Question on Marantz Phono Stage... (PM8005 vs PM8006)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeff Vitale, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Vitale

Jeff Vitale New Member Thread Starter

Hi all:

I have been trying to decide on an amp... I have Sonist Audio Concerto 3 speakers... (pretty efficient... 97 DB) and a Schiit Bifrost Multi DAC...

The flavor of the day (today) is Marantz... I am looking at the PM5005, as well as the PM8005 and PM8006...

It seems like the only difference between the new PM8006 and the PM8005 (or even OM8004) is a new kind of phono stage... if it makes a difference.. it's worth the extra money.. but I dont know enough to determine if its marketing hype or something useful

Here is the new musical phono stage description from marantz...

"Marantz Musical Phono EQ uses two-stage amplification, allowing less gain per stage for lower distortion. The PM8006 combines Marantz HDAM technology with JFETs (junction gate field-effect transistors) in the input stage, providing high input impedance that eliminates the need for AC coupling capacitors and simplifies the signal path, vastly improving the signal purity overall.

Marantz rethought the re-equalization process within the phono stage, splitting it into passive and active sections for more accurate equalization. The RIAA correction is carried out within an HDAM, while amplification is in the hands of a high-quality op-amp that runs in Class A mode for minimal distortion and clean, open sound. With Marantz Musical Phono EQ there’s no need to consider upgrading the PM8006 with offboard phono stage"

The PM6006 also boasts a "Toroidal Transformer" If that's something i should appreciate please someone let me know as well :)

Thx

Jeff

On_the_dunes likes this.
  2. HankM

HankM Senior Member

As an owner of a PM8004 all I really know is I believe the PM8005 had a slightly better power supply. The phono input I have never used on my 8004, I use a dedicated phono preamp. I have read reviews that stated the MM input on the 8000 series is very good and capable of good sound. Phono preamps can have advantages over built-in stages. The PM 6006 is a nice amplifier but the PM8005 or 8006 will give you better performance, also the 8000 series is built in Japan in the Marantz Reference factory.

Jeff Vitale likes this.
  3. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Marantz phono sections have typically measured superbly - great RIAA accuracy (within .25db, if I recall), great signal to noise ratio, excellent overload characteristics. You'll see opinion is mostly that it's a given that you should use an external where such amps are concerned, I'd say that's not necessarily the case. As to the 6 vs 5, I'd wager it's likely not worth the price differential - if there's a good deal on the 5 pick it up.

Shel, Jeff Vitale and johnny q like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.