 77 and it didn't work that great. I'd go with the disc doctor replacements.

4. Marko K

5. ssmith3046

6. Marko K

It seems that most of the ones you can see on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk right now are not the real Okki Nokki velvet strips.

RONENRAY likes this.
  7. martinb

martinb Senior Member

I've been using the Clearaudio replacement strips for a while now. You can get them in packs of 3 for around £10. Fit the Okki Nokki perfectly.

I'm sure they last more than a hundred records.

sound chaser likes this.
  8. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

9. martinb

martinb Senior Member

10. Marko K

Bought the velvet ribbon from a fabric store (the 9mm width is the standard, meaning - perfect) and a double-sided tape and I cant see any reason why this shouldnt work. It took me 4 minutes to make a pair of velvet strips (and they even look great), now all I need is a Okki Nokki, haha

NB Dont buy the all-clear double-sided tape, these are not very adhesive, buy the ones which have a extra layer you can peel off, I bought this:

http://www.milan.es/en/default.aspx...7D078A329AD306E40D4BF25B0183C9BA217B54505D1E6

It sticks better than any other tape I have ever used (sticks to fabric perfectly).

11. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

raferx and Marko K like this.
  12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I just got my Okki Nokki, latest generation. I have not seen one in real before but have a question for those who got one. When you run the motor forward/backwards. Is it dead silent or do you hear a motor grinding noise? I do. It's not much but it's there.

13. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Mine doesn't make a grinding noise.

14. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Do you know which gen you have? Yours is silent like a turntable motor?
    Anyway, it works great and the manufacturer says it's no worries if the motor make some noise. My friend got same gen and it sounds like mine.

15. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Mine is a year old, works great, but is a little noisy once in a while. Never concerned me.

16. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Yeah mine is very quiet but I don't know which generation it is.

17. Marko K

I now have the generation II and the motor makes noise, it is supposed to be like that (just check any youtube Okki Nokki video).

But what I need to fix is the uneven platter.

18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Is it causing you any problems? Mine is not flat as a turnbtable platter but seems to do what it should.

19. Marko K

A little. The platter is actually flat, but the part where its attached to the spindle needs some tweaking. I dont know how that spindle part is made on the previous model, but the fix should be easy.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm not sure how loud the noise you hear is, but I've owned two different models of the Okki Nokki and heard the new model being used at the TAVES show in Toronto in October. All the models make some motor noise and I can see how someone would classify it as a grinding noise. None were dead silent. I think it's just a normal noise that the machine would make. Unless the noise you hear sounds like gears actually being ground and damaged and the platter doesn't rotate smoothly, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the platter, they've always been flat, or at least I haven't noticed any significant issues with any of the three models I have seen/used. I'm due for some record cleaning tomorrow so I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I notice anything significant.

21. ssmith3046

I cleaned a batch of new records yesterday with my Okki Nokki that I've had for going on two years now the platter is flat as a proverbial board. Mine has always had some motor noise but it still working great.

22. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Okie Nokki Question. I use L´art du son but I want to end the cleaning process with distilled clean water. However the water just make puddles on the record surface and it doesn't get into the grooves so I suppose I need some kind of detergent.

What is to prefer between Kodak Photo Flo 200 and normal dishwasher detergent?

23. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Anyone tried to remove the silicone rubber mat in order to clean it and put it back on?

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The mat is permanently stuck down so don't attempt to remove (my older Okki Nokki has a felt mat). I would not add anything to the distilled water rinse. It does get into the grooves without a surfactant . Just use brush to spread and vacuum as normal. Agree this is necessary with L'Art Du Son. However I would recommend an alcohol based cleaner by 'Rebirth of The Cool' called 'The Right One' from the UK as being far better.

25. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Really? Because my mat is not sitting flat on top of the metal platter so I tried to lift it gently and mine for sure does not seem to be permanently stuck down. It seems just to be wrapped onto the metal platter under it. But I don't know for sure so I wondered if someone tried to remove it :)

I avoid alcohol based cleaners since it resolves the adhesives on the pads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.