Question for Steve: Bashin-Jimmy Smith DCC

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

I noticed when I played Bashin that the organ sounded yery bright, or was it tape overload? I've only played it on my computer so far, not on my main system. Just wondering if ther was a tape problem. Thanks, Ron.:confused:

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ron,

I cannot answer your question specifically but, I have owned this CD for a number years, have recorded from it many times and I am very familar with it. Actually, it is one of my favorite SH mastered discs. Overall, the CD is a bit bright but, then again, the instruments used in the recording lend themselves to being a bit bright (horns, organ, etc). It is a wonderful recording with "all-star" back-up players. It grew on me after I purchased it and I ended buying a copy for my Father for Father's Day one year. In my opinion, the music and arrangements have a real "New York" feel.

Bob

3. Ronflugelguy

Bob, you may be right, as I feel that the master was kind of bright. Another Question: I own the speakers Corner version of "The Cat" by Jimmy Smith, I haven't pulled it out, but I wonder if the version of walk on the Wild Side is the same version as the one on Bashin?

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ron,

I do not have "The Cat" so I cannot comment.

Bob

5. Ronflugelguy

As soon as I get off my lazy #$%, I'll check.;)

6. Ronflugelguy

No,I was wrong! I must have been dreaming! Similar tunes and Orchestration, and personel, and not from the same recording session! My mistake! I must have heard "Walk on the Wild side" on the radio recently. Anyway both are somewhat bright, but great music!!!!!!!!!!

7. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

I agree also that the top is a little aggressive on this session. Obviously with Steve's mastering you know your getting what is on the master tape though. The musical performance is excellent however. I suggest anyone getting into jazz or who is in to Steve's work pick this cd up. Well pick it up and play it at any rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.