Question: owning LPs and downloading music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Damián, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

OK, this'll sound a bit weird, but I was wondering:

I understand the use (and I assume downloading) of MP3s and such material is legal as long as you own the original CD/cassette/whatever.

This got me thinking: suppose I pick up an LP secondhand, say, in a thrift store. Would downloading MP3s of the music on that LP be legal or not? I assume the answer 'd be 'borderline at best', but still I'm curious.

BTW, this is hypothetical (no, really!), I was just listening to some music and the thought came to me.

Cheers

2. Mike

Mike New Member

This is not correct. You cannot download someone elses MP3's just because you own the title. But seeing as you are in Argentina I don't think you have much to worry about. :)

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Which means that peer-to-peer software is essentially illegal unless it is truly a PD recording (not a PD in the UK, but copyrighted in the US recording).

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It would not be legal, no. Same for if you bought a piece of software. That doesn't mean you can download the same piece of software on the net and burn it and call IT legal.

Would be silly anyways. The LP should sound different, if not, better than -most- any MP3 made.

Mp3's should have been the hamburger helper of digital.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ah yes, but it's filet mignon to those who can't afford the high priced Cee Dee's...soon to be reasonably priced! A firm move in the right direction:)

6. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Well we do have a penal code over here too.

It's a ridiculous argument in any case (mine, that is) .. if it was legal people would rush to the thrift stores and flea markets, buy trashed copies of LPs for pennies and then download the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.