Question for Steve about the McIntosh MT-10 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike Dow, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

Steve,

I see in your equipment profile (at link below) that you now have the new McIntosh turntable. Do you like it? What is your primary use for it?

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=123622

I'm thinking of acquiring a new TT and would appreciate any info! Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mike,

I needed a machine in my mastering room that plays three speeds just like my Continuum Audio Labs Criterion turntable in my listening room and at the CES I discussed my situation with the McIntosh people.

At any rate, the McIntosh MT 10 is set up for you at the factory, plays like a dream and will come in very handy for some of my work needs. The platter glows green which is nifty and the entire unit is very "strong". What I mean by that is the Mac Turntable in the McIntosh room at CES took quite a beating being in constant use day and night for a week but never failed to deliver less than stellar sound.

As it says in the big instruction book:

Tracking force, anti-skate and cartridge position are all preset. The MT-10 is ready to use just moments after unpacking.

The MT10 tone arm features a specially dampened Dural-Aluminium arm tube. The light weight and rigidity of the tone arm is an ideal mate for the custom, medium-weight moving coil cartridge.

The massive platter is CNC machined from a special silicone acrylic material to a weight of twelve pounds and a thickness of two and one-half inches for near immunity to bass-robbing resonances.

The MT10 Turntable Platter rotates on a special Magnetic Air Damped Bearing; literally suspended on a cushion of air for near friction-free performance.

Working with great equipment like this makes my job so much easier. Mike, the list price is $8,000.00. I am sure there is a discount price.

Attached Files:

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

That is a beautiful machine. :love:

Out of curiosity, what (or whom) have you most recently played on your MT10?

I'll do a little research on the price. Thanks again!

4. Steve Hoffman

Mike,

I've used the machine the past week to do some needle drops on 1970s 33 1/3 RPM acetate material from Rural Rhythm Records that only exists on record. Also I've been enjoying playing some test pressings that I've worked on recently from Blue Note and Warner Bros. Keeps me in the mood as it were.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That looks very nice, Steve. I'm sure it makes for a good-looking combo with your McIntosh MC402 amp.

When you say 3 speeds, I'm assuming the third is 78rpm? Just curious how those would come into play in the mastering playback.

6. Steve Hoffman

Yes, Sam, 78 RPM.

I use the fast speed a lot. I have many microgroove 78 rpm test records, tones, pink noise, etc. that I have used in setup for many years, many from Neumann in Germany. Some on acetate, some pressed. I also have some "tests" that I cut at that speed many years ago that really aid in tone balancing in various rooms and on misc. gear. So, I really need the three speeds.

The blue meter in front shows what speed the machine is set at...

Attached Files:

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's a thing of beauty. I also love how it's almost "plug & play" too, it being set up at the factory! :cool:

I wonder if any of my local McIntosh dealers have one as a demo yet? Hmmm...

8. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

I can attest to its beauty for sure. It's such a stunning yet simple looking piece of art. I was at Stereo Exchange today and man, they have some beautiful McIntosh stuff there. I was literally drooling on some tubes !

doug

9. rcarlton

rcarlton Forum Resident

I don't like the front view at all. Seems forced, meter is more for show than function, which cheapens the look for me. Now the side view...not bad.

10. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Beautiful looking turntable. How much?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

MSRP is $8,000

Steve, can the blue meter be dimmed by the right hand knob? Also, are the knobs more shiny than on your McIntosh MC402 amp?

My local dealer has not got this one in yet. I like the fact that it is set up at the factory by a real person.

12. Steve Hoffman

Dimmed? Don't know. Matches my 402 exactly, knobs, design, etc.

Someone told me the list is actually $9,000.00 now. A lot of kale.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That's certainly a plus. :cool:

14. motorcitydave

Which MC phono stage are you using with this table?

15. Steve Hoffman

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I think it's a neat looking table, would be a nice match for my C2300 preamp which I love. Glad to hear this table sounds good. I like easy/"set up for you," given my schedule/life these days. :thumbsup:

17. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Steve,

Do you still cut at 78 RPM for any purpose these days?

18. motorcitydave

19. Paul Chang

I prefer the side view, too.

I think the meter would look better if it is on the face plate of an outboard speed control.

20. Steve Hoffman

No.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

This may sound like a dumb question but do you use the same McIntosh cartridge/stylus for 33.3, 45 and 78 rpm? I presume that the custom made, medium-weight moving coil cartridge is designed for all three speeds?

I thought I read that there were specific cartridges/styli for the 78 rpm records. I could be wrong, though. :)

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

As opposed to a robot? ;)

Surely it will have final set up by the dealer before delivery - at $9k, one would expect so.

23. Paul Chang

$500 may not be a big deal for most potential buyers but it's actually listed for $9,500. (Honey, they shrunk the Dollar! :sigh: )

Hope to see a review in Tone Audio.

24. Paul Chang

I also would like to know whether the MT-10 cartridge can play regular 78's.

But I think Steve's 78 RPM test records are modern (Let me guess, vinyl?) pressings. They are not your father's ol' 78's.

25. Paul Chang

Do you have the means to cut them if you want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.