Question For Steve Hoffman: What is your opinion on mono pressings for other countr

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nad 214, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello Steve I ask this because I got in the mail today an original mono y&b revolver. I also have an original Brazilian mono pressing of revolver, Hard Days night and a French mono Sgt Pepper. I was very impressed with The British edition but my Brazilian pressings stack up well to it. The French Sgt Pepper is very nice to but sounds as though it is a different mix nothing major except on a few segments but it was an eye opener when I heard it. My question after all that is have you heard? Any other mono pressings? And what are you opinions on them. Oh yes before I end this I also have an original mono UK Sgt Pepper and it’s wonderful.
    Thanks

Ps Happy birthday

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Frequently, other countries (i.e. Brazil, etc.) might have folded-down mono pressings of stuff, especially of things not generally available in mono. See lots of Zappa's albums, for example; mono Chungas are constantly being eBayed.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

At one time I had a lot of French Beatles EP's and LP's and some from Holland, Germany, Down Under, etc. Most everything I played sounded OK, but not totally wonderful, mono wise. Even the stereo pressings varied a LOT in sound quality.

These days I just have the British monos. They sound pretty good. I had a few discs from South America but they always sounded a bit grainy and overcompressed to me. At one time I think I had every pressing from every country ever issued on the Mop Tops. I sold most of that stuff when I bought my first house.....Oh well.

So I didn't answer your question, sorry....:)

4. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident Thread Starter

yes steve you did. i guess as i've read here a lot lately, is that all these different pressing are like ice cream many flavors, and there all good.
    well some of them lol well most of them ok the mono British are the best i give in omg there goes the bank account. LOL

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I suppose, then, you must've heard Argentinian pressings at some point? Any comments? 'Cause those are all I can find round here :D.

I do have a trashed (and I mean trashed) mono Revolver and it definitely does fit your 'grainy' description. But that's one of the things I like about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.