Question re: EBay payments.... PayPal only?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by bug2362, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I sell an item to a local buyer on EBay, are we allowed to do a cash transaction or do they
    Now require PayPal only?
    Thanks, Ann

2. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

The transaction can be completed in cash, but you should probably make sure the buyer marks the item as received before you mark it as paid. I haven't had a buyer complain about this request to date.

3. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I thought PayPal would not protect you if the item was not shipped with a tracking number. Has this changed?

4. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Nope. :(

5. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

PayPal only covers payments made through their system. Why would they protect
    a cash transaction?

6. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I wasn't writing about cash transactions, the question dealt with Ebay requiring PayPal OR a cash transaction. I wanted to question the PayPal part of the question because I believed it would leave Bug2362 unprotected if she took PayPal.

7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I misunderstood. You went off in a different direction than I did. It appeared to me that the
    OP wanted to take cash rather than PayPal. If you are not a regular seller PayPal can hold
    your payout for a considerable amount of time.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You can accept cash. If I were you, I'd insist on cash if the buyer is going to pick up the item. Avoid paypal with pick up type situations.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I once sold a boxset on ebay (BIN postage costs inclusive). The buyer paid right away but he wasn't very far so asked if he could pick up the item instead of me posting it. I told him no problem and I even offered to refund an amount equal to the postage costs. But then I wondered about him claiming he never received it. So I called Paypal and they told me that I should make sure that ALL communication about the pick up be conducted through the ebay system (at the time paypal and ebay were still one company) as they would refer to that if he did make an item not received claim. In the end there was no issue but it did make me feel better that they would consider my side if the seller did make a claim.

However, ebay and paypal are now completely separate and paypal doesn't have access to your ebay communication and in a recent item not as described claim I made, they refused to accept an ebay message from the seller stating he had the item, they would only rely on tracking (which was not updating and the seller was being difficult).

10. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Yes. You are not protected as a seller if you can't provide a tracking number in case the buyer claims he didn't receive the item.

(Paypal for friends and family might be an option?)

11. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I started selling on Ebay and the amount from one of my sales is being temporarily held by Paypal.

I kid you not...the date Paypal says these funds should be available to me is December 31, 1969. :agree:

12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

See? The establishment knows about the alien/multi-dimensional re-set catastrophe that will happen when the renegade planet Niburu passes by the Earth and unleashes the magnetic cataclysm. Seems you'll be one of the lucky ones to be transported to the past. You lucky dog. Buy gold, IBM, um, Apple when it becomes available then cash out for a fortune when the time comes. I wonder how PayPal will make your funds available when there aren't any computers around? Snail mail payment? Or maybe you get to take a hand-held device with you. Make sure to go to Tower Records buy up everything to sell here in the classifieds section later. Make a killing.

showtaper and rob68 like this.
  13. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Can't wait for my funds to free up so I have enough money to buy that new Doors album with "Touch Me" on it!

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.