Question on EAC rip

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chooke, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi
    I use EAC to rip CDs to flac. Usually it works well but I've come across an issue with mofi's Nirvana. The Mofi version has a hidden track and EAC's database does not list Mofi's version. Using the regular CD from the database results in errors on each track, and that is after several hours it takes to rip this particular disc. Is there a way around this or should I be using a different ripper¿
    Cheers

2. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Ignore the database and rip it using your own data.
    You will be first to add that version to the database.
    The database is continually growing.

Lots of my new releases were not on the database when I ripped them.

3. Chooke

Thanks for that. Silly question... How do I use my own data and add it to their database?

4. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Instead of using the freedb or whatever to get track titles, just leave it at track 01, track 02 without the freedb info and then you type in the titles and other info at the top yourself - then rip it.

They usually will send the info to the database when you rip something new that it doesn't recognize or once a month or the next time you start it up it may ask you if you want to send the info in.

5. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

If it's taking several hours to rip, there's probably something wrong with the disc. Database metadata wouldn't have anything to do with it. And EAC doesn't have a database. You're probably pulling the metadata from freedb.

MrRom92 and fluffskul like this.
  6. Chooke

Thanks for the replies. A faulty disc also crossed my mind but I wasn't sure whether it is that or the hidden track on the mfsl. It seems to rip ok until it gets to the location around the hidden track.

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

In my experience most CD issues occur towards the end... probably from improper handling (sorry if you are original owner).

8. Chooke

No, I bought the disc used from eBay.

fluffskul likes this.
  9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

unless you somehow got this for really cheap i'd request a refund. anyone who listens/collects to the point of dabbling w/ MoFi should know better than to sell a disc that won't rip w/ EAC for the kind of $ MoFi gets on ebay.

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Try ripping the CD with a different CD-ROM drive. Some drives can have problems with specific discs. Not because the disc is necessarily faulty. It's just that sometimes a certain drive or certain model/brand of drive will have problems with a disc and a different drive will rip the disc just fine.

If you don't have a different CD-ROM drive handy you can try a different ripping program. CUERipper (part of the CUETools package) does AccurateRips and may work. Different rippers read the disc differently. Sometimes one ripping program will get stuck while a different ripping program is able to rip the disc with no problems. I use EAC, dBpoweramp, and CUERipper.

Dino likes this.
  11. Chooke

I would but unfortunately I purchased it several months ago and only got around to using it now.

12. Chooke

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

13. Ham Sandwich

CUERipper works well. The program doesn't have an install. You extract the ZIP (or RAR) file to a directory. Then manually click on the EXE file to run it, or manually create a shortcut for it and put that shortcut in the Start menu.

The first rip or two you try with it should be a regular common CD. Do a test. And make sure it sets the correct offsets for your drive and is able to do a good rip. Then try the MFSL CD and see what happens. The UI for CUERipper is easier to figure out than EAC. There is a slider in the lower-left area that sets the ripping mode (burst, secure, paranoid). Set it to "Secure".

Dino likes this.
  14. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Try to rip it in burst mode. That sometimes helps with bad discs. If Accurate Rip is available, I rip everything in burst-mode, saves time and discdrive-lifetime.

If you can't get a refund, maybe you can live with the results. I could not rip the last track on my copy of Fresh Cream correctly for some reason. It turned out that all the errors were between seconds 0 and 1 of the track and I didn't hear anything suspicious on playback.

15. Chooke

Thanks for all that. I've contacted the seller, he has a store and has several mfsl and dcc discs listed, and see how I go before trying the other options you all have recommended.

16. Ham Sandwich

If the disc has no significant scratches or other damage then it is very likely OK. Just because it doesn't rip with one particular drive doesn't mean it's a defective disc. I wouldn't be trying to return it yet.

Some computer drives just have problems with certain discs, even when those discs look clean and unscuffed. That's a reason why I have two different ripping drives. Each a different brand. Both of them known to be good rippers. Sometimes one works on a disc that the other doesn't. No rhyme or reason as to why. And also why I end up using EAC, dBpoweramp, and CUERipper. Sometimes one ripper works when the others don't.

17. Chooke

Yeah ok. Thing is, I've ripped just over 100 cd's using EAC now and this is the first time it has happened. But point taken, I'll give the others a go.

Another thing that makes me suspect, is there is a long stretch of silence somewhere where the hidden track is. Also some of the music around that point sounds weird. I haven't heard the mfsl master of this album before and I did read somewhere that some tracks do sound different to the regular release so I'm not sure if it is the disc or how it's supposed to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.